Author Topic: 1st mock draft of the season!  (Read 8472 times)

Re: 1st mock draft of the season!
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 03:59:09 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
TP perks-a-beast, really well made, this is definitely a "makes too much sense not to happen" kind of mock.

Noteworthy picks...

Jamaal Murray to the Celtics. Agree with PhoSita, we're not going to better than Jamaal Murray at this spot. Mature composed game, strong ball handling, excellent shooter of f the bounce or spot up. If he can bring 80% of James Harden's offensive output without the headaches and standoffish locker room persona this would be an A+ pick.

Buddy Hield to the Nuggets - Like you said, potential perfect pairing for Mudiay, tireless work ethic and Curry like shot making is exactly the type of player to stick on a team loaded with young but somewhat unpollished talent. The Denver home court elevation advantage is real IMO and Hield hitting backbreaking 3's in transition could become a staple of their club for years to come.

Ellenson to the Kings - I like it. Perfect pick after taking Willey Caulie-Stein last year. Regardless of what happens with Cousins, putting a solid, offensively aggressive and fundamentally sound floor spacer next to Caulie-Stein is just what the team could be looking floor. Perfect blend of need meets BPA at 8. Hopefully this is the year that Ben McLemore takes off because that fan base deserves a fun team again.

Skal Labisierre to the Magic - Fills the need that they don't have. Allows Nicola Vucevic to continue his solid production without fear that your stunting the teams future growth by not having a player growing in the front court. Do think Skal's passive nature could lead to problems with Skiles though.

Marqueese Chriss to the Suns - Both Suns pick seem like no brainers. Team just lost Markieff Morris and need some one who can keep up with Bledsoe and night. Potentially a nice fit with Bender down the road.

Diamond Stone to the Celtics - If we take Diamond Stone... I hope it means that we've moved on from Sullinger because I don't want the 2 of them sharing a locker room. That being said Stone has the size and length that Sullinger's always lacked. Could definitely see him turning into a Big Al Clone.

Ante Zicic to the Celtics - Sign me up, he's huge, seems to possess great hands and is the brother of a prominent Euro league stud. Easily the player I'd want at this pick and wouldn't bat an eye is we felt we had to lock him up at 16. Like you said it'd be tremendous if we could get the next Jokic, Nurkic, or Pecovic. Just seems like the modern NBA game has a spot for these guys.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Murray, oh yeah, another guard because we haven't drafted one in recent history.....

IMO, this is dreadful if it plays out like this.

The kid avg 20 ppg on 40% from 3 as a fresh at Kentucky . What is wrong with that?

You don't just draft because of need this high up in the lottery. You take the best talent available . He either becomes a piece in a trade , or maybe makes Bradley expendable and available to be traded to upgrade our big man rotation .

He can play both on and off the ball which would fit well with IT and Smart as well.

can't always go by stats, rj hunter averaged 21 ppg and 36% from three as a frosh. 

in order to trade, there has to be value.  if the c's have a glut, then teams might underbid knowing that.  if murray is selected, that leaves us with murray, bradley, hunter. rozier, smart, thomas, holland, turner (fa), young.  turner and young are also listed as forwards. 

think if murray is their guy, then trades hopefully will be made prior to the pick.

Actually, Hunter averaged 17 ppg in the Colonial Conference. Murray put up those numbers in the SEC. Huge difference.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 04:21:22 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em

5. Wolves  -  Kris Dunn. PG. Providence.
I’d be shocked if the Wolves passed on Dunn, the best player available, because they still see Ricky Rubio as their long term PG. While Dunn may not be the passer Rubio is, he’s ten times the defender and competitor. If Minny could put some shooters around the core of Dunn/Wiggins/Towns, that would be an elite team for a lot of years to come.

This is very well done. TP, sir. My one issue is this. While the Wolves may pick Dunn – I think he's a fantastic prospect – I'd think they're pretty invested in Ricky Rubio. He's actually an outstanding defender – one of the best in the league. I'd expect them to look for a shooter in Hield or Murray.
DKC Suns

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 04:37:51 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Nice job.  Like others I'm not a Stone fan.  Would rather see someone like Luwawu, Davis or Chriss in that range.  We need athleticism on the wing as much as a big.  Like the Murray and Zizic picks.

No way Channing Frye is Skal's floor.  I see the similarity, but Frye has had a productive NBA career.  Skal's floor is more in the Fab Melo range, unfortunately.  I agree on his ceiling though.

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 04:42:26 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

5. Wolves  -  Kris Dunn. PG. Providence.
I’d be shocked if the Wolves passed on Dunn, the best player available, because they still see Ricky Rubio as their long term PG. While Dunn may not be the passer Rubio is, he’s ten times the defender and competitor. If Minny could put some shooters around the core of Dunn/Wiggins/Towns, that would be an elite team for a lot of years to come.

This is very well done. TP, sir. My one issue is this. While the Wolves may pick Dunn – I think he's a fantastic prospect – I'd think they're pretty invested in Ricky Rubio. He's actually an outstanding defender – one of the best in the league. I'd expect them to look for a shooter in Hield or Murray.
Lavine and Wiggins are really good scorers/shooters. I don't think scoring will be a problem for them. I like the Dunn pick.

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Agree on Murray. After the top 2, he would be my top choice. Yes, we're deep at guard, but you also have to consider that any trade scenario will involve at least one (probably more) of our guards given that they are the only players on our team with trade value.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
that's a 'conspiracy theory' ordering -- only explanation for both the Lakers and Sixers getting the top 2 picks while the C's slide behind Phx who passed Brooklyn at the end of the season.

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 04:54:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
As a matter of principal, I refuse to comment on a mock that has the Lakers picking 1st and the Celtics 4th.  I thought this was CelticsBlog, not LakersBlog.

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 04:57:38 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
No guards on our roster are good enough to prevent us from taking a guard if they are the best available prospect.

Smart and Murray could be a dynamite pairing down the road.

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 05:09:09 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
No guards on our roster are good enough to prevent us from taking a guard if they are the best available prospect.

smart and brown could be electifying as well. 

who and what decides the best "prospect".  some might think the french player is the best "prospect" in the draft.  websters defines it as: "someone or something that is likely to succeed or to be chosen"

if they are all fit the prospect definition, then i go need for a change.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 05:34:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Murray, oh yeah, another guard because we haven't drafted one in recent history.....

The kid avg 20 ppg on 40% from 3 as a fresh at Kentucky . What is wrong with that?

You don't just draft because of need this high up in the lottery. You take the best talent available . He either becomes a piece in a trade , or maybe makes Bradley expendable and available to be traded to upgrade our big man rotation .

He can play both on and off the ball which would fit well with IT and Smart as well.

can't always go by stats, rj hunter averaged 21 ppg and 36% from three as a frosh. 

in order to trade, there has to be value.  if the c's have a glut, then teams might underbid knowing that.  if murray is selected, that leaves us with murray, bradley, hunter. rozier, smart, thomas, holland, turner (fa), young.  turner and young are also listed as forwards. 

think if murray is their guy, then trades hopefully will be made prior to the pick.

Yup I agree on stats of Murray vs Hunter

Though Murray at 40 percent @ e3 pt line is noticeably better

And the fact is,  hunter did worse after his freshman season. 

Better if ppl didn't know but they did. Hence got drafted 28

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 04:16:18 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell

smart and brown could be electifying as well. 

who and what decides the best "prospect".  some might think the french player is the best "prospect" in the draft.  websters defines it as: "someone or something that is likely to succeed or to be chosen"

if they are all fit the prospect definition, then i go need for a change.

Well sure, it's essentially impossible to define what makes 1 prospect better than another, it's subjective.

I know at the most basic level, I like the very simple Floor/Ceiling/Ladder concept when evaluating prospects.

Floor
When I look at Murray vs Brown. It's clear as day that Murray has a much more developed offensive game. But even that doesn't mean that he has a higher floor because that game could be ineffective in the pros and Brown could very easily slide into a 3 and D high level role player.

However given that they were both freshman, Murray succeeding at a high level on arguably the most polarizing team in the country (He beat out Brandon Knight for the all time highest scoring freshman in Ketucky history) is far more impressive than Jaylen Brown going cold during the final stretch of the season where Cal failed to make the tournament.
Floor - Jamaal Murray and IMO it's not even close.

Ceiling
Measurements wise it's no question. Jamaal Murray is a mediocre athlete. Jaylen Brown has all of the makings of a long, talented wing that are so coveted in the NBA. I do think it''s fair to take into account Murray's excellent 3 point shooting when determining his ceiling, but it's rare to see anyone except maybe Brandon Roy able to create enough space at the NBA level to overcome an underwhelming first step.

It's not hard to imagine a world where Jaylen Brown is the defensive, floor spacing lynchpin of a playoff contender, however he will have to develop much more than Murray would to reach his peak.
Ceiling - Jaylen Brown, though it's closer than it should be.

Ladder(Defined as the factors that will contribute to a player reaching their success I.E work ethic, outside distractions, injury concerns, anything that is prevalent in a player's life that could be an obstacle or benefit to the player reaching his peak performance)

This one's not even close. I can only go by what I hear in the media but what comes out leaves Jamaal Murray smelling like roses and Jaylen Brown with a heaping pile of question marks. Murray is described as a composed young man who's mature beyond his years and practices mindfulness exercises daily. Mike Schmidt of Draft Express stated on a podcast last year that one of Jaylen Brown's greatest hurdles during the pre-draft process will be the interview process.

Schmidt describes Brown as an intelligent, interesting young man who has many interests outside of basketball. He claims that Brown will need to be careful in interviews to convince teams that his head is 100% in the game and not thinking about things that are happening off the court.

I'm more concerned about Murray getting injured than the natural athlete that is Jaylen Brown but then I'm more concerned that Jaylen Brown could end up as the next Larry Sanders.(In terms of commitent to the craft, not drug use concerns.)
Ladder - Jamaal Murray by a mile.

Overall I grade Murray as an "A-" to "A" prospect and Jaylen Brown a strong "B".  IMO players like Murray are too rare to warrant taking a more traditional but inferior prospect like Jaylen Brown.

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 04:18:24 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tp for the mock.

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Actually, Hunter averaged 17 ppg in the Colonial Conference. Murray put up those numbers in the SEC. Huge difference.

Not really. The SEC isn't much of a powerhouse in basketball, football yes. My 20 points came from on line, I checked again and found both 20 and 17. 

I'll pass on Murray, don't care if he played for Duke.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'm sorry, but if LA and PHI get picks 1 and 2 I will not be watching the draft let alone the NBA.  Hopefully the basketball gods are not dead  ;)
Truuuuuuuuuth!