Author Topic: No Big Trades or Durant: Would This Offseason Scenario be the End of the World?  (Read 3475 times)

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
- While Durant opts to return to OKC given their competitive series with the Spurs (there's always next year!), we luck out in the lottery and end up with Simmons or Ingram after the Kings demand a King's ransom for Cousins.

- We bundle the rest of our 2016 first rounders to move up for Sabonis (or whichever mid/late-lottery guy Danny has his eyes on). Second rounders are draft-and-stash'ers. We retain all future picks.

- We sign Dwight Howard and Bismack Biyombo, shoring up our D in the paint (and bringing back respectability on the boards!). Turner returns with a cap-friendly deal.

Key Additions: Simmons (Or Ingram), Howard, Biyombo, Sabonis (or other mid/late-lottery player)
Key Subtractions: Sullinger, Zeller
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 04:47:32 AM by meangreenmachine »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 599
Man that roster is a disastrous shooting team. I doubt Danny will keep the roster as it is. I expect upgrades on our bigs via bargain signing ala Amir Johnson. Either one of Smart/Bradley/Crowder is getting shipped along with some of our young guys and picks.

Offline meangreenmachine

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 36
Man that roster is a disastrous shooting team.

Still an improvement over our shooting last year, not to mention a huge upgrade on the boards and in the paint. At the margin, our rebounding gains from Howard/Biyombo will more than offset any loss in shooting efficiency compared to any other centers we could bring in this year (it's not like we're getting outstanding shooting from the Three Stooges, Olynyk/Sullinger/Zeller).

Yeah, we did not address our lackluster shooting in the backcourt, but Smart may improve; besides, both him and Bradley arguably make up for poor shooting with stellar D. I am guessing we would shift more shots towards Simmons (or Ingram) combined with more high-percentage shots in the paint for Howard, although at this point Howard is obviously more of a force on the defensive side. Some say that Simmons may be the most dominant rookie since Durant or James (we are certainly due for a Rookie of the Year!), so perhaps 18-20 PPG from him is not completely out of the question. Turner and Crowder certainly provide respectable shooting off the bench.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 05:13:22 AM by meangreenmachine »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
DA has to address shooting, length, paint defense, post offense and rebounding. So a top 5 pick would be fine as it would net as Simmons, Ingram, Bender, Murray or Heild all fit needs. Then with FAs there are a few options. Be it Anderson and Barnes or some other lowest case scenario the team should net a upgrade or two to the roster. DA just has to find good deals/fits. Really target the needs. Also try to consolidate some picks or hit on Euro stashes. We may also see picks being moved for NBA role players in an attempt to fill the needs. I think the focus is just get better.

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If we end up with a top-2 pick, I don't want to poison him by subjecting him to Dwight Howard.  The clown can paint his face on some other team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we will be fine if we do not get one of those guys in terms of the world ending.  Will it be disappointing, absolutely.   

But we still we have a hard playing core.  With some picks to add to the mix.  Even  guys like Bazemore or Biyombo might be a solid additions to our team.   I would not want to overspend because next season the free agents are  considered better than this one.

http://hoopshype.com/2015/12/30/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/

That being said, it would stink, but the world would not end.

As some had said, we get a top two and this would be palatable.  We need a big down low that can score on putbacks and rim protect and rebound.   We had a solid D, last year without one and Sluginer playing a good deal.   I think we could go the number one by replacing him.   We were what 4th, last year despite Jared.

Shooting and ability scorer is something we need.  I could Ainge putting a package around KO for Derozan.   It would take more than KO but he is a local kid that would sell some tickets.   It would take AB and some picks and filler as well.   Demar can score but is a suspect shooter.  I think Ainge will do something that we do expect.

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
If we land a top two pick I'll be doing back flips. Not like it makes us a contender but I DO think Ingram looks like a future superstar . Simmons I think looks like Lamar Odom at worst. I guess the only thing I think would be a disaster would be our pick between 3-6 turns out to be a complete whiff and we waste money on guys that make is only marginally better.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we land a top two pick I'll be doing back flips. Not like it makes us a contender but I DO think Ingram looks like a future superstar . Simmons I think looks like Lamar Odom at worst. I guess the only thing I think would be a disaster would be our pick between 3-6 turns out to be a complete whiff and we waste money on guys that make is only marginally better.

Yeah, top two pick automatically means the world will continue on.

Danny will be shopping a 3-6 pick very hard, though - can't imagine we just make the pick there and call it a day; not without at least one big signing or trade.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Any scenario where Boston gets a top 2 pick is not a bad scenario. It would be fantastic.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
if we don't improve the talent on this team this off-season it would be a crime considering this is what was supposed to happen.

if nothing happens trade-wise we should blow it up and embrace the youth. if we make a bunch of sideways moves, like if our 1st move in free agency is to run out and sign an Amir Johnson level player then danny should be fired. for a while now we've heard our draft picks referred to as assets and not draft picks, at some point you have to come through.

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
if we don't improve the talent on this team this off-season it would be a crime considering this is what was supposed to happen.

if nothing happens trade-wise we should blow it up and embrace the youth. if we make a bunch of sideways moves, like if our 1st move in free agency is to run out and sign an Amir Johnson level player then danny should be fired. for a while now we've heard our draft picks referred to as assets and not draft picks, at some point you have to come through.
   This is why I've been dissapointed with Ainge. I feel he has let fear of losing Stevens allow stuff like starting Sullinger.

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
I fear the day Ainge isn't in charge though. To me, HE is easily the most valuable asset.

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

This is why I've been dissapointed with Ainge. I feel he has let fear of losing Stevens allow stuff like starting Sullinger.

I'd be much more afraid if we had a GM that micromanage the coach
I'm bitter.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

This is a weak free agent class with only Durant and Horford as unrestricted free agents worthy of the max.  If the Celtics don't sign either, they should consider maintaining payroll flexibility to have a shot at signing a major free agent in 2017.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

This is a weak free agent class with only Durant and Horford as unrestricted free agents worthy of the max.  If the Celtics don't sign either, they should consider maintaining payroll flexibility to have a shot at signing a major free agent in 2017.

I agree about maintaining flexibility if signing Durant doesn't happen but i'm against signing horford. yeah he's better than any pf we have but only marginally... he still looked pedestrian against the cavs.

and don't anyone mistake what I said about ainge. I only said he should be fired if he goes out and makes sideways moves. moves that on the surface look like we improve but are actually worse... like if we only sign Horford.