Author Topic: Plan C - Sign some vets to Amir Johnson-type contracts  (Read 2462 times)

Plan C - Sign some vets to Amir Johnson-type contracts
« on: May 08, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If Plan A is signing a major free agent and Plan B is trading for a star, what should Plan C be?  There are a bunch of draft picks to use but they may get consolidated via trade so that there are roster spots that might be open.

With 2017 shaping up to be a good free agent crop, one idea is to sign a veteran free agent to a contract similar to that of Amir Johnson, unguaranteed beyond the first year with more money to compensate the player for giving the team more payroll flexibility.

One obvious target is Zaza Pachulia.  He's too old to hope for a long-term deal.  He is a willing passer, capable rebounder, and solid defender who is good against the pick and roll and protects the paint, even if he is not a shot blocker.  It's no surprise that Milwaukee looked worse after losing him.  In the absence of acquiring a star, I would be pleased with signing Pachulia to such a deal.

Who else is a potential target for this sort of contract?  I'd say it's the sort of deal you might offer the Celtics' own free agents such as Evan Turner if no clear upgrade exists.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Plan C - Sign some vets to Amir Johnson-type contracts
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Oh, that's definitely the backup plan if all else fails. I think Plan A is actually mixing a trade for a star and signing for free agents, but if neither or only one of those work out, then I definitely see us doing more Amir and JJ-type deals.

I was actually thinking of Zaza with this in my mind a couple of days ago. He'd be a perfect candidate for that. TP.

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 04:56:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Zaza looked really bad as the year went on. Two guys that come to mind, both Washington guys, are Nene and Dudley.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
This is my worst fear? How does it help us eventually contending? I'm not being snarky. You may have a very valid reason this kind of move accomplishes that.

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 05:05:55 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I consign the Dudley idea above.

Can we also being back Jordan Crawford? Steez was pretty good for us (Eastern conference Player of the week!) and might be a spark plug off the bench for us (which we need)
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I don't know if he'd sign a deal like this, but I'd love to go after Ian Mahinmi rather than Pachulia.
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 05:14:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The problem is the team already has too many Amir Johnson-caliber players. They need to consolodate some of these youngsters and decent veterans into one, more talented player.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 05:28:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I don't know if he'd sign a deal like this, but I'd love to go after Ian Mahinmi rather than Pachulia.

Mahinmi will get paid this summer. He's young enough where I don't think it will make sense for him, unless maybe it's something like 20 million and he could nab a long-term deal next summer when the cap is even bigger.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 05:51:53 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
This is my worst fear? How does it help us eventually contending? I'm not being snarky. You may have a very valid reason this kind of move accomplishes that.

Rolling over cap space so that the team can make a run at a 2017 free agent (maybe even Durant, if he signs the one year deal with a player option that some speculate he could want).  There's just too much talent on the team to dump the veterans like Thomas, Bradley, and Crowder and go with a youth movement.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 05:59:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Zaza looked really bad as the year went on. Two guys that come to mind, both Washington guys, are Nene and Dudley.

Nene was someone I thought of.  Dudley wants a longer deal and I think there are teams that are lining up to pay him.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 07:52:51 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Draft the best players and save the cap space for the following year.

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 08:00:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Pau could be worth a look on a two year deal.

Zaza is an okay idea though he doesn't help with the lack of interior finishing.

Teletovic and Dudley are two guys I like who might be had on shorter deals if the money is right.

Maybe Biyombo would sign a shorter deal for around ten million annually.  Not sure that's worth it.

Another option could be to look at a trade.  Tyson Chandler has three years left, which is not ideal, but it looks like he can still give you twenty very good minutes a night.

Maybe Chicago would consider trading Gibson, depending on how they try to replace Pau.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 08:06:50 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This team has too many draft picks to sign journeymen who don't move the needle. Draft and develop players. A good coach is supposed to develop players let's see where BS stands in developing players year 3.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 08:08:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This team has too many draft picks to sign journeymen who don't move the needle. Draft and develop players. A good coach is supposed to develop players let's see where BS stands in developing players year 3.

If the team strikes out on adding an Allstar or two this summer and just goes full on youth movement, I could get behind that, but it would likely mean missing the playoffs next year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 08:10:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Pau could be worth a look on a two year deal.

Zaza is an okay idea though he doesn't help with the lack of interior finishing.

Teletovic and Dudley are two guys I like who might be had on shorter deals.

Maybe Biyombo would sign a shorter deal for around ten million annually.  Not sure that's worth it.
Dudley wants a three-year deal.  With smallball all the rage, Teletovic and Dudley are probably going to get paid. 

The targets should either be guys who were in the spot where Teletovic was a year ago and will accept a short contract to prove themselves so they can cash in later, guys who have injury concerns so there is no market for giving them a long-term deal, or guys who are too old for a team to be happy to hand out a long deal.  In all cases, they should be players who are compatible with the team's defensive strategy without relying on Stevens being a miracle worker.