Author Topic: Trade Down in the draft  (Read 4015 times)

Trade Down in the draft
« on: May 19, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
So I've been thinking long and hard about what the Celtics should do at 3 and for me it's been either Bender or trade the pick for a star. A thought that crossed my mind recently is to add better value to our pick. At 3 I say we trade down 1 spot with Pheonix because they love Bender. In exchange we get the 4th and the 13th overall picks in the draft.  Here is how our draft would then go.

4th Overall Pick: SG Jamaal Murray
Trade 13th, 16th, 31st, and 45th to get 8th Overall
8th Overall: C Jakob Peoltl
23rd: PF Brice Johnson
35th: PF Guerschon Yabusele
51st: Jaron Blossomgame

Stash Yabusele and we bolster our frontcourt with two of the best frontcourt prospects in the draft that do complement each other very well. Brice Johnson is a shot blocking and rebounding forward with a nice mid range jump shot to space the floor with Peoltl. Peoltl is a solid, but long defender that isn't the greatest shot blocker who can go to work on the block and is a good passer. That would be great for our squad making us a lot stronger in the post.

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG: Avery Bradley
SF: Jae Crowder
PF: Brice Johnson
C: Jakob Peoltl
May not get the star we were looking for, but bolsters our frontcourt, adds 3 point shooting with youth in Murray, and we still have the ability to switch picks with Brooklyn next year in a star laden draft with Tatum, Jackson, Giles, Fultz, Ntilikina, Ball, Bolden. So considering almost all those players will declare next year than I can almost guarantee you we will end up with a player that all of us will like next year because honestly I'd be fine with any of those picks.

Re: Trade Down in the draft
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 08:40:13 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Like the idea, pass on brice Johnson. Since the rest of that hypothetical draft is a safe bet, I say you swing the bat at 23 instead of bunting. Maker would be a good risk at that spot, and worst case scenario he becomes a hustling shot blocker with a mid range j that is 3 inches taller than johnson.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 08:54:38 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
Like the idea, pass on brice Johnson. Since the rest of that hypothetical draft is a safe bet, I say you swing the bat at 23 instead of bunting. Maker would be a good risk at that spot, and worst case scenario he becomes a hustling shot blocker with a mid range j that is 3 inches taller than johnson.
See where you're going there, but this isn't necessarily a bunt. Maker isn't elite at any one category. Johnson is an elite rebounder and the one thing that has been known to translate to the next level is a the motor and hustle to rebound. He is more athletic than Maker and he's a better shooter. He's also a lot more ready to play as well so it allows him to start. He could be a Faried type player with a mid range J. Faried was drafted in the same range too.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 09:08:59 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
Or we could trade down to 4:
4th Overall Pick: C Jakob Peoltl
Trade Rozier, Crowder, 13, and 16 for Butler
23rd Overall Pick: PF Brice Johnson
Trade 31st, 34th, and 51st for the 26th
26th Overall Pick: PF Zhou Qi
41st Overall Pick: SF Jaron Blossomgame
SF: Jimmy Butler
Stash Zhou Qi and groom him as the future at the PF position.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:11:37 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
See where you're going there, but this isn't necessarily a bunt. Maker isn't elite at any one category. Johnson is an elite rebounder and the one thing that has been known to translate to the next level is a the motor and hustle to rebound. He is more athletic than Maker and he's a better shooter. He's also a lot more ready to play as well so it allows him to start. He could be a Faried type player with a mid range J. Faried was drafted in the same range too.

Johnson is a low ceiling player that weighed 209 at the combine. Before the rebounding can translate he needs to add some serious bulk to not get completely mauled when a big puts a body on him. As is I'm not sure why you have him starting when Olynyk, Jerebko, and probably even Mickey are better.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney

Johnson is a low ceiling player that weighed 209 at the combine. Before the rebounding can translate he needs to add some serious bulk to not get completely mauled when a big puts a body on him. As is I'm not sure why you have him starting when Olynyk, Jerebko, and probably even Mickey are better.

Yeah he's 209, but he also has a ridiculous 38" vertical and a 8'10.25". So he can pretty much reach rebounds when they are 12' off the ground. Not sure how many other players can do that.

Yes Olynyk is better, but the problem is that he isn't a great defender and he isn't that great of a rebounder. While Peoltl would pick up the slack rebounding the ball, I'm not sure we would be setting him up for the best success by placing him alongside Olynyk. Peoltl is a underrated shotblocker so it may work. I'd be willing to test it out for sure. The reason I chose Johnson is because his strengths are our major weaknesses.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 10:39:06 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
6ers are going to pick Dunn we won't trade back then lol.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 11:14:55 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Brice Johnson isn't a starting PF at 209 pounds.... 

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »

Offline CroCorvus

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
If we could trade down with the Suns, our 3rd pick for theirs 4th and 13th, and the go to the Bulls with that offer for Butler. We can include AB and Kelly and maybe even our own pick.

We draft our starting center prospect with the Mavs pick and our new backup SF with our Philly pick.

We get rid of James Young, Zeller and possibly Sully.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 09:57:50 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Yeah he's 209, but he also has a ridiculous 38" vertical and a 8'10.25". So he can pretty much reach rebounds when they are 12' off the ground. Not sure how many other players can do that.

Yes Olynyk is better, but the problem is that he isn't a great defender and he isn't that great of a rebounder. While Peoltl would pick up the slack rebounding the ball, I'm not sure we would be setting him up for the best success by placing him alongside Olynyk. Peoltl is a underrated shotblocker so it may work. I'd be willing to test it out for sure. The reason I chose Johnson is because his strengths are our major weaknesses.

Maker was clocked at 36 inch vertical at the combine. Given his elite size compared to Johnson  I think it's okay he gives up a couple inches vertical wise.

I also think makers work ethic is off the charts. Will Johnson be better immediately? Probably, but maker has the potentitled to be 3x the player Johnson is. I say go for upside and absurd athleticism for a guy the size of a center. Not to mention his 9' 2.5" standing reach to go along with that vert. Using your logic maker could get a rebound 12' 2.5" off the ground.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I'm not sure if the Suns bite in the trade but Bender will create an interesting situation for both the Suns and Cs. If the Cs take bender and a trade isn't plausible for the Suns they are realistically stuck taking a BPA who is redundant with their current roster (Murray) or reaching for a better fit ( brown or Ellenson). Another senario that came to my mind is if Thibs wants to shake things up and make a play for Bender figuring the potential of a Towns / bender/ wiggins front court could be really good in two years. Maybe #5 and Dieng for #3 and #23
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If we traded down to #4 and kept the pick then I'd go for Brown. I'll always choose defence over a shooter. Also people are giving Skal a pass for the system he was in but not Brown? Cal turned out to be a bad place for him.

Mechanics on his jump shot aren't bad, solid defender, NBA ready body. Should draw comparisons to Johnson or Winslow from last year's draft.

Still not sold on Murray, his weaknesses are glaring at an NBA level. Buddy... I guess I just haven't bought into the hype.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 09:07:48 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Brice Johnson isn't a starting PF at 209 pounds....

Neither is bender at ~ 215 pounds, but guys seem to be crazy about him.

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 09:17:44 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I'm not sure if the Suns bite in the trade but Bender will create an interesting situation for both the Suns and Cs. If the Cs take bender and a trade isn't plausible for the Suns they are realistically stuck taking a BPA who is redundant with their current roster (Murray) or reaching for a better fit ( brown or Ellenson). Another senario that came to my mind is if Thibs wants to shake things up and make a play for Bender figuring the potential of a Towns / bender/ wiggins front court could be really good in two years. Maybe #5 and Dieng for #3 and #23

Make it #5 and Dieng for #3 alone and I'll stay on the phone.  If you want #3 bad enough, then you're going to overpay for it.  I'm holding on to #23 in that situation.

Rak

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 09:36:30 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Make it #5 and Dieng for #3 alone and I'll stay on the phone.  If you want #3 bad enough, then you're going to overpay for it.  I'm holding on to #23 in that situation.

Rak

I'm also not taking the quantity for #3. If we trade any of our picks it is to consolidate assets not dissolve them.

To me the only reason the trade with Phx works is if we can use #13 and #16 to move up into the back end of the top 10. Otherwise we are just exacerbating our pick problems