Author Topic: Seth Curry as a cheap shooter of the bench?  (Read 3287 times)

Seth Curry as a cheap shooter of the bench?
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
I think the development of Seth in the second half of the season went a bit under the radar. He got himself more and more playing time and ended up starting. In Rondo's absence he even took over as point guard and produced a 21 and 15 game (points and assists).

He shot 45% from three for the season, and that's an impressive number. I just read that Seth has declined his 1 million dollar player option, so he is a free agent. Our shooting has been atrocious, so I think Seth could be a very nice pick up, for a small amount of money.

I know we have quite a lot of options in the back court right now, and something probably has to happen first before you add another not very tall guard. But none of our guards has ever shot around 45% from three point range. I think none of them actually ever had a 40% season from long range.

I would not mind Seth on our roster. The kid is so eager to prove that the oldest Curry isn't the only one who can shoot. 

Re: Seth Curry as a cheap shooter of the bench?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 08:29:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He's a restricted free agent.  If Sacramento has any intelligence at all they will match his contract.  But I do like him.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 08:30:33 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I wouldn't mind seeing him on our roster either.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 08:39:23 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
He'd certainly be an upgrade to Hunter or Young. 

When you think about adding a player, you have to think about whose roster spot he takes, because roster spots are hard to come by with this team and the coming draft.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 09:41:45 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
He's a restricted free agent.  If Sacramento has any intelligence at all they will match his contract. 

I'm not sure how that stuff works. He had a two year deal, the second year being a players option. He has decided to decline the option so that makes him a free agent, right?

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I believe he is an unrestricted free agent, but I don't really see the point in taking up a roster spot and removing other players for him. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Someone should definitely take a flyer on him, but probably not us. It's possible he'll dramatically exceed expectations given a real chance, but he will not get that chance on our team.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 11:18:18 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He's a restricted free agent.  If Sacramento has any intelligence at all they will match his contract. 

I'm not sure how that stuff works. He had a two year deal, the second year being a players option. He has decided to decline the option so that makes him a free agent, right?

He has three or few years of experience, and is not coming off the third year of a rookie contract signed by a first-round pick, so he's restricted.  The option is largely irrelevant -- if he'd picked up the option he could have been unrestricted next summer.  But he's making the minimum, and the worst that happens is he takes the qualifying offer from SAC, which is more than the minimum he'd have made, and enters fee agency unrestricted next season.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 05:23:39 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet

He has three or few years of experience, and is not coming off the third year of a rookie contract signed by a first-round pick, so he's restricted.  The option is largely irrelevant -- if he'd picked up the option he could have been unrestricted next summer.  But he's making the minimum, and the worst that happens is he takes the qualifying offer from SAC, which is more than the minimum he'd have made, and enters fee agency unrestricted next season.

Thank for explaining. TP.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:17:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A laughable move at best. 

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 07:25:44 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
A laughable move at best.

Could you explain yourself?

It's a little hard for me to understand what's laughable about adding a cheap 45% three point shooter to a roster that's screaming for three point shooters.

Please note that I'm not suggesting to make a trade for him or something. When I posted the suggestion I thought Curry was a UFA.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Seth Curry interests me none. He's going to be 26 and his best year as a pro was when he averaged 15 mpg on a terrible Sacramento team last year.

I would much, much rather give whatever minutes he'd get to Rozier or an incoming rookie shooter.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 08:03:51 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
Seth Curry interests me none. He's going to be 26 and his best year as a pro was when he averaged 15 mpg on a terrible Sacramento team last year.

I would much, much rather give whatever minutes he'd get to Rozier or an incoming rookie shooter.

It's like people don't read around here. As long as there is a logjam in our backcourt, and as long as we have some talented guards there is no room for Curry. But if some trading is going to happen, you could see teams wanting a talent like Rozier as a sweetener.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 09:52:16 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
So you want us to sign a shooter because the team doesn't have enough shooting but you only want to sign him after we've traded guy who can't shoot, presumably for players that can shoot?

I still don't see how signing a 26 year old that's never had a regular roll on an even mediocre team is better than drafting someone with a similar skill set, with more room to develop, on a better contract.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 10:05:36 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm thinking we nag them for a S&T for one of our grizzled vets. Maybe Jerebko. that is if he is an RFA. if not give him 15 million for 3 years, with a team option
Banner 18 please 😍