Author Topic: Frank Vogel will not return  (Read 6456 times)

Re: Frank Vogel will not return
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 11:55:24 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I expect McHale rumors, but I don't think that's necessarily where Bird is going.  He even said it wouldn't happen.

Bird seems to want more smallball, pace and space offense.  Vogel doesn't seem to be a good fit for that direction.  I could see the Pavers looking at people like Ettore Messina or Jay Larranaga.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Sacramento should get on the phone to him immediately.  He'd be a good fit with that roster.
That might be a good fit for the Kings but that would be a bad fit for Vogel. He's done well enough to not have to deal with a player like Cousins. Unless the money is right I think Vogel goes somewhere else.

Will Cousins be there though? Vogel wouldn't be a bad choice to build a young roster

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 11:56:41 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Bird also believes that coaches have a limit on how long they can be on one bench before the players need a new voice.

That's what he thought as a player.

That's what he did as a coach.

Is it much of a surprise at this point?
Good point.

Also, I didn't watch many Pacers games but I know Bird was very specific about how he wanted George to be a stretch four. Did he play enough minutes at the four? Was he put into the right spots at the four? Maybe Bird has a different idea on how he wants George to be playing then Vogel did.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
Obviously I think very highly of Larry Legend but like many of you I find the ending to Vogel's time in Indiana ended very odd. Larry kind of threw him under the bus by saying he begged for his job. What was the purpose of letting that info out?

I hope Vogel goes out West. Do not want to see him take over NY.
ok fine

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 11:59:12 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
Sacramento should get on the phone to him immediately.  He'd be a good fit with that roster.
That might be a good fit for the Kings but that would be a bad fit for Vogel. He's done well enough to not have to deal with a player like Cousins. Unless the money is right I think Vogel goes somewhere else.

Will Cousins be there though? Vogel wouldn't be a bad choice to build a young roster
Hes a top level coach so he probably would be good in a lot of situations. I just can't see him settling on the Kings unless the money is great.

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Is Frank Vogel a Tier 1 coach in today's NBA? I think Tier 2 is more appropriate. Above average. Not premium. Been in Indy a long time. Not much movement or signs of upside (yes, i know their roster is less than perfect). Scoring still an issue.

Paul George is too good to waste his prime... time for a new voice.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:14:46 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 12:26:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Cousins wants to play for somebody competent and invested.  He had no problems playing with Mike Malone.  There was a ton of mutual respect there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 12:31:34 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Cousins wants to play for somebody competent and invested.  He had no problems playing with Mike Malone.  There was a ton of mutual respect there.
I can actually see McHale coaching Cousins and Rondo in Sacto. Cousins would at least listen to McHale's advice and wants to win, unlike Dwight in Houston.

Also, Vlade seems to value certain guys he played against.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford

Cousins will like any coach who lets him act immature and get away with acting like a child.

Not to mention Karl is a very competent coach but he didn't let Cousins get away with acting like a child. Unfortunately for Karl, ownership took Cousins side just like they always do.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 12:39:16 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Cousins will like any coach who lets him act immature and get away with acting like a child.

Not to mention Karl is a very competent coach but he didn't let Cousins get away with acting like a child. Unfortunately for Karl, ownership took Cousins side just like they always do.

Mike Malone was a very tough and well-respected coach.  Are you not familiar with him?  He certainly didn't enable Cousins.

Karl wasn't willing to put in any work on the sideline.  He didn't teach, he didn't adapt, he didn't even preach defense.  He was checked out, there only to get paid.  Nobody is respecting a guy like that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 12:40:43 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I expect Larry to already have a list of ppl he is interested in and to have initiated contacts.

We can only judge this decision after we know who the replacement is.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 12:47:22 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford

Mike Malone was a very tough and well-respected coach.  Are you not familiar with him?  He certainly didn't enable Cousins.

Karl wasn't willing to put in any work on the sideline.  He didn't teach, he didn't adapt, he didn't even preach defense.  He was checked out, there only to get paid.  Nobody is respecting a guy like that.
Those are all assumptions.

Karl has been on the record saying teammates wanted Cousins to be accountable. Karl tried but Ownership squashed all of Karl's attempts.

Malone went to battle for Cousins enabling him. Maybe he got the most out of his bratty star by going with the craziness but that didn't work out all the great either.

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 12:48:47 PM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
I expect Larry to already have a list of ppl he is interested in and to have initiated contacts.

We can only judge this decision after we know who the replacement is.
He supposedly has known he wanted a new coach since the all star break.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 01:24:29 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Hm perhaps George Karl? Byronn Scott? Lol

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Vogel is a good coach. Only explanation is that the organization has a different vision for how they want the team to play.

Good luck with that, I say.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain