Author Topic: ingrams and simmons  (Read 1979 times)

ingrams and simmons
« on: May 06, 2016, 06:35:31 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
these kids are not strong enough to make any immediate impact,unless you got a pro body its highly unliely they will make a positive impact-towns okafor,jabari parker,smart,stanley,winslow johnson,myles turner,portis,hollis jeferson,justin anderson,randle,d'angelo,
i think these two will go into shock their first year- be bullied physically and exploited on defence
i don't believe kids should be one and done coming into league like james young-simmons can't shoot they will sag off making driving the bigs even harder-
if your going to play for boston defence is imperaitive a tough job so thin
-wiffed badly on porzingis but he is 7ft-3 and can shoot and has skills and is eastern european tough
sorry may have misjudged simmons weight but there is a big difference in man strength and boy strength-
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 07:35:16 AM by rollie mass »

Re: ingrams and simmons
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 06:48:35 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
these kids are not strong enough to make any immediate impact,unless you got a pro body its highly unliely they will make a positive impact-towns okafor,jabari parker,smart,stanley,winslow johnson,myles turner,portis,hollis jeferson,justin anderson,randle,d'angelo,
i think these two will go into shock their first year- be bullied physically and exploited on defence
i don't believe kids should be one and done coming into league like james young-simmons can't shoot they will sag off making driving the bigs even harder-
if your going to play for boston defence is imperaitive a tough job so thin
-wiffed badly on porzingis but he is 7ft-3 and can shoot and has skills and is eastern european tough

You can say those things about Ingram because he's very thin, but not Simmons. In his last reported measurement, approximately summer of 15, Simmons was measured at 6-10 (w/shoes) and weighed 240.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 07:01:29 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
LeBron looked 25 when he was 16

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 07:10:50 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Simmons can certainly have an immediate impact. As Eddie pointed out he's a monster.

Ben Simmons has:
-a heavier weight than Lebron at the same age
-2 inches taller than Lebron
-higher standing reach than Lebron
-higher vertical jump than Labron

Would not surprise me to see Simmons kill the athletics testing at the combine (if he goes).

He has got the potential to be one of the greatest players of all time and contribute right away.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 07:13:23 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
You can't regulate by age or how many years in college. It is simply different for all of these kids and if they aren't ready then it should affect their draft position. Look at all the superstars in the league that came right from high school.

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Ingram will take some time to develop. What I like about him, though, is that he started off pretty slowly at Duke and finished the season very strongly. The learning curve in the NBA will be more difficult to navigate but it's heartening to see that the kid seems comitted to learning and progressin with his game. He might have an uneventful rookie year but if he stays on the path he's on, he'll be a multiple all star.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 08:24:58 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
simmons has 8-3 standing reach and 6-11 wingspan-after wrongly lumping him with ingrams 7-3 wingspan and skinny
i went and read and watched as quickly as possible-and he is truly gifted but even at college level they backed off him at least 5 ft or more giving him trouble with driving--that lack of reach may hinder him a bit against nba length-i didn't fully appreciate his talent after people said he had no jumper and might be shooting with wrong hand-and then i thought hype, another lebron more hype and stopped watching-i apologise in making a judgement with lack of info and grouping him with ingram-

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2016, 09:29:13 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't worry about Simmons developing a jumper. He was basically getting to the rim at will in college, averaging better than 19 ppg on 56% shooting. Plus he was getting to the line 9 times a game which is amazing at the college level. Importantly, while at the FT line, he made 67% of those shots, comparable to Ingram (68%), Jaylen Brown (65%), and Kris Dunn (69%).

He's got good hands. He might never be a 3 point threat but I don't think he'll have a problem developing a reliable 16-18 footer.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2016, 10:11:27 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Ben Simmons is essentially a carbon copy of Blake Griffin.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Ingram and Durant, please.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2016, 12:53:35 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I don't worry about Simmons developing a jumper. He was basically getting to the rim at will in college, averaging better than 19 ppg on 56% shooting. Plus he was getting to the line 9 times a game which is amazing at the college level. Importantly, while at the FT line, he made 67% of those shots, comparable to Ingram (68%), Jaylen Brown (65%), and Kris Dunn (69%).

He's got good hands. He might never be a 3 point threat but I don't think he'll have a problem developing a reliable 16-18 footer.

My only issue with Simmons isn't his J. It's his attitude. He seems so nonchalant when I watched him, especially in a big game when they need him. He just pounds the ball at half court then tried to get a pick and roll, doesn't work, then he just gives it up. I want to see more fire out of him
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2016, 02:27:38 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

My only issue with Simmons isn't his J. It's his attitude. He seems so nonchalant when I watched him, especially in a big game when they need him. He just pounds the ball at half court then tried to get a pick and roll, doesn't work, then he just gives it up. I want to see more fire out of him

I'd have more worries about Simmons's attitude if I were drafting him to the Sixers or the Lakers. I think he'll be fine on the C's with a coach that will command his respect and a strong locker room culture.

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 02:54:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I don't see it.  Griffin is a better athlete and Simmons a better playmaker.  Neither is a good shooter however.

If I had to provide a comp, and people won't like it, it would be Lamar Odom.  They are extremely similar but that doesn't mean that Simmons can't be better.

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 04:09:58 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I don't see it.  Griffin is a better athlete and Simmons a better playmaker.  Neither is a good shooter however.

If I had to provide a comp, and people won't like it, it would be Lamar Odom.  They are extremely similar but that doesn't mean that Simmons can't be better.

I think Griffin is a pretty good comp. Both are very athletic + strong with average length. Griffin has bigger shoulders and more of a low post game, but it's not a dramatic difference; Griffin was 248lb at the combine and Simmons is listed at 240. Griffin is actually a pretty underrated passer/playmaker; maybe not as good as Simmons, but it's a strength of his. Obviously no comp is perfect but Griffin is a good example of how Simmons can be a superstar even without a 3pt shot.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 04:53:51 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I think Griffin is a pretty good comp. Both are very athletic + strong with average length. Griffin has bigger shoulders and more of a low post game, but it's not a dramatic difference; Griffin was 248lb at the combine and Simmons is listed at 240. Griffin is actually a pretty underrated passer/playmaker; maybe not as good as Simmons, but it's a strength of his. Obviously no comp is perfect but Griffin is a good example of how Simmons can be a superstar even without a 3pt shot.
I can buy that, though I do regard Simmons as a great athlete.  At least that is not what he is known for (unlike Griffin).

But I think Lamar Odom is a better comp.