Author Topic: No Big Trades or Durant: Would This Offseason Scenario be the End of the World?  (Read 3471 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
if we don't improve the talent on this team this off-season it would be a crime considering this is what was supposed to happen.

if nothing happens trade-wise we should blow it up and embrace the youth. if we make a bunch of sideways moves, like if our 1st move in free agency is to run out and sign an Amir Johnson level player then danny should be fired. for a while now we've heard our draft picks referred to as assets and not draft picks, at some point you have to come through.

This is a weak free agent class with only Durant and Horford as unrestricted free agents worthy of the max.  If the Celtics don't sign either, they should consider maintaining payroll flexibility to have a shot at signing a major free agent in 2017.

I agree about maintaining flexibility if signing Durant doesn't happen but i'm against signing horford. yeah he's better than any pf we have but only marginally... he still looked pedestrian against the cavs.

and don't anyone mistake what I said about ainge. I only said he should be fired if he goes out and makes sideways moves. moves that on the surface look like we improve but are actually worse... like if we only sign Horford.

So, you're saying that there are only a handful of big men, free agent or not, who "move the needle" more than marginally?

I'll go ahead and say that the Celtics will be a better team over the next three seasons with Al Horford instead of Andre Drummond, if they could have a choice between the two.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'll take Drummond. Isn't he only 22 years old?

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if we don't improve the talent on this team this off-season it would be a crime considering this is what was supposed to happen.

if nothing happens trade-wise we should blow it up and embrace the youth. if we make a bunch of sideways moves, like if our 1st move in free agency is to run out and sign an Amir Johnson level player then danny should be fired. for a while now we've heard our draft picks referred to as assets and not draft picks, at some point you have to come through.

This is a weak free agent class with only Durant and Horford as unrestricted free agents worthy of the max.  If the Celtics don't sign either, they should consider maintaining payroll flexibility to have a shot at signing a major free agent in 2017.

I agree about maintaining flexibility if signing Durant doesn't happen but i'm against signing horford. yeah he's better than any pf we have but only marginally... he still looked pedestrian against the cavs.

and don't anyone mistake what I said about ainge. I only said he should be fired if he goes out and makes sideways moves. moves that on the surface look like we improve but are actually worse... like if we only sign Horford.

So, you're saying that there are only a handful of big men, free agent or not, who "move the needle" more than marginally?

I'll go ahead and say that the Celtics will be a better team over the next three seasons with Al Horford instead of Andre Drummond, if they could have a choice between the two.

great we'll be a 1st or 2nd rnd out depending on how good the rest of the east is... again.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Nope, "No Big Trades or Durant" is not only not the end of the world but is also the most likely scenario for the summer (Your definition of Big Trade may vary; mine involves any one of the Nets Pick, Bradley, Smart, Thomas.).

Mike

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Durant's not coming here this summer.  I can't see him leaving OKC before next year to coincide with Westbrook's contract being up.

depends on how you define a big trade but it takes 2 to tango.  I would be grossly disappointed if we come away this offseason without either a top 2 pick or an all-star via trade/free agency (Horford)

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
funny, I just heard this on 98.5 yesterday while driving home. There was a caller who was asking almost the same question but he was saying he wants to see us build a championship team from the ground up.

He thinks that is the more satisfying route if we win a championship that way because we build most of it from the draft and making smart decisions on signing FA. I can see that, like SA, and GSW, those two teams are basically built from scratch and not like Miami and CLE.

If we fail to sign Durant in which I think there is a big chance he stays in OKC, I don't think it's the end of the world, it's just we're rebuilding slowly vs the immediate - I WANT TO WIN NOW mentality. I am fine with that scenario too. Makes me very proud to be a fan that we drafted right.