Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers actively looking to trade the #2 - should the Celts make an offer?  (Read 10005 times)

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Very well thought out post, crimson.  TP.  That would seem to become a pretty good situation for Philly.  Does Phoenix actually want a plodder like Jahlil though or do they want to play more up tempo?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really don't see a deal working with the Lakers, we definitely could deal the number 3 pick to another team. Most three-way deals just are too complicated and fall apart at this level.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Chicago reportedly likes Dunn and wants a pg in the draft. I wonder if they would trade Butler to the Lakers then select Dunn which would leave us with one of Ingram/Simmons. Wishful thinking but anything is possible.
Its not likely because if they want Dunn they will know they can get him at 3 or later where the price will be much cheaper.

Actually they are pretty much assured he will be there at 5.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Chicago reportedly likes Dunn and wants a pg in the draft. I wonder if they would trade Butler to the Lakers then select Dunn which would leave us with one of Ingram/Simmons. Wishful thinking but anything is possible.
Its not likely because if they want Dunn they will know they can get him at 3 or later where the price will be much cheaper.

quite probably 7, if not later.

Simmons, Ingram, Bender, Murray, Hield and Brown all likely taken before Dunn.  I don't see Dunn turning into much more than a better version of MCW.  The others all have the potential to be much more.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Simmons, Ingram, Bender, Murray, Hield and Brown all likely taken before Dunn.  I don't see Dunn turning into much more than a better version of MCW.  The others all have the potential to be much more.

I still think they'd prefer to trade for the three to have the certainty of him being available rather than hoping he's available at 5, 6, or 7. At least in this year's draft, the jump in value between 7 and 3 isn't nearly as much as the jump in value between 3 and 2, meaning 3 would be the ideal pick to trade for given the certainty of his availability, our interest in their assets, and our tradable assets that would interest them.

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Why do the Bulls need to trade for #2? They could likely pick up Dunn at 3,4 or even 5. Given the difference in value between even #2 and #3, particularly as LA would perceive it, trading for 3 or 4 is a no-brainer.

Mike

Maybe this is why we are hearing all the Bender hype.  Because Ainge is negotiating a Butler deal with the #3 pick.

As much as Chicago likes Dunn, Ainge wants to show them that we like Bender-- make them up pony up to get a deal done. 

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I still think they'd prefer to trade for the three to have the certainty of him being available rather than hoping he's available at 5, 6, or 7. At least in this year's draft, the jump in value between 7 and 3 isn't nearly as much as the jump in value between 3 and 2, meaning 3 would be the ideal pick to trade for given the certainty of his availability, our interest in their assets, and our tradable assets that would interest them.
if they want Dunn that much and are willing to trade for the #3, I'd love to hear what they're offering.  if it gets us Butler with us having to add fewer decent pieces to the deal, that would be ideal.
3,23 and AB works for me.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Why do the Bulls need to trade for #2? They could likely pick up Dunn at 3,4 or even 5. Given the difference in value between even #2 and #3, particularly as LA would perceive it, trading for 3 or 4 is a no-brainer.

Mike

Maybe this is why we are hearing all the Bender hype.  Because Ainge is negotiating a Butler deal with the #3 pick.

As much as Chicago likes Dunn, Ainge wants to show them that we like Bender-- make them up pony up to get a deal done.

I kind of had Phoenix pegged for Bender. Thinking #3 and #23 for #4 and #13.

Mike

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
errr....can anyone post the link on where the actual topic is referring to? I can't seem to find it. Is it a true rumor or is this a rumor in someone's head?

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

if they want Dunn that much and are willing to trade for the #3, I'd love to hear what they're offering.  if it gets us Butler with us having to add fewer decent pieces to the deal, that would be ideal.
3,23 and AB works for me.

Yeah, it'll be something like that, though I'd bet they'd ultimately want Crowder over Bradley. Though they're similar age, Bradley has many more NBA miles on him than Crowder, ultimately making him a better prospect to many people I think.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Lakers aren't trading the #2 unless they are blown away with an offer.  Listening to Woj, Kyler and some of the others they aren't actively looking to trade the pick.  Provide a link please....

I'm not the OP, but this is what I could find.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2016/5/18/11701830/la-lakers-trade-rumors-second-overall-pick-paul-george-demarcus-cousins

I particularly liked they part where they discussed a Jeff Teague to Philly in exchange for #1.

Mike

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
They prob gonna offer #2 and Russell for Okafor to then spin it for Cousins

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
errr....can anyone post the link on where the actual topic is referring to? I can't seem to find it. Is it a true rumor or is this a rumor in someone's head?

I think it's consensus that they will look to include the pick as a package to get a star now (like cousins or butler or george). I don't think they'll want to trade down.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Mike

I kind of had Phoenix pegged for Bender. Thinking #3 and #23 for #4 and #13.

Mike
A Chicago vs. Phoenix bidding war would be nice.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
If the Sixers draft Ingram, I'd offer Nets '17, #22, #35, AB and Crowder for Simmons. That should get their attention. We take a step back, but it's worth it for Simmons.