Author Topic: Ira Winderman: Bosh will likely never play again  (Read 11354 times)

Re: Ira Winderman: Bosh will likely never play again
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2016, 04:34:54 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't understand why this is.

There is a clot filter that you can insert in the Inferior Vena Cava (blood vessel) which will catch any blood clots that travel up from the leg, were they to form. He certainly makes enough money and has access to the medical personnel to receive dopplers to monitor any potential blood clots that could form. It's not as though he HAS to be a risk for a Pulmonary Embolism when he's out their on the court. It's not ideal and he's more likely to develop blood clots in the future. But I don't know why he can't just receive another 6-12 months of blood thinner treatment to remove current blood clots and then return to the court.

I only know this because I had a filter put in place this past fall. I was in a car accident and ended up developing a pulmonary embolism and blood clots in my leg.

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2016, 04:37:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I have this feeling...  Bosh retires, Al Horford signs with the Heat

Doesn't work that way. They won't get his cap number off the books this summer.
If he chooses to retire or is forced to retire due to health reasons I think his cap number would come off the books.

Reggie Lewis died and his cap numbers didn't come off our books, but they are not the Celtics so yeah, most likely.

If he officially retired, his cap number comes off.  But that would have him giving up over $65 million, so he's not retiring.  As others in this thread have noted, if he's ruled medically unable to ever play again, Miami would gain relief beginning next February.  They would help them during next summer's bonanza, to be sure, but I think they'd rather have Bosh now and going forward.

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2016, 04:43:58 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
I don't understand why this is.

There is a clot filter that you can insert in the Inferior Vena Cava (blood vessel) which will catch any blood clots that travel up from the leg, were they to form. He certainly makes enough money and has access to the medical personnel to receive dopplers to monitor any potential blood clots that could form. It's not as though he HAS to be a risk for a Pulmonary Embolism when he's out their on the court. It's not ideal and he's more likely to develop blood clots in the future. But I don't know why he can't just receive another 6-12 months of blood thinner treatment to remove current blood clots and then return to the court.

I only know this because I had a filter put in place this past fall. I was in a car accident and ended up developing a pulmonary embolism and blood clots in my leg.

Very sorry to hear that you had to go through that. It must have been very difficult and frightening.

With Bosh, its possible he can have treatment to reduce the risk, but he's made plenty of money and won a ring, why risk his life at this point, regardless of how minimal the risk is? He's a young man still, with a family and a lot of money, he should enjoy his life and take the safe approach.

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
I have this feeling...  Bosh retires, Al Horford signs with the Heat

Doesn't work that way. They won't get his cap number off the books this summer.
If he chooses to retire or is forced to retire due to health reasons I think his cap number would come off the books.

Reggie Lewis died and his cap numbers didn't come off our books, but they are not the Celtics so yeah, most likely.

If he officially retired, his cap number comes off.  But that would have him giving up over $65 million, so he's not retiring.  As others in this thread have noted, if he's ruled medically unable to ever play again, Miami would gain relief beginning next February.  They would help them during next summer's bonanza, to be sure, but I think they'd rather have Bosh now and going forward.

Yep. The NBA changed that policy after they screwed over the Celtics following Reggie Lewis' death. Stern denied relief to the Celtics when they had asked.

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sounds like he is guessing. An informed guess but still a guess.

Too many are overlooking this. It's speculative, an opinion.

That's not how he operates though. If he's saying it it's likely because that's the information he's receiving. He's not one that offers reckless reporting simply to be first. This has been his track record throughout his tenure.

He didn't state it as a fact, he said it as an opinion.

And, he speculates all the time. He runs an "Ask Ira" column where literally all he does is speculate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2016, 04:52:49 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'd be surprised if Bosh didn't challenge that.  As recently as last week, he was posting public images about wanting to come back.  This week he got the union involved.

So I've been curious about why this might've happened (the conflicting reports about him coming back).  Were the Heat flatly refusing to consider playing Bosh again due to liability issues if he was to become severely impaired or die due to playing again?  Or just that the doctors' prognosis was much more dire than how Bosh felt about this?  It's going to be interesting when a little more info comes out once the Heat's season is over.

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2016, 06:13:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Terrible news if true. Bosh is a great player and a great man. His retirement at this age would be a travesty.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 06:50:39 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
This happening twice makes me think Ira is right.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 06:57:45 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 987
Very sad. Chris Bosh is one of my all-time favorite players on my list, and esp a non-Celtics player too...just up there with Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.

But he needs to retire and continue to live a good and normal life. He's a great man. Although I initially and strongly disagreed with his decision to defect Toronto for Miami to form that Big 3, he looks like the most likable guy in that entire team during their championship run.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2016, 07:13:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Unfortunate for Bosh, but I can't wait until the Heat are irrelevant again.

I think you'll be waiting awhile.  It's one of the best organizations out there.  They seem to be really good at getting guys to come there.  They aren't always great, but they never seem to spend more than a year or two in the lottery.

Maybe. I'm hoping Wade has only a couple good years left. Losing Bosh would certainly hurt them.

I guess quite a bit depends on the development of Winslow and Whiteside (and whether they even keep Whiteside). If, two years from now, Wade's cooked and Bosh is retired, and Winslow doesn't turn into much, I'm not sure why free agents would want to go there.

Then again, that's a lot of "ifs." A guy can hope, right? ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

That's not how he operates though. If he's saying it it's likely because that's the information he's receiving. He's not one that offers reckless reporting simply to be first. This has been his track record throughout his tenure.

He made sure to clarify that he wasn't reporting here.

Ira Winderman ‏@IraHeatBeat
I was asked if I thought Chris would play again. I said I do not. I did not report anything, just offered my thought

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2016, 07:52:42 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
If someone wants him I think he'll be back. I don't know the specifics of getting out of his deal with Miami tho.

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2016, 08:17:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If someone wants him I think he'll be back. I don't know the specifics of getting out of his deal with Miami tho.

Miami can get out of the deal if:

1.  A year from the original date of injury / disability (i.e., February 2017) Bosh still hasn't been medically cleared to play;

2.  An independent doctor chosen jointly by the NBA / Union agrees that Bosh can't play;

3.  The Heat waive Bosh;

4.  Bosh is unable to play 10+ games in any season for another team.

If Bosh plays 10 games, he then goes back on Miami's books, except they no longer have his services.

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2016, 08:42:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He made sure to clarify that he wasn't reporting here.

Ira Winderman ‏@IraHeatBeat
I was asked if I thought Chris would play again. I said I do not. I did not report anything, just offered my thought

Cool. I stand corrected, but it sounded very different when you hear the actual audio. Maybe he's backtracking a bit if the information wasn't intended to be disseminated at the moment.

Winderman-
Chris Bosh very much feels he can play. The Miami Heat very much feels there could be a catastrophic event. But here we are May 5th and Chris hasn't played or practiced since February 9th. This still could get ugly. This will still be a player that wants to come back to play and it still will be a team saying "one bad moment and we can have something catastrophic". Bottom line, two episodes like this and the Miami Heat believes there is a chance for a catastrophic moment once you reach this stage of treatment. If he retires he still gets every penny. I think Chris Bosh will never play another another basketball game. I think Chris Bosh is capable of doing it. I believe there is too much of a risk to do it, and he also has 5 kids at home. I hope Chris comes to his senses, that we love him as a player, but we love him as a person also. Privately everyone (team and players) is really scared about his health.

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2016, 09:21:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wouldn't be surprised if Ira Winderman has been told by some Miami team official that the Heat will never allow Bosh to play again.  Maybe he has been told that they would rather keep him under contract and refuse to play him than let him give up the rest of the money so he can sign elsewhere.  Winderman obviously can't say that if it's true, but it is possible.

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference