Author Topic: Would New Orleans trade Davis for a package centered on the number 1 pick?  (Read 3515 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I just posted this as a joke in another thread, but it had me thinking. If we got the first pick and New Orleans got the second or third pick, could we convince them to go into a complete rebuild with two of the top-three picks in the draft?

Would something like this work:

Boston: Davis, Asik

New Orleans: Amir, Smart, Sully S & T (Bogans style to match money), Brooklyn 2016 1st, Dallas 2016 1st, Celtics 2016 1stBrooklyn 2018 1st

Would they make that deal? Would we make that deal? Would we still have enough in this scenario to sign someone like Durant this summer?

EDIT: We'd have around $25M in cap space after denouncing our free agents and trading away all of our picks, so we'd have to make a couple of small moves in order to sign Durant to a max contract. So would you do if it meant Durant comes here, too?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 01:59:43 PM by jpotter33 »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I can't in a million years imagine that they would, no.

They've got a 23 year old top 10 player, at the weakest position in the league, with MVP talent, under contract for 5 more seasons (!!!).

There is absolutely no reason they should consider trading him unless he's got an undisclosed injury that calls his career longevity into question.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922

They've got a 23 year old top 10 player, at the weakest position in the league, with MVP talent, under contract for 5 more seasons (!!!).

There is absolutely no reason they should consider trading him unless he's got an undisclosed injury that calls his career longevity into question.

Yeah, I would imagine it would take an ungodly large offer to ultimately get them to trade Davis. One of those offers that it would do more harm to us than good by trading for Davis.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, I would imagine it would take an ungodly large offer to ultimately get them to trade Davis. One of those offers that it would do more harm to us than good by trading for Davis.

I'm not sure there is a trade, realistic or otherwise, that would make sense for New Orleans.

They have the perfect build-around asset.  They just need to figure out how to get out of their own dang way.

Now, if you wanted to trade for virtually anybody else on that roster, I'd say it's your lucky day.  But I've got zero interest.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Not a chance.

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
(And just for elaboration purposes)

Not a chance because, beyond already having established *young* talent in Davis, the Pelicans absolutely cannot afford to give up the already-meager share of attention they receive in a city that overwhelmingly supports the Saints over their NBA team. They just can't. There's no guarantee that whomever goes first will turn out to be as good as Davis already is.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would say that Curry, Paul George, Davis, KAT, Drummond, Porzingis and Kawhi are the only players you can't outright trade Ben Simmons for.  Klay Thompson, Wiggins, Jokic and Greek Freak are all probably off limits too, just because their teams have plans for them.   

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Only if he tells them he's not resigning no matter what and goes into detail why

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Not a chance unless you think the best player in his draft has a very good chance of being better than Davis.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Davis would have to demand a trade and pretty much say Boston is the only place he wants to go.  Then Boston would have to sweeten the offer a great deal and can't include sign and trade players, because New Orleans would want to make all of the draft picks themselves.

The best I could come up with is this

Davis, Asik, Ajinca

for

Amir, Smart, Olynyk, Rozier, 2016 BKN, DAL, BOS, 2017 BOS, 2018 BKN

Again assuming Davis demands a trade to Boston, that is probably a reasonable enough return for them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No.

Davis better than Simmons or Ingram

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Can I expand the question, would Philly trade Noel for 3-6?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I just posted this as a joke in another thread, but it had me thinking. If we got the first pick and New Orleans got the second or third pick, could we convince them to go into a complete rebuild with two of the top-three picks in the draft?

Would something like this work:

Boston: Davis, Asik

New Orleans: Amir, Smart, Sully S & T (Bogans style to match money), Brooklyn 2016 1st, Dallas 2016 1st, Celtics 2016 1stBrooklyn 2018 1st

Would they make that deal? Would we make that deal? Would we still have enough in this scenario to sign someone like Durant this summer?

EDIT: We'd have around $25M in cap space after denouncing our free agents and trading away all of our picks, so we'd have to make a couple of small moves in order to sign Durant to a max contract. So would you do if it meant Durant comes here, too?

No way no how...

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Can I expand the question, would Philly trade Noel for 3-6?

Yes. But I don't want the "messy" guy

Seriously disappointed by his off court conduct. And leaving the house like that was disrespectful and digusting

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Nope.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008