Author Topic: Simmons, Dejounte Murray to skip the NBA combine  (Read 8467 times)

Re: Simmons, Dejounte Murray to skip the NBA combine
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 12:14:04 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Remember, that Andrew Wiggins skipped the combine a couple years ago. It's not uncommon for elite prospects to skip the draft.

]I'm actually a little surprised Ingram is going, maybe he pulls out after hearing this, or maybe he's put on some weight since the season ended and wants to show it off.

Does this mean they will skip the   "measurements"  portion?

Interesting event. How it is beneficial for some to skip it and for others they can only pray they can get invited to it
Reading If a player is not invited , the chances of being drafted is slim to none (skip International Players)
When you are consensus #1, you have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

Don't think it's set in stone. Ingram might interest some teams to pick him number 1

Simmons has only an avg wingspan but could do well in max vertical test. Sprints etc
I wonder about Simmons wingspan, draft express has it as over 7 feet while, Chad ford mentioned that he had a short wingspan in one of his articles.

No worries. Simmons' jumpshot will only improve as the measurements of his wingspan decrease.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
There are a ton of reasons for prospects to skip the combines. It would seem logical for a prospect to want to go and to show off their skills versus others but with the advent of draft sites, mock drafts, measurements at schools, measurements at basketball camps, and the fact that just about every prospect has video of him playing since he was in middle school, the combines aren't always going to be beneficial for every prospect. When selling ANYTHING, and that's what prospects do by going to the combine, they are selling themselves, too much information isn't always good.

All the information that is readily available to us, is also readily available to the NBA team's scouting departments and they also have so much more. The teams that are interested in a prospect that the team feels will be available to them, will bring the player in to interview him, measure him and work him out. That's a lot more crucial event for the prospects than the combine.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 01:29:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Interesting event. How it is beneficial for some to skip it and for others they can only pray they can get invited to it

Reading If a player is not invited , the chances of being drafted is slim to none (skip International Players)

Do you think he didn't want to be exposed for his lack of athletic ability and subpar height and wingspan?

Chad Ford ‏@chadfordinsider  · 33m33 minutes ago 

Three players — Ben Simmons, Domantas Sabonis & Dejounte Murray — declined to participate.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 01:37:31 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Do you think he didn't want to be exposed for his lack of athletic ability and subpar height and wingspan?

Three players — Ben Simmons, Domantas Sabonis & Dejounte Murray — declined to participate.

I think that's a good call for Sabonis. He doesn't have the best measurables but get him in a workout where he gets to work out against other NBA prospects and he is going to thrive.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 01:48:19 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624

When you are consensus #1, you have everything to lose and nothing to gain.

And that doesn't apply to Simmons. The NBA Combine isn't important enough to really impact the Draft, but say Simmons turned out to have a longer wingspan than expected, I could see that improving his stock.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 02:18:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Will you drop it? He would take many many frontcourt players to school. We already saw it vs poeltl

Listen most of Celtics players would prob measure bottom in many measurements. But you can't measure work ethic, IQ, heart my friend

Just hoping Sabonis is closer to 6'11. The rest is gravy

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 02:25:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Will you drop it? He would take many many frontcourt players to school. We already saw it vs poeltl

Listen most of Celtics players would prob measure bottom in many measurements. But you can't measure work ethic, IQ, heart my friend

Just hoping Sabonis is closer to 6'11. The rest is gravy

Huh? This is your thread, man. A thread that had you question Simmons for skipping the combine. However, now that it's reported that Sabonis, who actually does have questionable measurables, is skipping then you give him a free pass. Is that not hypocritical? Just be consistent with your "concerns". You can't have it both ways. I know you would be all over Poetl if he skipped and Sabonis attended.

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Simmons is going top 2 no matter what.  He doesn't have much to gain by attending.  Not much to lose, either, but why bother with nothing to gain?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 02:39:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Simmons is going top 2 no matter what.  He doesn't have much to gain by attending.  Not much to lose, either, but why bother with nothing to gain?

All he has to lose is that he blows out a knee or Achilles by doing a jumping or sprinting exercise.  The less he exposes himself to injury, the better for him.  The difference between 1 and 2 isn't worth the risk.

He also will probably try to control what team he goes to -- if the Lakers get a top 3 pick, don't be surprised if that's the only team he works out for.

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 08:53:54 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Murray must have red flags or a draft promise.

Wouldn't a promise violate some kind of rules or something? Especially since he hasn't had any public workouts.
No it shouldn't it just means at that teams pick they gentlemen's  guarantee to pick you. It allows you to commit to draft easier as you know you will be drafted. The opposite also happens, teams give some guys advice to stay in school they may not get drafted.

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2016, 12:35:01 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

All he has to lose is that he blows out a knee or Achilles by doing a jumping or sprinting exercise.  The less he exposes himself to injury, the better for him.  The difference between 1 and 2 isn't worth the risk.

He also will probably try to control what team he goes to -- if the Lakers get a top 3 pick, don't be surprised if that's the only team he works out for.

Yeah, I think it's about control. If Philly is #1 he can decline to work out for them and nudge them into taking Ingram.

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2016, 12:47:18 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Simmons skips individual workouts along with the combine, I'll be worried.  For now, this is the mildest of warning signs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »

Offline Jarrin John

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 41
... For now, this is the mildest of warning signs.

And yet, "Celtics Insider A Sherrod Blakely" said last night on a cable sportscast that Simmons could slide to pick 3 or even 4 because of this. I think his "rationale" was that Simmons has questions of competitiveness to answer and this could be viewed as him avoiding competition. Or something like that. Seriously. Dude gets paid for this "Insider" perspective.

Am I the only one that misses the days of the sportscast guy just reading the scores and keeping his opinions to himself (Yeah, especially you Tanguay)?

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 06:17:45 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

And yet, "Celtics Insider A Sherrod Blakely" said last night on a cable sportscast that Simmons could slide to pick 3 or even 4 because of this. I think his "rationale" was that Simmons has questions of competitiveness to answer and this could be viewed as him avoiding competition. Or something like that. Seriously. Dude gets paid for this "Insider" perspective.

Am I the only one that misses the days of the sportscast guy just reading the scores and keeping his opinions to himself (Yeah, especially you Tanguay)?

I really do wonder how he has a job.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 06:39:19 PM »

Offline passesofftodj

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

Haha, that rationale by Blakely is stupid.  TP for you.  There is zero chance Simmons goes lower than 2 unless a GM is an idiot.  There are 7 guys you could take number 3 with a straight face but not  number 2.