Author Topic: ingrams and simmons  (Read 1988 times)

Re: ingrams and simmons
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 05:22:09 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Simmons is already very strong.

But I'd rather have Ingram.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 05:31:20 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Ben Simmons is essentially a carbon copy of Blake Griffin.
I don't see it.  Griffin is a better athlete and Simmons a better playmaker.  Neither is a good shooter however.

If I had to provide a comp, and people won't like it, it would be Lamar Odom.  They are extremely similar but that doesn't mean that Simmons can't be better.

I think Griffin is a pretty good comp. Both are very athletic + strong with average length. Griffin has bigger shoulders and more of a low post game, but it's not a dramatic difference; Griffin was 248lb at the combine and Simmons is listed at 240. Griffin is actually a pretty underrated passer/playmaker; maybe not as good as Simmons, but it's a strength of his. Obviously no comp is perfect but Griffin is a good example of how Simmons can be a superstar even without a 3pt shot.
I can buy that, though I do regard Simmons as a great athlete.  At least that is not what he is known for (unlike Griffin).

But I think Lamar Odom is a better comp.

You don't think Simmons is a great athlete? I mean, he's not LBJ but...

Anyway I agree that Odom is a good comp too, and not an unflattering one either; Odom was a stud. Like both of those comps better than the LBJ/Magic comps that people throw around too lightly.

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 06:31:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't see it.  Griffin is a better athlete and Simmons a better playmaker.  Neither is a good shooter however.

If I had to provide a comp, and people won't like it, it would be Lamar Odom.  They are extremely similar but that doesn't mean that Simmons can't be better.

I think Griffin is a pretty good comp. Both are very athletic + strong with average length. Griffin has bigger shoulders and more of a low post game, but it's not a dramatic difference; Griffin was 248lb at the combine and Simmons is listed at 240. Griffin is actually a pretty underrated passer/playmaker; maybe not as good as Simmons, but it's a strength of his. Obviously no comp is perfect but Griffin is a good example of how Simmons can be a superstar even without a 3pt shot.
I can buy that, though I do regard Simmons as a great athlete.  At least that is not what he is known for (unlike Griffin).

Anyway I agree that Odom is a good comp too, and not an unflattering one either; Odom was a stud. Like both of those comps better than the LBJ/Magic comps that people throw around too lightly.
Simmons is very skilled.  And that takes athleticism.  But he isn't, in my mind, a great athlete in the same sense as Griffin.  By NBA standards, where they are all pretty much great athletes, I do not think of Simmons as an "athlete". 

So no, I do not view Simmons as a great athlete, which doesn't mean he can't be a great player.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:11:54 PM by droopdog7 »

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 06:47:07 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Simmons is very skilled.  And that takes athleticism.  But he isn't, in my mind, a great athlete in the same sense as Griffin.  By NBA standards, where they are all pretty much great athletes, I do not think of Griffin as an "athlete". 

So no, I do not view Simmons as a great athlete, which doesn't mean he can't be a great player.

Well, he might not be *quite* as good a leaper as Griffin, but he's ridiculously quick+fast for a dude who's 6'10 240. He'll have a physical advantage against every defender except maybe five guys in the entire NBA.