Author Topic: Idea: GO BIG With An All-Star Front Court in 2016  (Read 2024 times)

Idea: GO BIG With An All-Star Front Court in 2016
« on: May 13, 2016, 01:50:14 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
How would you feel about this offseason:

- Lottery pick to New York, Carmelo Anthony to Cleveland, Kevin Love to Boston

- Trade most of our remaining 2016 picks to move up in the lottery for Jakob Pöltl at 9, 10 or 11 (probably whatever pick is right ahead of the Jazz). Use our remaining second rounders on draft-and-stash players.

- Sign Dwight Howard

- Resign Evan Turner

Key Additions: Love, Howard, Pöltl

Key Subtractions: Johnson (Salary Cap), Sullinger, Zeller
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:35:11 PM by meangreenmachine »

Re: Idea: GO BIG With An All-Star Front Court in 2016
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 01:55:12 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Honestly I don't see love getting traded
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:01:46 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
I do after the Cavs fall short against the Warriors again. I will not even be surprised if LeBron also tries to move Irving in exchange for Chris Paul.

I think this scenario is our likeliest path towards getting a big three without losing our current crop.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:16:11 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Not interested on trading for love. At least not with the BKN pick.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 07:13:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

- Trade most of our remaining 2016 picks to move up in the lottery for Jakob Pöltl at 9, 10 or 11 (probably whatever pick is right ahead of the Jazz). Use our remaining second rounders on draft-and-stash players.
- Sign Dwight Howard
- Resign Evan Turner

I think you would be fire as a GM in a few years and you would not get past CLE.  Love does not play D.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 04:40:26 AM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford

- Sign Dwight Howard
- Resign Evan Turner

I think you would be fire as a GM in a few years and you would not get past CLE.  Love does not play D.

Just as Thomas' defensive deficiencies are partially masked by our ability to put Bradley or Smart on our opponent's best guard, the same will hold true in our front court by pairing Love with Dwight Howard, one of the top 3-5 defensive big men in the league. Howard is able to neutralize any team's best offensive big man, so our only concern of seeing Love dominated would be when an opponent has two great offensive big men. How many teams have two truly dominant offensive big men? The answer: Us if we obtain Love and Howard, and the LA Clippers if Griffin returns to his former self (fortunately, in all likelihood we would only have to face the Clips twice next year).

Like Thomas, Love is still an all-star by virtue of his offensive play. In fact, Love tosses gorgeous outlet passes and is the best stretch 4 in the league when he is at his best, which I think can happen more consistently under the tutelage of Coach Brad Stevens compared to Coach LeBron James.

Last but not least, Howard and Love are the number one and two active NBA players in career rebounds per game, so we will be absolute "Chairmen of the Boards" as both players would be the most prolific rebounders in Celtics history since Dave Cowens and Bill Russell before him. I salivate thinking of all the second-shot opportunities and missed opportunities that are fixed with putbacks/alley-oops, not to mention all of the defensive stops (almost more than anything, I hate consistently giving up offensive rebounds, particularly when we are not giving up good looks by virtue of a stellar perimeter defense).

Dominant rebounding combined with excellent shooting in the paint can more than compensate for our below average shooting percentages outside of the paint if those woes continue, which I think will not be the case given another year of improvement for our current corp combined with Love's shooting outside of the paint (unfortunately, adding Jimmy Butler while subtracting Avery Bradley, our lottery pick and someone else would not have the same effect).

I really cannot see any other trade scenario where we are able to trade our lottery pick straight-up for an all-star, but if someone else sees a scenario where we can add two all-stars to our roster this off-season without losing anything other than our lottery pick, I am all ears. I am particularly enamored with the idea of going against the grain by having an all-star front court rather than trying to compete offensively with the likes of the Warriors' impeccable back court (for example, Butler and Thomas <<< Curry and Thompson and it is not even close).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:27:30 AM by meangreenmachine »

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
So is the third overall pick high enough to convince the Knicks to play ball in this trade? I suppose we still need to see the Cavs fall to the Warriors (or Thunder) before we can resume dreaming about this trade...

Hopefully we can trade above the Jazz at 12 and nab Pöltl at 9, 10 or 11...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:29:45 PM by meangreenmachine »