Author Topic: Enough assets to trade for two stars?  (Read 1957 times)

Enough assets to trade for two stars?
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:55:57 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Assuming the pick lands at #3, not the best case scenario but not the worst either. Does Danny have enough assets to acquire two stars?

Pkg 1 - Jerebko, Rozier, Nets 2016 pick, Philly 2nd round, (Pick one of Thomas?, Bradley, Crowder)

Target: Jimmy Butler or  Paul George

Pkg 2: Amir Johnson, Marcus Smart, James Young, 2016 Dallas pick, 2017 Minny 2nd round, 2018 Nets pick

Target: DeMarcus Cousins or Serge Ibaka or Kevin Love

Roster:

(Free Agent) - should be plenty of room to sign a free agent
Target 1 - Love makes $20 mil
Target 2 - Butler makes $16.5 mil
Thomas - $7 mil
Bradley or Crowder  $7 mil or $8 mil
Olykyk  $2.2 mil
Mickey $1.2 mil
Hunter $1.2 mil
Keep Zeller???
Keep Turner???
1st rounder
2nd rounder
2nd rounder

Re: Enough assets to trade for two stars?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:03:47 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think we might have enough assets to trade for two stars, but the roster/asset base would probably be depleted in doing so.

I don't want this team to go from being deep to having two stars and all below replacement level players. I would rather we continue to draft/develop so we can have a quality team around stars we trade for.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:15:42 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Paul George would require alot more. I think the truth of the matter is nobody is parting with their star for any package unless it includes the nets pick. Makes it hard to trade for 2 "stars" if that's the case.

I think it would take so much to get george. Realistic target I think would be cousins. If we give up the nets pick, I say swing for the fences. If you could somehow add cousins with the 2016, and butler with the Dallas, 2018 nets and 2018 grizzlies along with crowder, I'd say you do it.

IT/bradley/butler/pf/cousins with smart and olynyk as the bench is a contender, easy.
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:26:42 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
It would be harder to get George and Cousins. Butler and Ibaka might be the consolation prizes. Are they enough to convince Durant to come? If he doesn't come, is their a free agent out there that could make Cerics fans happy? I don't think Horford is that guy.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
1. We probably have enough assets.
2. Danny would have to be fired if he gave up all that for Ibaka (and possibly Love too).
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
We have enough for ONE star---and that's all we need---cause it would set up a couple of Free Agent signings...We do NOT have enough for 2 stars.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:58:29 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Those are green tinted trades

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 09:12:28 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Say we land the number #1 pick , maybe the kings buy Simmons as a future franchise player.  Maybe they give up Cousins for that. That leaves a ton of assets for Jimmy Butler (all of our left over 2016 picks, 2018 Nets pick, Jae Crowder, Kelly Olynyk, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart.)  In that hypothetical, would we have the cap space to sign KD.

Isaiah Thomas/ Terry Rozier
Jimmy Butler/ RJ Hunter/James Young
Kevin Durant/ Evan Turner
Question Mark/ Jonas Jerebko/ Jordan Mickey
Demarcus Cousins/ Tyler Zeller

Would we have enough money to sign a starting power forward (Ryan Anderson) or add some firepower to the second unit (Eric Gordon, Brandon Jennings, Nene, Mirza Teletivic, Trevor Booker,  Noris Cole, Kevin Seraphin,  Ty Lawson, JJ Hickson, etc)

I don't know how the cap works

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 09:20:03 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Maybe we can sign-trade Sully or Zeller to get additional assets?  Danny is a magician at making assets appear from vapor!

I feel like it is best to focus on trading for one impact star, and then trying to lure the other star from free agency.  We don't want too extreme roster turnover from a 48-game winner.  We want an upgrade to get us into the 52-55 win range so we can compete deep into the playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 09:34:38 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Of course we do.

If this year's Nets pick is top 2, that alone would nearly be enough for a star. But even if it's just a top 5 pick...there's also two more top 5-ish Nets picks, the future Memphis pick, two more 2016 firsts, two early 2016 seconds, and two or three more of our own future firsts, plus all the recent mid-first and early-second round talent in Olynyk-Young-Rozier-Hunter-Mickey plus Bradley and Amir and Jerebko for veteran "filler". We have enough to trade for three stars. Around the deadline I figured the maximum all the assets could plausibly get us in a trade is something like Griffin-Hayward-Noel or Horford-Hayward-Howard, all while also having enough cap space to sign 1.5-2 more stars as free agents, all while hanging onto Isaiah and Crowder and Smart. (I'd love to get Butler-Millsap-Noel. Imagine if Smart retakes the starting PG role, a lineup of Smart-Butler-Crowder-Millsap-Noel and Isaiah as a Manu-ish Sixth Man of the Year.)
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 10:43:39 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Count Love out of that 2nd scenario. Cleveland is not in the pick acquisition business. You are never getting Cousins without Nets 2016. Ibaka is not on this level. Scenario 1 is more realistic as long as those teams actually want to trade Butler or George, which is unclear right now.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2016, 10:26:59 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I was mostly joking here emptying all our assets except for IT for 3 big trades, and still enough room to sign Durant. 

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=84198.0

More seriously though if we can somehow go into free agency with already the acquisition of 2 stars via trade I would feel a lot more comfortable securing Durant coming here rather than banking on signing Durant and another star.

I know people are worried about depleting our roster too much if we trade for 2 stars but to steal a line from Field of Dreams if you build it they will come.  ha  What I mean is similar to the 07 offseason we could probably look to fill out our roster with the Eddie House-James Posey types on the cheap.   I would look at players like Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee.

The advantage this time around is next year there will be another big jump in the cap which would help us balance the roster even more.     

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 11:00:10 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
We have enough assets to trade for two stars, but we also have enough cap space to keep our assets and sign two stars.