Author Topic: I'm calling it...our #3 draft pick for 2016. Buddy Hield. Boom.  (Read 47713 times)

Re: I'm calling it...our #3 draft pick for 2016. Buddy Hield. Boom.
« Reply #195 on: May 24, 2016, 04:34:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
heh... i'll take your guys word for it.  His age can't be ignored.  He'll be a 23 year old rookie.  You best be very confident he's not going to come in and struggle, because most likely he is what he is.

He's the same age as Nik Stauskas.  Here's how their stats compared:

Sauce Freshman - 11 points, 3 rebounds, 1.3 assists, 46%/44%/85%
Hield Freshman - 7.8 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 38%/24%/83%

Sauce Sophomore - 17.5 points, 2.9 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 47%/44%/82%
Hield Sophomore - 16.5 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 45%/39%/75%

Sauce is 6'6 205.  Hield is 6'4 215.   Obviously, Sauce had trouble getting his shot off on the NBA level.  We'll see if Hield can do it.   

It'll be interesting to see how Sauce/Hield have developed after Sauce's two years of NBA trial by fire and Hield's two seasons of beating up on younger players in the Amateurs.

Firstly, why do you keep on bringing up guys who are NOTHING like Hield for comparison?  The only thing Stauskas and Hield have in common is that both are good outside shooters.  That's it.  You may as well be comparing Kevin Durant to Kyle Korver while you're at it.

Secondly, Hield is not 6'4".  He is 6'5" / 212 pounds with a 6'9.25" wingspan, 6% body fat and above average NBA athleticism. 

Stauskas on draft day was  6'6" / 207 pounds with 6'7" wingspan, 12% body fat and all the athleticism of a rock that's stuck in quicksand. 

In that respect, Stauskas is FAR more like Murray then he is like Hield, which is precisely why I am far more concerned about Murray working out at the NBA level.
What kind of pro do you expect Hield to be, Crimson?  I've read that he can be a nice role player.  A one-dimensional distance shooter who will struggle to create in the pros, but could still give you 8-15 points in his prime.  Could he he have a Kyle Korver-type impact on a contender someday?

Genuine question - have you actually watched any footage of Hield from last season?  Have you jumped not YouTube and watched the highlights of any of his 2016 games?

If you haven't, then I strongly suggest you take a modest 15-20 minutes out of your day and watch 3 or 4 of those game highlight videos just to give you an indication of exactly what Hield is capable of
Crimson... a highlight video of a 4th year college player excelling against younger competition isn't going to give me an idea of what Hield is capable of in the NBA no more than video of Adam MOrrison dominating on the College level does. 

But yeah, I was curious what you thought he'd be.  Sounds like you think he'll be an all-star.  Interesting.

Just curious... do you also expect Doug McDermott to be an all-star?

« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2016, 05:19:51 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
heh... i'll take your guys word for it.  His age can't be ignored.  He'll be a 23 year old rookie.  You best be very confident he's not going to come in and struggle, because most likely he is what he is.

Sauce is 6'6 205.  Hield is 6'4 215.   Obviously, Sauce had trouble getting his shot off on the NBA level.  We'll see if Hield can do it.   

It'll be interesting to see how Sauce/Hield have developed after Sauce's two years of NBA trial by fire and Hield's two seasons of beating up on younger players in the Amateurs.

Firstly, why do you keep on bringing up guys who are NOTHING like Hield for comparison?  The only thing Stauskas and Hield have in common is that both are good outside shooters.  That's it.  You may as well be comparing Kevin Durant to Kyle Korver while you're at it.

Secondly, Hield is not 6'4".  He is 6'5" / 212 pounds with a 6'9.25" wingspan, 6% body fat and above average NBA athleticism. 

Stauskas on draft day was  6'6" / 207 pounds with 6'7" wingspan, 12% body fat and all the athleticism of a rock that's stuck in quicksand. 

In that respect, Stauskas is FAR more like Murray then he is like Hield, which is precisely why I am far more concerned about Murray working out at the NBA level.
What kind of pro do you expect Hield to be, Crimson?  I've read that he can be a nice role player.  A one-dimensional distance shooter who will struggle to create in the pros, but could still give you 8-15 points in his prime.  Could he he have a Kyle Korver-type impact on a contender someday?

If Hield could be anything like the sharp-shooters that are dominant in this league now:  Korver, Reddick, McCollum, Klay Thompson, etc...I think he is an automatic must-draft in the top 5.  The statistics I have seen on his college output highly indicate he can be that type of player.

You could argue that the Cs might get better value at #3, but we aren't playing for grades from Chad Ford, we are playing for a championship.  If Hield can step in right away and shoot 40% from NBA 3, I don't see how we can pass him up.

« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2016, 05:31:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If Hield could be anything like the sharp-shooters that are dominant in this league now:  Korver, Reddick, McCollum, Klay Thompson, etc...I think he is an automatic must-draft in the top 5.  The statistics I have seen on his college output highly indicate he can be that type of player.

You could argue that the Cs might get better value at #3, but we aren't playing for grades from Chad Ford, we are playing for a championship.  If Hield can step in right away and shoot 40% from NBA 3, I don't see how we can pass him up.
What's separating Hield from the other sharp-shooting Seniors like Doug McDermott?

« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2016, 06:07:30 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Danny Ainge is not gonna draft Buddy Heild at #3. I would love him to but he won't and I will tell you why. Look everyone knows I love the kid but I'm sick n tired of arguing the point. Instead of arguing about the talent he's capable of, Danny doesn't see this. Danny sees getting the most value out of the pick #3 as humanly possible. He's a snake, they all are but that's what Danny thrives on. He's going to trade #3 or trade whatever player he picks at #3 with no intention of putting him on the floor. Danny is going to put Dragon Bender on a pedestal even if it means him making the pick at #3. People are calling Danny on the phone right now about Jordan Mickey and Terry Rozier. Raptors want to trade #9 pick and Jazz wanna trade #12. Danny is not a great drafter but he builds teams through trades and with all the assets he's got at his disposal he's gonna build through trading young players for unutilized talent. Danny believes this is a opportunity driven league. So if anyone thinks that Danny is looking to draft the next superstar, stop and think again. Even if he drafts Bender, some team is gonna call him about Bender and offer him a plate full of talent for him. Buddy Heild will go to a team and become a great talent and one day maybe he falls on Danny's lap through a trade and he will get his opportunity to shine. But Danny's not drafting anyone to play next season that's for sure.

« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Danny Ainge is not gonna draft Buddy Heild at #3. I would love him to but he won't and I will tell you why. Look everyone knows I love the kid but I'm sick n tired of arguing the point. Instead of arguing about the talent he's capable of, Danny doesn't see this. Danny sees getting the most value out of the pick #3 as humanly possible. He's a snake, they all are but that's what Danny thrives on. He's going to trade #3 or trade whatever player he picks at #3 with no intention of putting him on the floor. Danny is going to put Dragon Bender on a pedestal even if it means him making the pick at #3. People are calling Danny on the phone right now about Jordan Mickey and Terry Rozier. Raptors want to trade #9 pick and Jazz wanna trade #12. Danny is not a great drafter but he builds teams through trades and with all the assets he's got at his disposal he's gonna build through trading young players for unutilized talent. Danny believes this is a opportunity driven league. So if anyone thinks that Danny is looking to draft the next superstar, stop and think again. Even if he drafts Bender, some team is gonna call him about Bender and offer him a plate full of talent for him. Buddy Heild will go to a team and become a great talent and one day maybe he falls on Danny's lap through a trade and he will get his opportunity to shine. But Danny's not drafting anyone to play next season that's for sure.
Everyone knows he can shoot 3s.

Can you answer LarBrds above question? What differentiates him from Doug McDermott. Im not at all against picking him, but I am trying to determine if he will be a really nice role player or a star.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2016, 06:30:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Can you answer LarBrds above question? What differentiates him from Doug McDermott. Im not at all against picking him, but I am trying to determine if he will be a really nice role player or a star.

I always felt McDermott was a bit lead footed and didn't have the best length. Heild has solid positional size (6-5), an equal wingspan to McDermott, and is better athletically. I think his ability to be a better defender will help him stay on the court and allow him the opportunity for better overall success.

« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2016, 06:45:05 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39

Look, some people have the ability to take over games. Its called the (It) factor. Buddy has that it factor. He led his team deep into the final four and lit it up. What separates Heild from McDermont is his preparation and determination to the game and is showing growth. I'm a firm believer that players blossom at different stages in their respective career. Heild is blossoming right now and he's going to blossom even more. I can't tell you how I definitely know that he's gonna be a star I just have that feeling about him. But it makes no difference because Ainge is in a total different mindset right now. He's a trade master. That's how he built the team thus far. I think out of his starting five, only Smart and Bradley were drafted. Crowder, Amir and Isaiah were through trades. Sully's not coming back so I feel a trade coming to replace him.

« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
What's separating Hield from the other sharp-shooting Seniors like Doug McDermott?

Doug McDermott was 5th in the NBA in 3 Pt %.  You don't want a player like that?

« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Most people had Greg McDermott going anywhere from around 8 to 18 in the 2014 draft.  There was literally NO ONE projecting him as a top five pick because there were much, much more serious questions about his size and athleticism in the NBA than ANYONE has raised about Hield.  And he was universally seen as a big defensive liablity. 

Virtually everyone is rating Hield much higher than McDermott as an NBA prospect.  This is just more of LarBrd's pitiful trolling.

Mike

« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2016, 07:02:22 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Like I mentioned above, why does he have to differentiate from Doug McDermott?  If you are of the mindset that we have to maximize grade/value at the #3 spot so Chard Ford will give us a A for a draft grade, then yeah draft Bender.

I guess my larger point is that if Danny can be highly confident that Hield will be a really good 'role player' (like a JJ Reddick) - then that is worth a top 5 pick, especially as a 3 pt shooter which we desperately need.  And if we can't move down to grab him later than taking him at #3 is fine by me.

« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Doug McDermott was 5th in the NBA in 3 Pt %.  You don't want a player like that?

As the #3 pick in the draft, our best draft spot in over 20 years? Hell No!!

« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:35 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

Genuine question - have you actually watched any footage of Hield from last season?  Have you jumped not YouTube and watched the highlights of any of his 2016 games?

If you haven't, then I strongly suggest you take a modest 15-20 minutes out of your day and watch 3 or 4 of those game highlight videos just to give you an indication of exactly what Hield is capable of
Crimson... a highlight video of a 4th year college player excelling against younger competition isn't going to give me an idea of what Hield is capable of in the NBA no more than video of Adam MOrrison dominating on the College level does. 

But yeah, I was curious what you thought he'd be.  Sounds like you think he'll be an all-star.  Interesting.

Just curious... do you also expect Doug McDermott to be an all-star?

Was Kyle Korver an All-Star?

« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2016, 07:06:50 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo

As the #3 pick in the draft, our best draft spot in over 20 years? Hell No!!

Would you rather draft Bender and have a total flame-out?  I am not advocating either way but understand if you draft the better prospect you may wind up getting the worse NBA player.

« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2016, 07:08:10 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

With the #3 pick, I'd want a player with more star potential than Doug McDermott.  I would rather take a player with more star potential and more bust potential than a sure-thing role player who would be likely to perform at a JJ Redick level.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

With the #3 pick, I'd want a player with more star potential than Doug McDermott.  I would rather take a player with more star potential and more bust potential than a sure-thing role player who would be likely to perform at a JJ Redick level.

I'd agree with this sentiment, especially since Boston has 2 other 1st round picks which could be used to select more of a "sure thing".