Poll

Trade Melo for the fourth pick or worse.

Yes. Have to do it.
17 (35.4%)
No, Stay the course and develop.
31 (64.6%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Poll: Trade the 4th Pick or worse for Carmelo  (Read 3131 times)

Re: Poll: Trade the 4th Pick or worse for Carmelo
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 10:18:01 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Melo as the 2007 Ray Allen in order to attract a 2016 superstar like Ray did KG.

I don't see it. The situations aren't the same.

In 2007 the Cs already had a superstar in Paul Pierce. Ainge had assets in guys like Big Al but the team didn't fit well together, especially considering the respective ages of the players. By the time guys like Big Al would be ready to compete for a championship, Ainge knew Pierce would be too old to be "the man" on that championship team. Ainge also knew that KG wanted to win and so did Pierce. So he rolled the dice with all of these pieces already identified figuring he could pull them all together. This wasn't a trade to attract any superstar. This was a trade to create an attractive situation for KG with a very defined and fairly narrow time window to win the title.

This team is in a very different situation. There is no true superstar on the Cs and the team fits well together in age and mentality. There's no rush on the time window because the window isn't even open yet. Using good assets to acquire Carmelo puts a very narrow time window to win the title again since he's easily on the downhill side of his career. Acquiring Melo puts handcuffs on Ainge and the overall direction of the team.

Now if Ainge knows of a specific situation that would require the acquisition of Carmelo to get another superstar to come to Boston, that's something he'd have to consider. But I don't see it. The guys who are talked about most often - KG, Love, Cousins, Butler - are all 27 or under. Their time frame to be top players on a championship team are 5 years or more whereas Melo's skills are already in decline. It's all about timing the championship run and Carmelo, as good of a player he is, doesn't fit the timing for this team.

Thus I voted "no". By the time this team will be ready for a 3-5 year championship window Melo will be too old to be a top contributor. It would be a waste of the draft pick.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Meh .....guy is happy being with his wife in NYC .   

He is not interested in basketball fame any more.

it's his job ,  keeping his family happy.

They are happy in NYC.

Fame? I think he still is. Basketball? I don't think he ever was interested in that. Still, I'd take him!

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm taking Poetl and making a run at a wing in free agency
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 11:49:19 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
He is a career 34% from 3 guy.

Maybe with our pick and a late second rounder. Could be handy on the deep bench.

I'm sure Melo would be thrilled to be traded to the C's so he could be "handy on the deep bench"