Author Topic: Plan C - Sign some vets to Amir Johnson-type contracts  (Read 2459 times)

Re: Plan C - Sign some vets to Amir Johnson-type contracts
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 08:12:13 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This team has too many draft picks to sign journeymen who don't move the needle. Draft and develop players. A good coach is supposed to develop players let's see where BS stands in developing players year 3.

I like how he seems to be bringing along players slowly and making their playing time dependent on defense.  Ainge should give Stevens the personnel so that a high draft pick doesn't get guaranteed playing time, but has to work for it.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 08:15:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Eric Gordon could be an interesting short term replacement if the team doesn't draft a guy like Murray or Hield.

Matt Barnes is a free agent, I think.

Zach Randolph would be an upgrade on Sully and he has just a year left on his deal.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 08:25:34 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Plan C can be boiled down to two simple words:

Retain Flexibility

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 08:26:16 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This team has too many draft picks to sign journeymen who don't move the needle. Draft and develop players. A good coach is supposed to develop players let's see where BS stands in developing players year 3.

I like how he seems to be bringing along players slowly and making their playing time dependent on defense.  Ainge should give Stevens the personnel so that a high draft pick doesn't get guaranteed playing time, but has to work for it.
I think he has that as current starters won't be unseated by any rookies. IT, AB, Crowder, AJ and KO  being current ones. But in practice things become difficult if you have too many guys. I say this because  you want your A and B teams to play a lot against each other and last 4 guys sub or do specific role play. If you have Bass or Zeller types taking up PT and higher practice roles rookies will get stuck in DLeague against poor competition and different coaches. It's better to have 9 big rotation players and then developing players with 4 spots. Team has too many draft picks and young players in need of developing. DA is going to overpay in trades just to dump picks or guys.

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 08:28:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Eric Gordon could be an interesting short term replacement if the team doesn't draft a guy like Murray or Hield.

Do you think Gordon would accept the bench role that he should have if he is on a roster that has Bradley and Thomas?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 08:31:34 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
DA is going to overpay in trades just to dump picks or guys.

I don't think he's going to overpay.  I think he'd rather run Hunter, Young, Mickey, and any second rounders who aren't draft and stash out there and tell them that preseason is a competition and he's willing to cut any of them to get down to 15.

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2016, 08:57:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
DA is going to overpay in trades just to dump picks or guys.

I don't think he's going to overpay.  I think he'd rather run Hunter, Young, Mickey, and any second rounders who aren't draft and stash out there and tell them that preseason is a competition and he's willing to cut any of them to get down to 15.
Better draft a lot of euro stash players

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Do you think Gordon would accept the bench role that he should have if he is on a roster that has Bradley and Thomas?

Maybe if it's sold to him as a way to play like a top scoring option for short stretches and avoid injuries by limiting his minutes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain