THE Walker Wiggle! It would be awesome if he joins.
What are we doing with the former Bellevue Team? Is the new GM going to inherit that roster or are we going to correct some past mistakes and work out a rebalancing plan of some sort?
As an impartial observer who still thinks this league is pretty rad despite what happened to me (this will be the 9th season - hopefully you guys can get to the 10 year anniversary), I'm super interested to see if Karl Towns or Kevin Durant would go first in the "We Made Mistakes Trading with Bellevue and Need to be Bailed Out" draft. It will be fascinating to see how you guys deal with it given that it will have a pretty significant impact on rosters.
Also, FWIW, if you guys still need a permanent commish (since the league never had a chance to vote on a replacement for Byennie when he vanished last Summer), I'd consider offering my services. Feel free to add my name to the list of candidates if you guys ever have an official vote.
- I have no intention of owning a team, so that removes any potential bias the league previously had with a commissioner holding dual role as a competitor.
- I know some folks were upset the temp commish had a public lack of respect for the constitution. It was broken in two rather significant ways without proper votes (adding the IL slot without a vote and unconstitutionally removing a member)
- My understanding of this league's rules and constitution is second only to Lucky17.
- I previously built the offseason tracking sheet, corrected the temp commish on his multiple offseason errors, maintained the league history page, and manually kept track of the in-season tourneys, so I wouldn't necessarily mind continuing that if you need it.
- Having observed how the DKC League operates, it might be sort of fun writing league-wide articles, season previews, power rankings, etc for a league I have no rooting interest in. For instance, The Walker Wiggle had previously owned a team from 2007-09 that is now known as the Jackalopes: http://nedyken.com/cbpl/teams/jackalopes/
... that team has since fallen out of the top 5. Seeing another one of the league's former original members to return to take over the most famous fantasy basketball team in the world (35,000 Redditors can't be wrong) would be a fun storyline.
Anyways, regardless of how you guys handle the beast that I left behind, my two cents is that if you truly decide to do an unprecedented "Bail Out" draft, a smart way of dealing with it would be to make every
team in the league protect only 10 players (instead of the typical 16). This is similar to how the NBA handles Expansion Drafts. Every team has a "protection list" and is forced to cut guys. Then, you'd make the unprecedented decision to do initial waiver order based on records worst-to-first... perhaps even doing a second live-streamed lotto (with weighting based on teams worst-to-first) to determine the official draft order. What would end up happening is that the worst teams (TB, MMSB, Brahma) would have no trouble cutting 6 guys. But the top teams (Bellevue, Pitts, Ubuntu) would struggle to decide which 6 guys to cut. Bellevue in particular (just based on fantasy averages worst-to-first) would likely have to cut Dante Exum, Otto Porter Jr, Zaza Pachulia, Jabari Parker, Julius Randle and D'Angelo Russell. Sure, they'd keep the mega-stars like Towns/Durant, but that would be a pretty significant addition to the talent pool if the top picks went to the hopeless bottomfeeders. Example: #1 TB (Parker?), #2 MMSB (Randle?), #3 Brahma (Russell?), etc not including the talent teams like Pitts and Ubuntu would need to cut to get down to 10 players. It would be a big step towards helping some of the balance - especially if you limited the "Bail Out Draft" to only include the bottom 10 teams. One note on this: If might make the most sense to to do the "10 player cut-down" before the offseason trades begin, because it would prevent consolidation trades. The top teams would have no choice but to make their 6 cuts (or in some cases more than 6 when you consider the IL slot and 2016 draft picks).
Excited to see what you guys do either way.