Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers interested in Ezeli at 50 million/3yr  (Read 8062 times)

Re: Rumor: Lakers interested in Ezeli at 50 million/3yr
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 09:34:53 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
He'll be just another Ian Mahinmi.

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2016, 01:07:07 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
There's almost no way the Warriors can keep both Ezeli and Barnes.  Resigning those two alone will likely push them into the luxury tax, and they also may want to pay to keep Speights and/or Barbosa around.  Keeping most of their team in tact will push the payroll to the $125-130 million range.  A lot of that money will still be committed next season when Curry gets a $20 million raise himself.

Accordingly, if teams want one of Barnes or Ezeli, it really makes sense to throw a big offer at them if you can afford it.  The Warriors will have real trouble matching it, so you can steal a restricted free agent.  And obviously Barnes is gone if the Warriors finagle Durant onto their roster, both due to cap reasons and roster construction reasons.
In 2017 Bogut comes off the books too. So I think they re-sign Ezeli as the heir apparent. Much of Bogut's salary will go to the Curry re-signing I imagine but they wouldn't be as far into the luxury tax. It'll be Barnes that will be difficult, someone will throw a max contract his way and I'm not sure it's worth it for GS to match given how much it will actually cost them

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2016, 02:33:33 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
ezili has only played 92 regular season games the last 3 years, he missed the entire '13-'14 season, and averaged about 14 MPG in the last 2 seasons.

his stats per minute are solid - but he has a LOT of help around him on both ends, i've never seen anything that makes me think he's more than a role player.

he's young and could improve - but the injuries, limited minutes, and overall mediocrity are big red flags for me.

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2016, 03:35:14 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's probably reasonable to expect you have to offer close to as much money as you'd have to throw at Gorgui Dieng if he were a restricted free agent this summer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 07:51:42 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
This doesn't look so crazy to me, Walton will be coaching lakers, maybe he knows Ezeli's true potential?

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 08:54:13 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
He'll be just another Ian Mahinmi.

Mahinmi had a pretty good season.  I'd say he's better than any of our bigs.

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 09:11:14 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/how-crazy-will-summer-free-agent-market-be-how-about-reported-50-million-for-festus-ezeli/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Market is so insane that the fakers might try to pry Restricted Festus Ezeli from the Warriors with a contract worth 50 million. This would apparently be 16.7 mil a year. Article breaks down his stats, but they aren't pretty. This market is gonna be stupid for none superstars going forward. (7 pts and 5 reb in 17 mpg)

Ainge really is a maestro with these recent contracts he has signed (cough bradley and crowder.)

Makes sense. 

Three years from now they can compete with Cleveland (Thompson) for the title of "stupidest overpay for a role playing big man". 

Except Cleveland at least have a reason (they are contending and are in win now mode, and couldn't afford to replace TT if he walked), so the Lakers would win that by default.