Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers actively looking to trade the #2 - should the Celts make an offer?  (Read 10006 times)

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I don't believe it.  Why would they shop the #2? With Kobe off the books they have tons of cap space to sign free agents and still keep the pick. Derozan would slot right into Kobe's position.

I rate the odds of Cousins or Butler being traded as very low.

2017 pick issue

They don't want to become the 76ers
Can you explain please?  LAL will use their cash to sign big name free agents.  That is the opposite of the 76ers approach.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I hate the Lakers. I hope whatever players they draft or trade are utter failures in LA and they are stuck in cap hell for years to come. They have been actively tanking for years and are getting top 2 picks for their troubles (why are they not dropping down like every other team?!).

I really hope they screw this up. They have enough advantages already.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I don't think we've got what they're looking for.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree.

Like us, the Lakers want established all-stars that can bring their 'proud' franchise back to relevance.

If they can't get a player of that description, then I would imagine they would accept their Simmons/Ingram pick and move forward knowing they have a potential franchise player to build around.

I don't think they WANT to trade the #2 pick - I think they are just open to doing so if there is a chance to land an established star and fast-track their rebuild. 

Same as us basically.  I don't think Danny WANTS to trade the #3 pick - I'm sure there are probably a handful of guys available at #3 who he'd be extremely happy to bring on board and build around.  I just think he wants to do everything he can to take this team to the next level as quickly as possible, and if there is a chance to bring in an established star in return for the #3 pick he wouldn't hesitate to do it.

If anything I actually think we have a better shot at getting the #1 from Philly then we do at getting the #2 from LA.   Philly are desperate for a good PG right now, and while Simmons/Ingram are obviously amazing talents, taking one of Dunn / Hield / Murray may well help the Sixers more than Simmons/Ingram would.  It's quite a long shot, but the Sixers may well decide to trade down to #3 if they are 100% sure they can get Dunn there (and pick up a few more assets in the process).

After all, the Sixers are far more than 'one piece away' from being a competitive team.  They need help at pretty much every position except center, so they might get more benefit from having multiple picks rather than one really high pick. 

Lets say:
1) The Sixers trade #1 to the Celtics for #3, #16 and Crowder
2) The Sixers trade Okfor to the Suns (who desperately need a big) for #4 and Knight

The Sixers would then move forward with #3, #4, #16, #24, #26 and Crowder.  They could draft Dunn, Hield and any one of Sabonis/Ellenson (depending who falls where) and move forward with a lineup of Dunn, Hield, Crowder, Ellenson/Sabonis and Embiid (with Noel as insurance for Embiid).

In all honesty, that's probably a better option for them then moving on with say, Ingram/Simmons alone.  With Dunn/Hield/Embiid they have three guys with all-star potential so they aren't putting all of their eggs in one basket...and that team has the talent to become a playoff team very quickly.   

The Celtics could then draft Ingram at the SF spot to replace Crowder or take Simmons and find a replacement SF elsewhere..we need a starting caliber PF so either option works.

The Suns would then move forward with Bledsoe, Booker and Okafor.  Much as I dislike Okafor, this draft is horribly weak in the front-court.  Okafor is has much higher upside then Bender, Poeltl or Ellenson, and while Labissiere's upside is huge he is also a massive risk and not a guy you'd reach at #4 to take.  The Suns also have great shooters in Bledsoe and Booker, and a defensive big man in Chandler, so they are actually a very good fit for Okafor.

Of course I'm not insane enough to believe that this actually has a good chance of happening, but I think it makes more sense then getting #2 from the Lakers.  We just don't have anything that the Lakers want.

I just think he's keeping open to options in case there is a chance to take an extablished star who can take the team to the next level.   

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Me neither.

That said, we're a good 3rd team partner in any potential trade, so I wouldn't put it past the realm of possibility that we can sneak in some involvement in which we swap pick 3 for 2 giving out other assets in the process.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't believe it.  Why would they shop the #2? With Kobe off the books they have tons of cap space to sign free agents and still keep the pick. Derozan would slot right into Kobe's position.

I rate the odds of Cousins or Butler being traded as very low.

2017 pick issue

They don't want to become the 76ers
Can you explain please?  LAL will use their cash to sign big name free agents.  That is the opposite of the 76ers approach.

I think the idea is that they want to acquire one star via trade to attract another (or two) via free agency. Otherwise they have plenty of money but might have to settle for second tier stars who aren't really worth it.

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Chicago reportedly likes Dunn and wants a pg in the draft. I wonder if they would trade Butler to the Lakers then select Dunn which would leave us with one of Ingram/Simmons. Wishful thinking but anything is possible.

There could be something to this. Chicago just fired some one that was in Rose's camp. I saw it real quick yesterday, but can't find it today. But maybe they do Rose for # 2 and snag Dunn.

And with the Sixers now interested in Simmons, because they NEED an other big. Ingram will be there at 3.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Chicago reportedly likes Dunn and wants a pg in the draft. I wonder if they would trade Butler to the Lakers then select Dunn which would leave us with one of Ingram/Simmons. Wishful thinking but anything is possible.

There could be something to this. Chicago just fired some one that was in Rose's camp. I saw it real quick yesterday, but can't find it today. But maybe they do Rose for # 2 and snag Dunn.

And with the Sixers now interested in Simmons, because they NEED an other big. Ingram will be there at 3.

In what world is the present version of Rose worth the number two pick?? lol

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

Where did you see this at? If it's true, that could go a long ways in us trading for Butler, since number three is the ideal pick to take Dunn at. Does Crowder and number three get it done if so? Would we have to add number 16, too?

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Why don't we just send 3 pick to Chicago for Butler in that case?

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Lakers aren't trading the #2 unless they are blown away with an offer.  Listening to Woj, Kyler and some of the others they aren't actively looking to trade the pick.  Provide a link please....

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Thoughts?

Depends.... Most people think that our #3 and other picks and Smart can land us (Bulter, Cousins, M Gasol etc)   So their number two would have to net us our best players.  IT, Bradely, Smart or Jae to start.....   No thanks.   Ingram is still a year or two out from being a top three player on our team even with out those guys.   

Now a sign and trade with Turner or Sulley and #16 and our first.  Sure.   But they could get a second tier vet.   

They want vets
Diggles

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Apparently the same world as the team who acquires the number two pick for Rose decides to take Kris Dunn.

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

Lets say:
1) The Sixers trade #1 to the Celtics for #3, #16 and Crowder
2) The Sixers trade Okfor to the Suns (who desperately need a big) for #4 and Knight

The Sixers would then move forward with #3, #4, #16, #24, #26 and Crowder.  They could draft Dunn, Hield and any one of Sabonis/Ellenson (depending who falls where) and move forward with a lineup of Dunn, Hield, Crowder, Ellenson/Sabonis and Embiid (with Noel as insurance for Embiid).

Why not just trade Okafor for the #2? Works for LA

Then Philly can roll with a front court of Ingram, Simmons, Embiid with Saric and Noel off the bench. Keep Smith at PG and fill in the rest of the bench.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Why do the Bulls need to trade for #2? They could likely pick up Dunn at 3,4 or even 5. Given the difference in value between even #2 and #3, particularly as LA would perceive it, trading for 3 or 4 is a no-brainer.

Mike

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

BattleWorld and Earth-C-Minus come to mind.