Author Topic: Which NBA player are you most similar to?  (Read 20093 times)

Re: Which NBA player are you most similar to?
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2016, 12:35:15 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
IT to be honest.  We're similar heights, and I'm a scoring PG (at the old man pickup level now, of course) who drives aggressively, finishes well at the rim from creative angles, and can hit 3s off the catch and dribble.  I'm a lot streakier, though.  I can't finish with my left like him, or at all,  but I've got a step-back midrange bank shot that he can't touch, so 1-1 baby  ;)

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 12:40:10 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Handles are my calling card, so I'll humbly say a Chris Paul/Kyrie hybrid.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
IT to be honest.  We're similar heights, and I'm a scoring PG (at the old man pickup level now, of course) who drives aggressively, finishes well at the rim from creative angles, and can hit 3s off the catch and dribble.  I'm a lot streakier, though.  I can't finish with my left like him, or at all,  but I've got a step-back midrange bank shot that he can't touch, so 1-1 baby  ;)

Well, he's a lefty, so I hope he's better finishing at that hand than you are  ;D

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 02:12:20 AM »

Offline DavorCroatiaFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 97
Dave Cowens...lefty, white, all-around...:)
No1 Celtics fan in Croatia

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2016, 04:13:22 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
At 5'8" and with a rugby background, my job was as a guard who could pass, run all game and defend (except against hight). I could intimidate. It was best I didn't dribble or shoot too much, other guys did that. So I don't know if that is like anybody in the NBA?

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2016, 07:36:33 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Ok, take Spencer Hawes' game, right.. now put it in Isaiah Thomas' body. There you go.

But that's when I'm rusty (right now). When I practice I'm sort of a Marcus Smart/Avery Bradley hybrid. Better shooter than Marcus (relative to my competition), worse handles like Avery. Always a good defender.

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2016, 08:20:47 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Take pride in my defense, capable of guarding 1-5 on the courts that I play on. 6'2 with a 6'8 wingspan, I try to run my matchup ragged with long strides. Not afraid to mix it up, set good screens, but lately I've gone cold from the field. I can pass well and try to be a high steals and blocks guy. When I saw footage of Bobby Jones from the 70's and 80's I thought it was a pretty good fit.

More modern I'd probably say Andrei Kirilenko.

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2016, 09:47:31 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I'm kind of like a non athletic tony Allen who can't really jump. I'm 6'4 with a 6'10 wingspan, and I can't shoot. I pride myself on "containment" defense, namely making sure their shot is contested. Not big on steals, but once in awhile it's a block party out here. Can play bigger than my size on the boards due to good fundamentals on boxing out (grew early so I was always a undersized center or big forward at medium sized schools) and my nutty long arms.

My offensive game is mainly cutting hard to the basket. If I have a big size mismatch I can take it in the post and do post fades pretty well.

Mostly I'm used as a roll man on the wing because I can set hard screens. If I'm feeling good that day I can also dribble and pass pretty well. If we are up I like to do no look passes lol. Was addicted to rondo fakes for awhile.

That's interesting Future of Stevens. Do you buy into the theory that Really long arms make it harder to shoot from deep, but better for Rebounding and defense.

Well yea they as you know are better for rebounding and defense. I don't really know where I fall on the long arms debate. Most of my life I kind of used the big hands shooting argument to explain away my shooting woes. Interestingly enough, I could never shoot the deep ball, but my senior year of high school I shot 86% from the ft line. I don't really know where that fits into the long arm theory.

I think that shooting is mostly mental/repetition. I never developed a long range routine, because people saw the 6'0 6th grader, and believed the doctors who said he would be 6'11.  Well once I stopped growing in 8th grade, I never had developed any shooting skills, so I never got that shooting from deep foundation down to pump up the repetition.

So long story short I'm on the fence with it, I know of the correlation that exists, but I'm not sure it effects much KG.
#JKJB

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
A 6'4" Dikembe - with a decent mid-range J...especially from right top of key.

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2016, 11:42:38 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
This one is interesting haha... I'd say a mix of Durant, Lavine and Curry. I've got Curry's release and am very good at threes, which is my calling card- but I'm long and athletic like Durant (6'3 with 6'7 wingspan) and love playing in transition/dunking. Still, I love shooting threes so I'd say more Curry.

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2016, 12:04:37 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
At 5'8" and with a rugby background, my job was as a guard who could pass, run all game and defend (except against hight). I could intimidate. It was best I didn't dribble or shoot too much, other guys did that. So I don't know if that is like anybody in the NBA?

Kinda sounds like Dellavedova to me
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
If anyone is interested, pickup ball every weekday at noon. Boston Sports Club Woburn. Good group of guys that all play.

I'm most like Crowder probably. Im sort of a maniac running around but I'm def safe in that I don't foul hard (We are all weekend warriors who work). I can't shoot the 3 but I'll come off screens and drain 18 footers.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2016, 01:18:06 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
When I was younger my game was very similar to Shawn Marion except I am 6 feet and didn't quite have the hops he did. I am a great rebounder for my size and shot better than Marion even though my form was exactly the same as him.  My game changed when I was about 27 getting undercut hurting my back.  I lost some hops after that injury. Ever since then(I am 42 now) I pretty much am just a shooter. Game very similar to Peja Stojakovic.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2016, 01:44:52 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Tony Allen.
One heck of a defensive player (if I should say so myself ::)) and very subpar on the offensive end depending on how streaky I was ;D
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2016, 01:46:25 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Rodman...great rebounder and defender...can't shoot.

No wedding dresses!