Poll

Trade Melo for the fourth pick or worse.

Yes. Have to do it.
17 (35.4%)
No, Stay the course and develop.
31 (64.6%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Poll: Trade the 4th Pick or worse for Carmelo  (Read 3129 times)

Poll: Trade the 4th Pick or worse for Carmelo
« on: May 13, 2016, 04:49:58 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm not a big Melo fan. He is a great scorer that we could really use, Jae and Carmelo could play together.

If you vote no, tell me who you would draft at 4 or 5.

Re: Poll: Trade the 4th Pick or worse for Carmelo
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 04:56:07 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
At 4, assuming it goes simmons, ingram, bender, I would take Murray. Melo just doesn't move the needle much for me.
#JKJB

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

But what if Murray isn't that good, Murray's defense is terrible, and he's not very athletic either.

The offense and team would be much better with Nwlo. Think about it.

Amir
 Carmelo
 Crowder
 Bradley
 Thomas

With Smart filling in the blanks and doing the dirty work, and Kelly draining three's.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 05:03:31 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
First off, the 4th pick would not get this done.   Trading for Melo would be a much bigger, more complex trade.  Not only does he arguably have much greater trade value than the 4th pick in this draft, but his contract would require salary matching.

So it's not as trivial as saying, "yay" or "nay" to a straight swap.   There would be a lot of other pieces to consider.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 05:03:43 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

But what if Murray isn't that good, Murray's defense is terrible, and he's not very athletic either.

The offense and team would be much better with Nwlo. Think about it.

Amir
 Carmelo
 Crowder
 Bradley
 Thomas

With Smart filling in the blanks and doing the dirty work, and Kelly draining three's.

You'll get good melo for maybe 2 more seasons. Then he will slip off. I love Murray and I would take my chances with him. I wouldn't trade our pick for melo unless it's like 6 and we had to take ellenson
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Melo has knee issues, will be 32, and has never really been one to work on his body save for one summer he got too skinny.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Well, yes, but it'd have to come on three conditions:

1) I couldn't trade for Boogie, Butler, Gasol, Love or any other similar star;

2) Robin Lopez came along with Melo;

3) Durant would commit to play with Melo.

If those three conditions were met, then, yes, I'd trade a non-top-2 pick for Melo and Lopez. There comes a point when you're too picky, and I think not getting Melo just because he's not the perfect two-way player fit for us is a mistake. He's got twice as much talent as anyone not named Isaiah on our team, and he still dwarfs Isaiah in talent, size, and experience. Plus, he'd be the perfect stretch 4 to put next to Durant, who doesn't want to be a stretch 4. I'd offer this deal to New York:

NY: Crowder and Rozier (good, cost-controlled prospects), AJ and JJ (Nonguaranteed Salary Match), Young (Reclamation Project), Sully S&T (Bogans-type salary match and free look at him as a prospect alongside Porzingis), 2016 Brooklyn Pick, 2016 Dallas Pick, 2019 Memphis Pick

Boston: Melo, Lopez

If they accept that trade, which I think is pretty fair all around, that'd leave us with a little under $60M in salary, meaning we'd have approximately $32M to sign Durant, resign Turner, and whatever else Danny can work with his magic. We'd also probably have several vet-minimum type older players come to us, just like West did last year. So that'd leave our roster looking like this:

PG: Smart, IT
SG: Bradley, Hunter (Maybe Martin/Foye/Johnson-type as a veteran minimum type off the bench?)
SF: Durant, Turner
PF: Melo, Mickey (Maybe West/Stoudemire/Nene-type off the bench?)
C: Lopez, KO

That's a pretty good looking team right there that is ready to compete right away. Also, we've got two top-ten scoring options at the 3/4 and another top-fifteen scorer coming off the bench.

So people saying that they wouldn't sign Melo - if signing Melo meant this team right here, would you still not trade that pick for him? We'd still have two more Brooklyn picks as trade bait or young talent to keep us replenished.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 06:18:46 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Melo as the 2007 Ray Allen in order to attract a 2016 superstar like Ray did KG.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:21:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Good point Who.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 06:36:21 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Well, yes, but it'd have to come on three conditions:

1) I couldn't trade for Boogie, Butler, Gasol, Love or any other similar star;

2) Robin Lopez came along with Melo;

3) Durant would commit to play with Melo.

If those three conditions were met, then, yes, I'd trade a non-top-2 pick for Melo and Lopez. There comes a point when you're too picky, and I think not getting Melo just because he's not the perfect two-way player fit for us is a mistake. He's got twice as much talent as anyone not named Isaiah on our team, and he still dwarfs Isaiah in talent, size, and experience. Plus, he'd be the perfect stretch 4 to put next to Durant, who doesn't want to be a stretch 4. I'd offer this deal to New York:

NY: Crowder and Rozier (good, cost-controlled prospects), AJ and JJ (Nonguaranteed Salary Match), Young (Reclamation Project), Sully S&T (Bogans-type salary match and free look at him as a prospect alongside Porzingis), 2016 Brooklyn Pick, 2016 Dallas Pick, 2019 Memphis Pick

Boston: Melo, Lopez

If they accept that trade, which I think is pretty fair all around, that'd leave us with a little under $60M in salary, meaning we'd have approximately $32M to sign Durant, resign Turner, and whatever else Danny can work with his magic. We'd also probably have several vet-minimum type older players come to us, just like West did last year. So that'd leave our roster looking like this:

PG: Smart, IT
SG: Bradley, Hunter (Maybe Martin/Foye/Johnson-type as a veteran minimum type off the bench?)
SF: Durant, Turner
PF: Melo, Mickey (Maybe West/Stoudemire/Nene-type off the bench?)
C: Lopez, KO

That's a pretty good looking team right there that is ready to compete right away. Also, we've got two top-ten scoring options at the 3/4 and another top-fifteen scorer coming off the bench.

So people saying that they wouldn't sign Melo - if signing Melo meant this team right here, would you still not trade that pick for him? We'd still have two more Brooklyn picks as trade bait or young talent to keep us replenished.

Or hell, if you take Lopez out of the deal, meaning Amir could come out of the deal, too, that'd even give you 12 million more to work with for a total of $44M.

Now I don't think that's quite enough to give max deals to both Durant and Horford, who are at $26M a piece, but maybe you could try to convince them to take a little less each in order to play together. Even $22M a year is a $10M per year increase for Horford, and Durant even recently said that "money isn't everything" when talking about how he admired West for taking the paycut to play in San Antonio.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 11:48:09 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Well, if it's the 4th pick only, you have to do it. No matter what you think of Melo and his fit with the team. If it's' the 4th pick + Crowder + other picks... whole different story.

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 12:40:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Meh .....guy is happy being with his wife in NYC .   

He is not interested in basketball fame any more.

it's his job ,  keeping his family happy.

They are happy in NYC.

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 03:39:26 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
If we were confident that we could add another piece without the Brooklyn pick I would do it. Melo at the 4 would be great for us.

He won't move from new York though, doesn't he have a no trade clause?

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 05:27:02 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
I suspect that Melo would waive his no-trade clause to join LeBron (One, it gives him an opportunity to win a championship while enjoying the limelight in a similar fashion to Wade when LeBron was in Miami; two, it gives him a 15% trade kicker, which is further enhanced by a lower tax base in Cleveland compared to New York City). I doubt he would waive it for us (one, we are not perceived by most people as being nearly as close to contending to Cleveland and, two, the kicker would not be as valuable in Boston as in Cleveland).

If you want us to move our lottery pick in a deal involving Melo, in all likelihood it would need to be a three-team trade with Cleveland where Melo joins the Cavs, New York gets the lottery pick, and we get someone and/or something from Cleveland.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 05:42:44 AM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 06:49:50 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
He is a career 34% from 3 guy.

Maybe with our pick and a late second rounder. Could be handy on the deep bench.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.