Author Topic: With Joerger in at Sacramento, Is Kosta Koufos available?  (Read 3008 times)

With Joerger in at Sacramento, Is Kosta Koufos available?
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:38:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Reportedly, Dave Joerger wanted to run more up-tempo smallball in Memphis and his team's stars weren't too interested.  If the Sacramento roster ends up being reworked towards a smallball vision, maybe they don't need three centers.  Perhaps they keep Wiley Cauley-Stein and look to cash in Kosta Koufos for draft assets, given that the team has made some unwise trades of first round picks that leave the cupboard a bit bare.  I don't think it is reasonable to suggest they keep Koufos and trade WCS.

A non-Nets first plus some end-of-the-bench youngster like RJ Hunter or James Young who has a chance of being waived in preaseason seems like a fair offer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: With Joerger in at Sacramento, Is Kosta Koufos available?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:44:29 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Kosta can be a solid starter to be sure. Solid defender/rebounder and the half hook was working towards the end of the season. Don't the C's need more offense though? If they get Butler/Love might work

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 11:45:04 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
I would put a small stretch four next to Cousins. That would help on some of the switches since Cousins is not the quickest side to side player. Putting two of those guys out there at once would be brutal although WCS has decent quickness. He's just sort of clueless still so it still doesn't really work putting him out there with cousins.

The small stretch four probably works better on offense also since it's another three point shooter to kick out to.

The Kings would be smart to scrap WCS and trade him unless he plays backup minutes.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:52:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Kosta can be a solid starter to be sure. Solid defender/rebounder and the half hook was working towards the end of the season. Don't the C's need more offense though? If they get Butler/Love might work

I don't think he necessarily has to start.  Being able to have one of Amir Johnson or Kosta Koufos protecting the paint at all times, if Stevens so chooses, would shore up the interior defense.  Then, you would be looking at some shooting from the other big man spot, whether it be Jerebko, Olynyk, or maybe a rookie.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 11:59:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I want WCS so much.  I have no ability to comprehend a reasonable offer for him, because I just want him.  He's everything we want in our center defensively.  And while he's limited offensively, he seems made for the pick-and-roll. I don't know why Sacramento would trade him other than Sacramento doesn't know what they're doing. I just want him, and I hope Joerger doesn't.

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 12:02:59 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I want WCS so much.  I have no ability to comprehend a reasonable offer for him, because I just want him.  He's everything we want in our center defensively.  And while he's limited offensively, he seems made for the pick-and-roll. I don't know why Sacramento would trade him other than Sacramento doesn't know what they're doing. I just want him, and I hope Joerger doesn't.

From everything I've seen from Kings reporters, my understanding is that WCS is absolutely untouchable.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 12:06:13 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I think I prefer the similar, younger Noel to WCS, and I think Noel is more available than WCS, though it'd probably cost the Brooklyn pick (at least if it fell beyond the top-3).

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 12:06:29 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford

From everything I've seen from Kings reporters, my understanding is that WCS is absolutely untouchable.
I don't get it. He doesn't really fit with Cousins. The only thing I can think of is he's insurance in case they want to trade Cousins and blow it up. He would be one more starting block with whatever they got back from cousins.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 12:08:12 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford

I think I prefer the similar, younger Noel to WCS, and I think Noel is more available than WCS, though it'd probably cost the Brooklyn pick (at least if it fell beyond the top-3).
I would trade the fifth pick for Noel but would the sixers make this trade? They might be better off trading Noel for a player who has proven himself already.

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 12:16:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I would trade the fifth pick for Noel but would the sixers make this trade? They might be better off trading Noel for a player who has proven himself already.

They could get a nice guard prospect in Murray, Hield, or Dunn with that pick.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 12:17:31 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The advantage of WCS in my mind is that he's got three more years in his rookie deal, whereas Noel will start getting paid real money next year.

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 12:42:00 AM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

I don't get it. He doesn't really fit with Cousins. The only thing I can think of is he's insurance in case they want to trade Cousins and blow it up. He would be one more starting block with whatever they got back from cousins.

Why doesn't he fit with Cousins? He's active and rangy enough to guard perimeter-oriented PFs, allowing Cousins to stay close to the rim on D.

On offense, Cousins has extended his range to three: he can be the stretchy big, with WCS staying in the paint.

To return to the OP, I think Koufos would be a sneaky good target for Ainge.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2016, 12:42:40 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford

They could get a nice guard prospect in Murray, Hield, or Dunn with that pick.
And maybe the Sixers drafting so many bigs will be forced to make a trade like this but it's got to tough to trade a solid player for a draft pick that may or may not work out.

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2016, 12:46:56 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford

Why doesn't he fit with Cousins? He's active and rangy enough to guard perimeter-oriented PFs, allowing Cousins to stay close to the rim on D.

On offense, Cousins has extended his range to three: he can be the stretchy big, with WCS staying in the paint.

I don't think it's good strategy to have Cousins jacking up threes and I think you want better spacing on the perimeter if Cousins is on the block. Where are you putting WCS in that situation?

WCS is clueless on D so you got one slow footed big that you have to worry about on switches and another big who looks lost on D.

I just don't see them being a good combo.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 12:49:02 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

I don't think it's good strategy to have Cousins jacking up threes and I think you want better spacing on the perimeter if Cousins is on the block. Where are you putting WCS in that situation?

WCS is clueless on D so you got one slow footed big that you have to worry about on switches and another big who looks lost on D.

I just don't see them being a good combo.

I don't believe that's an accurate description of Willy Trill
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about