Author Topic: Durant News/Speculation  (Read 2281 times)

Durant News/Speculation
« on: May 06, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/will-kevin-durant-leave-thunder-other-teams-reportedly-believe-decision-hinges-on-spurs-series/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

So it seems that everyone is expecting the Spurs/OKC series to be the ultimate gauge for Durant's decision this offseason. If they lose to the Spurs, many feel that he'll almost assuredly walk. On the other hand, advancing to the conference finals would seemingly keep him in OKC on a 1 + 1 deal this summer, no matter what happened the rest of the way.

I do think Durant walks if they lose this series, but I'm not sold on the fact that winning this series keeps him in OKC no matter what happens the rest of the way. If they lose convincingly in five or so games to the Warriors next round, that's just as much of a gut-check as losing this series.

Though it does highlight the importance of the Spurs winning this series to create the best environment for Durant leaving.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/report-spurs-plan-to-pursue-kevin-durant-as-hard-as-warriors-do/

In other news, SAS is also apparently set to chase Durant as hard as GSW is, though it'd take some real cap magic for them to ultimately nab him.

I'm not really worried about GSW getting Durant, because I think that is career suicide for Durant to join them (3 All-Stars, 2-time MVP, best regular season team in history, probable repeat champions, etc.). He'd ultimately lose status as a top-3 player in this league, and he very well could end up a third option in GS. I think that'd really hurt his legacy in the league.

SA, on the other hand, worries me a bit if they could ultimately find space for him in the cap. It's close to his college home (UT), and it wouldn't hurt his legacy as much due to him probably being the number one option if he goes there. It's also a team culture, environment, and coaching/management that rivals us, and they're currently set up better with KL and LMA. However, like I said it'd take some real cap magic to work out, and there's some real positional concerns there with KL and LMA already at the 3 and 4.

I think being in the Eastern Conference and the ability to have 2 max free agents helps us versus SA, along with our ridiculous assets that we can always use to better the team. Also, it's also hard seeing him joining a team after a contentious series against them that ultimately ended their season.

Let's just hope for a contentious series where the Spurs ultimately beat OKC and create some bad blood with Durant along the way!

Re: Durant News/Speculation
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:41:13 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think the series is about how, not how many.

If OKC makes this a competitive series but loses, I think Durant returns.

If they drop the next three in abysmal fashion, he's probably gone.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:47:59 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I don't know. How does Durant justify staying on OKC when A) they cement themselves as the third best team in the West, B) they can't win a series against the second best team, let alone the Warriors who are on an even higher level, and C) they don't really have much room to improve themselves this offseason between Durant and Waiters being free agents? I think this is do-or-die for him, which it should be.

Now if an injury happens that's different. But even if they lose in 7 in a fair, hard-fought series, that takes a major leap of faith to think things will improve for them next year when they can't even beat the Spurs and not even make it to the Warriors.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 04:03:19 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
the 1997 Ping Pong Balls are STILL haunting us---No Way Spurs and Popovich EVER become this kind of Dynasty--and Player Destination--if the Balls fell where they should have...If they get Durant now---it still goes back to that dark day in 1997.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 04:13:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I don't know. How does Durant justify staying on OKC when A) they cement themselves as the third best team in the West, B) they can't win a series against the second best team, let alone the Warriors who are on an even higher level, and C) they don't really have much room to improve themselves this offseason between Durant and Waiters being free agents? I think this is do-or-die for him, which it should be.

Now if an injury happens that's different. But even if they lose in 7 in a fair, hard-fought series, that takes a major leap of faith to think things will improve for them next year when they can't even beat the Spurs and not even make it to the Warriors.

Westbrook, Ibaka, and Adams make for a terrific big four with KD. Kanter as a big off the bench in a 6th man role.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/oklahoma-city-thunder/yearly/cap/

Expendable/filler salary available to offer in trade, including some partial guaranteed money in Morrow.

Full MLE at their disposal as well. They can add pieces to the core five/six players that have gotten them to #3 in the West.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 04:15:12 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I know the cap is supposed to blow up, but looking at what San Antonio has for available cap space for next season - I just don't see how it works. Not that it's impossible but it would take some real inventive ideas to get them there. Plus,  if they do, it would be difficult for them to fill the rest of the roster to compliment theif big three. San Antonio will be a championship contender with or without Durant so I don't see why they bother. I'm no capologist by any stretch and it might be easily possible for them to nab him but I'm not seeing it.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
Well, if KD goes to SAS, they will contend, but for how much longer? He'll be middling forever in OKC if he stays. If he comes to Boston, he contends AND the team grows and gets better every year. Especially if Smart reaches his full potential and Isaiah is still killin it. That'd be scary.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 04:33:36 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Well, if KD goes to SAS, they will contend, but for how much longer? He'll be middling forever in OKC if he stays. If he comes to Boston, he contends AND the team grows and gets better every year. Especially if Smart reaches his full potential and Isaiah is still killin it. That'd be scary.

Boston has no one on the level of Westbrook. Or Ibaka. Or Adams, for that matter.

So why does Durant leave the "middling forever" Thunder to join a "contending" Boston team?

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 04:37:43 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
This is a lot of worrying and conversation over something we have no control over.

I'd recommend to just chill and not get too caught up in this.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

Exactly my point. Who really knows what KD is thinking or if he has already made up his mind. No need to stress guys. Let it be.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 04:59:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
the 1997 Ping Pong Balls are STILL haunting us---No Way Spurs and Popovich EVER become this kind of Dynasty--and Player Destination--if the Balls fell where they should have...
Rick Pitino could have been today's Greg Popovic. Let that sink in.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I believe Durant will sign a 1 year contract to remain in OKC.  The cap is going to go up even more next summer so he will sign an even bigger contract next summer.  Donovan was a 1st year coach, so that gives him another year to see how he does.  Westbrook is expiring next summer so he and Durant would have the decision together.  I really can't see Durant doing anything but re-upping for 1 year (unless he really likes OKC and wants to stay so he just goes max). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
the 1997 Ping Pong Balls are STILL haunting us---No Way Spurs and Popovich EVER become this kind of Dynasty--and Player Destination--if the Balls fell where they should have...
Rick Pitino could have been today's Greg Popovic. Let that sink in.

Duncan's a special player, probably top ten of all time, but Pop is special too.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 05:29:03 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I believe Durant will sign a 1 year contract to remain in OKC.  The cap is going to go up even more next summer so he will sign an even bigger contract next summer.  ..........  I really can't see Durant doing anything but re-upping for 1 year (unless he really likes OKC and wants to stay so he just goes max).

Just re-upping for one year leaves him exposed to injury and the resulting financial damage that would cause.

If he signs a one year contract, how many years does the CBA allow for a player option?

If he has it where he can opt out after year #1, 2, 3,etc., he can have his cake and eat it too. He could get max salary for the amount of time that he wants to stay, which protects him from potential injury, or he could opt out for bigger $$$ after any of those years.

Is that possible?

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 05:31:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Boston has no one on the level of Westbrook. Or Ibaka. Or Adams, for that matter.

So why does Durant leave the "middling forever" Thunder to join a "contending" Boston team?

Are you saying Adams and Ibaka are better than IT?