Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers interested in Ezeli at 50 million/3yr  (Read 8042 times)

Rumor: Lakers interested in Ezeli at 50 million/3yr
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:55:42 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/06/how-crazy-will-summer-free-agent-market-be-how-about-reported-50-million-for-festus-ezeli/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Market is so insane that the fakers might try to pry Restricted Festus Ezeli from the Warriors with a contract worth 50 million. This would apparently be 16.7 mil a year. Article breaks down his stats, but they aren't pretty. This market is gonna be stupid for none superstars going forward. (7 pts and 5 reb in 17 mpg)

Ainge really is a maestro with these recent contracts he has signed (cough bradley and crowder.)
#JKJB

Re: Rumor: Lakers interested in Ezeli at 50 million
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Ezeli will get that much on the open market. It will be interesting, because Ezeli getting that much will make it hard for GSW to keep him and Barnes.

If GSW wants to pursue Durant and Barnes/Ezeli sign an offer sheet with another team early in free agency the Warriors will have to renounce Barnes/Ezeli to continue to have enough space to be in the run for Durant.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Rumor: Lakers interested in Ezeli at 50 million/3yr
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 11:05:22 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
That seems like crazy money for a (prime) Kendrick Perkins level player.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 11:08:27 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Good for them. Waste their cap space on an ok starter and nothing more
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 11:11:51 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff
I also wonder if this has any implications on their desire to trade for cousins. You wouldn't throw that money at Ezeli if you can get the best center in the league.

PS- kinda crazy that Ezeli will basically get the same amount as cousins.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I also wonder if this has any implications on their desire to trade for cousins. You wouldn't throw that money at Ezeli if you can get the best center in the league.

This is a big reason why I'd rather trade for Cousins or M Gasol if they become available. Yes you would need to give up value in return but you can either maintain cap space to chase another star or absorb them into our cap space whilst still maintaining max level flexibility for 2017

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 11:17:34 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
If Ezeli is worth $17M/yr, what is Whiteside worth?

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
This is a big overpay. But the Lakers at their position may have to overpay, specially to get a guy to leave GS and few a rings behind.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Perkins dreams of having the level of athleticism Ezeli does.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »

• Jim Loscutoff

This is a big reason why I'd rather trade for Cousins or M Gasol if they become available. Yes you would need to give up value in return but you can either maintain cap space to chase another star or absorb them into our cap space whilst still maintaining max level flexibility for 2017

TP preaching to the choir. Cousins is literally on an amazing contract considering he averaged 27/ 12. He is basically getting the same money Ezeli gets, except averaging 2.5x the rebounds, and 20 MORE ppg. Add the fact that he will be 25 and you have the best trade target In the league.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 11:45:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Ezeli has played just 3 years in the league (though is 26).  He has improved significantly in each of his seasons and as his minutes have increased so has his per minute production (i.e. not only is he playing more minutes, his per 36 numbers are up across the board in his 3 seasons).  Obviously this would be a contract about future production and not past production, and the fact that he is a restricted free agent also means you have to pay him more, but it is really hard to say what Ezeli will look like playing 30 minutes a game.  He may very well be a 15/10 type player, which would mean 17 million (especially given his restricted status and the cap) would be about right.  Now maybe he can't play 30 minutes a night or maybe his production drops significantly and then it is a massive overpay.  Who really knows.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 12:01:33 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Eh, I just think it sounds weird with the new cap, but doesn't seem that out of line when you think about it.

Prime Perk signed for $36m/4 for $9m per year with a $58m cap, so also about 15% of the cap.

With this deal, Ezeli would be getting $16.7 per with an expected $89m cap in '17 (so 18%-19% of the cap) and $108m cap in '18 (about 15% of the cap).

Back in 2011 when Perk signed (which I believe was considered a fair deal at the time), guys like Chandler, Dalembert, Kaman, Camby, Emeka Okafor, Nene, Eddy Curry, Bogut were all getting $11m+ (19%-22% of the cap).  Okur and Biedrins were getting $9m+ (15%-16% of cap).  Mark Blount, Pryzbilla, Gadzuric, Haywood, Mohammed were all getting around  $7m-$8m (12%-14% of the cap).

This deal doesn't seem that out of line with the premium that apparently still gets put on Centers, despite the current small ball Steph Curry craze.  Not the bargain fans hope for, but probably fair market value.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 12:59:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Festus Ezeli would be a good starting Center.

Very mobile for his position, improving offensive rebounder, can finally catch the ball, and now he's coming in to any team with championship experience.

It is an overpay, but I think this is a kind of overpay a team like the Lakers would do. He's young, and a proven quality player that would now get starter minutes. He's not going to live up to that contract, Festus is, as he's not going to score when you call a play for him, nor will he turn into an all-star, but he's going to do the effort plays, and do it really well, something that a team needs.

I think Ezeli will get that much on the open market. It will be interesting, because Ezeli getting that much will make it hard for GSW to keep him and Barnes.

I am just speculating on this, but there's no way GSW would bring Harrison Barnes back if he gets offered max or near max money. They've shown they could work without him, going really well with Brandon Rush starting. They have Kevon Looney sitting in the wings, and they have a draft pick this year that they could use to find a cheap replacement (their draft record since Bob Myers took over is exceptional).

I'd go as far as to say that I don't think they'll try to retain either if they get near max money. Ezeli is the heir apparent to Andrew Bogut, but seeming as Bogut looks like he can play for two-three more years, I doubt they'd retain him if he gets this much. They can just resign Mareese Speights and play him as the back-up Center and find a young guy to replace Ezeli's rebounding and defense, via the draft or free agency.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 01:13:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
And on a side note, who exactly would start a rumor like this?  I can't see why the Lakers would want to let this out.   I am sure the GSW would not.

Maybe, just maybe it is Ezeli's people who started this?

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sounds kinda crazy at first blush, but Ezeli is really good albeit in short minutes, and somebody will undoubtedly take a chance on him. 

The question I have with Ezeli is whether he can stay healthy.  Also there's some question about how he'd look on a team with fewer top quality talents taking all of the attention away from him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain