Author Topic: If We Cannot Trade the Third Overall Pick for a Player, How About Trading Down?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
If we are unable to pull off a trade of the third overall pick that would land us a starter, how about trading down in exchange for another future unprotected pick (thereby increasing our lottery odds next year)?

For example:

- Third overall pick to Sacramento in exchange for the eighth overall pick and Sacramento's 2017 unprotected pick (or, say, Orlando's 11th and 2017 unprotected if Sacramento will not bite)

- Use our top pick on Jakob Pöltl, arguably the best traditional center in the draft (he appears unlikely to become an all-star, but could become a solid starter under the tutelage of Stevens)

I could live with that rather than *sigh* picking another guard or *gasp* taking a big risk with Bender...

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
3rd to Minny for 5th and Dieng and/or Lavine
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah I had the same thought.  If it's mostly a crap shoot in the 3-10 tier, we might as well trade down and pick up some extra bits.

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Goodness, why would MIN do that?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
- Third overall pick to Sacramento in exchange for the eighth overall pick and Sacramento's 2017 unprotected pick (or, say, Orlando's 11th and 2017 unprotected if Sacramento will not bite)

The Kings can't trade that pick.  It's a shame they don't have more assets because Vlade Divac is reportedly in love with Buddy Hield and I can see him overpaying to move up and take mini-Doug McDermott.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Yeah I had the same thought.  If it's mostly a crap shoot in the 3-10 tier, we might as well trade down and pick up some extra bits.

That's what all those second round picks are for.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2931

The Kings can't trade that pick.  It's a shame they don't have more assets because Vlade Divac is reportedly in love with Buddy Hield and I can see him overpaying to move up and take mini-Doug McDermott.

What do you mean they can't trade that pick? As long as they're getting a pick back in return, then they pass the Stepien Rule.

EDIT: Nevermind, I thought you were talking about the 2016 pick. You're meaning the 2017 pick, though.

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I'd rather Danny just take his guy at #3.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Trade down for MORE picks in a weak draft, or to pick up additional role players?

Pass. I'll give that a miss.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

Goodness, why would MIN do that?

If, and only if, Thibs loves Bender, who fits very well with the Suns at the #4 spot. If Bender kills his Minny workout, he could be the ideal PF in a Wiggins/Bender/Towns front court. That's a group with serious size, athleticism, and shooting ability, not to mention a group of three guys that can switch everything, which will be extremely valuable in the years to come when perennially dealing with Golden State's small-ball lineup. The only counter to that is a switch-everything-capable lineup with 1 or 2 true big men. When that works, the Warriors can be beaten, as evidenced by the Timberberwolves' win at Oracle Arena, in which Towns was instrumental on offense, abusing Green's lack of height, and defense, when he switched onto and capably defended Curry.

Dieng is not the answer in Minnesota. They need to slot Towns at C, where his rim protection can play a bigger factor, and they need a PF with three-point range to give Wiggins his right-black post-ups, give Towns his elbow-level space (a la Chris Webber in the Adelman Kings' offense) and on the block, and mitigate Rubio and Wiggins's relatively weak shooting.

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I love this idea.  I think one team that could be interested in making a move like this is Denver.  The guys likely to be available at 7 overlap with their current core, and they have so many young guys already that they may be willing to pay a premium to make sure they can add a guy who's a good fit.  I'd happily do something like 3, 16, 35, and 45 for 7 and their unprotected pick next year.

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
How about 3 and 16 for 4 13 and a second rounder with Phoenix. Then turn around and trade 13 and 23 to move into top 10.