Author Topic: Would you trade IT and Brk pick for Lillard?  (Read 9490 times)

Re: Would you trade IT and Brk pick for Lillard?
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 11:34:05 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Yes.
DKC Suns

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 11:36:23 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
No. Why?

1. Lillard won't come cheap
2. IT is in a bargain contract and isn't much inferior to Dame statistically
3. It won't move the needle much and roster could probably get even worse.

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 11:39:39 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
No. Why?

1. Lillard won't come cheap
2. IT is in a bargain contract and isn't much inferior to Dame statistically
3. It won't move the needle much and roster could probably get even worse.
And 4. That pick could (slim chance, but possible) become better than either one of them
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 11:57:03 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
So Lillard makes $24M/yr for the next 5 years. IT makes $6.5M for the next 2 years. I'd argue that their value probably cancels out in the contract realm. Obviously IT is the bargain deal on similar statistics and efficiencies but Lillard is a top PG on contract for 5 years. That does have value in the NBA, especially when Lillard is a year younger.

I'd say yes to IT and BKN 2016 if the pick is 3 or lower. Having a great PG locked up for 5 years is valuable and I see Lillard's ceiling as higher than IT's. I am also not in love with anyone outside of the top-2 that we couldn't snag with the DAL pick or our own.

For what it's worth I think Portland doesn't even take this call. Lillard is their core and he and McCollum have chemistry. I think if we included the top-2 pick it probably gets a discussion but I'm still not sure.

Of course this is discounting how our fanbase has rallied around IT and his allstar season. He's loved in Boston and that counts for something. Danny might not be a sentimental guy but I think he has a value on the "organizational loyalty" game that gets played in FA and on the trade market.

All in all a pretty hard thing to imagine happening.

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 12:31:17 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
For what it's worth I think Portland doesn't even take this call. Lillard is their core and he and McCollum have chemistry. I think if we included the top-2 pick it probably gets a discussion but I'm still not sure.

I think this can't be understated. I don't think Portland would trade Dame for all our picks and IT. Dame Lillard has embraced Portland, and Portland has embraced him. The fan-coupling has been consummated. Break it up now, and the fanbase will not take it kindly.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:32 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
The only way Portland even bites on this offer, is if we offered Smart, Brooklyn Pick, and IT, and maybe a few sweetners on top of it.

Face it.

Lillard can and could be a MVP type of talent franchise player. He has the tools and skills, but he needs the personnel or team set up for him to succeed.

Plus I would say Durant would be far more impressed with Dame than IT.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 05:45:28 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think the OP has found the rare trade proposal that neither team would say yes to.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 05:51:08 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
Wow, Dame's propensity for clutch shots and big plays has really upped his value around here huh?

Dame is a really good player, but he's not THAT much better than IT. Lillard is a terrible defender, IT is a mediocre defender with a height disadvantage. They're probably about equal playmakers, Thomas is better at driving/getting FT's while Dame is a better outside shooter (though IT is better off the ball IMO). They're both a step below the Steph Curry's and the Chris Paul's of the world.

Really good player, but so is IT. No way Lillard is worth IT AND a top 5 pick, especially with Thomas contract. Just no way

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 05:31:54 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
No

The gap between IT and Lillard is not as big as ppl think

IT's contract is a bargain

And the Brooklyn pick is worth quite a lot even if it ends up being 5/6th.

Agreed. Never underestimate the value of $13m in cap space.

« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 05:50:32 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yes.

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 02:27:52 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
nah, Lilliard is a great player, but he's still not in the elite PG category. He's slightly better than IT overall, but IT is still improving too-he's only started for one year.

He's apparently concentrating on his diet this offseason and said he's only ever eaten junk food- even this year lol.

Gap between IT and Lilliard is just not big enough to include trading the BRK pick at this point.

Lol, Lillard is without doubt an elite PG. he's also more than just "slightly" better than IT
He's capable of having enormous games but he's not consistent enough yet and i think he's only slightly better than IT in a vacuum.

No way. Lillard would never fit in a vacuum.

Mike

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
nah, Lilliard is a great player, but he's still not in the elite PG category. He's slightly better than IT overall, but IT is still improving too-he's only started for one year.

He's apparently concentrating on his diet this offseason and said he's only ever eaten junk food- even this year lol.

Gap between IT and Lilliard is just not big enough to include trading the BRK pick at this point.

Lol, Lillard is without doubt an elite PG. he's also more than just "slightly" better than IT
He's capable of having enormous games but he's not consistent enough yet and i think he's only slightly better than IT in a vacuum.

Mike
Putting him in one would level the playing field!

I would take Lillard over IT in a second just because of the additional height.

The reality is that "consistent" is rarely as meaningful a thing as people make it out to be when they want to diminish a player. People need to do a statistical analysis to prove that. Who is the mythical "consistent" PG that is the comparison for calling Lillard "inconsistent".

Lillard's per game stats month to month are pretty consistent. His shooting percentages have been pretty consistent season to season. Lillard had one single digit game last season, IT had two. I'm not sure what what the previous poster is basing that on.

Plus, Lillard is a year and a half younger than IT.

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Mike
Haha!  Not if IT is already in there.

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 05:29:04 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
If the pick is 4 or lower? Probably, mostly due to Danny's tendency to play it safe in the draft.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)