Author Topic: Would We Take Back Rondo If It Meant Getting Cousins?  (Read 4734 times)

Would We Take Back Rondo If It Meant Getting Cousins?
« on: May 05, 2016, 07:12:21 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I for one really want Cousins on our team despite his baggage because he is such a good player and could lure Durant or another star.

Cousins is on record loving Rondo because he's a pass first PG who let's Cousins get his (and he apparently didn't like playing with IT because IT is more of a score first PG).

Now...what if we lined up a trade for Cousins but we had to sign Rondo as a FA to get Cousins on board (thus relegating IT back to his 6th man role).

Would Danny do this?

Would any of you guys do this?

Just a thought...

Re: Would We Take Back Rondo If It Meant Getting Cousins?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 08:02:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think Danny would.  Let's say Rondo cost $15 million.  That means Cousins is no longer a bargain; instead of $13 million his effective cost is now $28 million.  Plus, it makes Stevens' job that much harder, because he'd have a starting PG who in no way fits what Stevens wants to do on offense. 

I love Cousins, but I wouldn't take him at the price of sacrificing our coach, hurting our offense and defense (neither of which Rondo helps), and limiting our financial flexibility.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 08:05:19 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
NO

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 08:08:43 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Unequivocally NO CHANCE IN HELL.

I would not take either of those guys on the team.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 08:22:53 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't think Danny would.  Let's say Rondo cost $15 million.  That means Cousins is no longer a bargain; instead of $13 million his effective cost is now $28 million.  Plus, it makes Stevens' job that much harder, because he'd have a starting PG who in no way fits what Stevens wants to do on offense. 

I love Cousins, but I wouldn't take him at the price of sacrificing our coach, hurting our offense and defense (neither of which Rondo helps), and limiting our financial flexibility.

Co-sign.

Rondo is a terrible fit for this team, offense, defense and that locker room attitude, and would thus be a deal-breaker.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 08:54:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Why would anyone assume Rondo would start over Thomas or that Rondo would get 15 million a year?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 08:55:27 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23

Most of those things apply to Cousins.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 08:56:14 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
Why would anyone assume Rondo would start over Thomas or that Rondo would get 15 million a year?
I agree. I'd give him 8-9 to play back up point.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 08:59:17 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
Rondo was my favorite player on the Cs until his final season. That said, I wouldn't want him on this team unless him coming back guaranteed us getting Cousins, which in turn would guarantee us getting Durant. In such a scenario I think Rondo would fit well on the offensive end, anyways...and IT would be great as a 6th man / with the second unit.

I'm just taking into account what Cousins may want as we don't want him coming here as an unhappy camper - that's for sure.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 09:06:39 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
Rondo was my favorite player on the Cs until his final season. That said, I wouldn't want him on this team unless him coming back guaranteed us getting Cousins, which in turn would guarantee us getting Durant. In such a scenario I think Rondo would fit well on the offensive end, anyways...and IT would be great as a 6th man / with the second unit.

I'm just taking into account what Cousins may want as we don't want him coming here as an unhappy camper - that's for sure.
Right but do we really want a player(Demarcus) that we have to worry about upsetting all the time? He's just very immature and I think he eventually becomes a problem no matter what you do to try to make him happy.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 09:11:28 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm not sure I want a deal here . So much depends on what we give up. But great coaches can coach more than one style. Fitting a certain system should not be a trade killer in my opinion in EVERY case is what I'm saying. This may be a bad idea. But a coach should be able to adjust.

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 09:18:04 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Well, the locker room dynamics would be extremely complicated. Rondo + Cousins are not easy to integrate already, and then you have Cousins effectively saying that he won't play with IT... so IT has to come off the bench? He will not like that. Even still, I think the answer is "yes". Cousins is exceptionally talented, and winning has a tendency to smooth over locker room issues. Rondo is still a good player. Stevens could make it work.

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 09:20:59 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Rondo is a free agent, so there is no telling if he would even want to come here.

Regardless, I doubt Cousins would have a problem coming here playing with IT4.  Thomas has (I think) matured a lot since his days in Sacramento.  He seems to be a much wiser player, and far more unselfish.  I think he'd be perfectly happy distributing more passes to DMC if it would help the team win.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 09:26:32 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Because Rondo is a free agent coming off a season where he played 72 games (showing that his health is no longer a major concern) and averaged 12 points, 12 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals.

When Rondo is putting up numbers like that it's pretty hard to argue that he's not worthy of a max deal, especially when the cap is going up to $89M and almost every team in the league has money to make a max offer. 

If Rondo can get a max contract and starting role from somebody (and I'm sure he will), then why on earth would he take a half / third of that to be a backup PG for the Celtics?

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 09:41:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Because Rondo is a free agent coming off a season where he played 72 games (showing that his health is no longer a major concern) and averaged 12 points, 12 assists, 6 rebounds and 2 steals.

When Rondo is putting up numbers like that it's pretty hard to argue that he's not worthy of a max deal, especially when the cap is going up to $89M and almost every team in the league has money to make a max offer. 

If Rondo can get a max contract and starting role from somebody (and I'm sure he will), then why on earth would he take a half / third of that to be a backup PG for the Celtics?

Rondo is not getting a max contract from anyone. That ship has sailed. Poor shooters cannot be rewarded in this era.