Author Topic: Envisioning Okafor, Horford Frontcourt pairing.  (Read 6586 times)

Re: Envisioning Okafor, Horford Frontcourt pairing.
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2016, 06:09:25 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Obviously the kid's got some potential, but I'm not sold on Okafor.  I'd rather take our chances with the Brooklyn lotto pick than trade it for Jah.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2016, 06:09:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Can anyone explain to me how this guy is as slow as people are saying after watching these highlights? That's not Brook Lopez out there. There is def potential to grow. He's going to be a perennial all star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbRwBeO70SY

I'm not really sure what you are trying to show with this. I watched a minute of this and it is mostly him hitting jumpers and some pretty methodical drives. They are nice plays for sure, but I don't get how this relates to foot speed at all....

The place to look for foot speed is when goes into his size up, drop step and spin moves in the post.  He seems to have the natural instincts of a scorer, a la Paul Pierce.  Not exceptionally quick, but adept at making use of quick changes in speed to get the advantage on the opponent.  What he has is superlative size, hands, and body control. 

Compare this to a guy like Brook who lumbers and always moves in slow motion, but is just so big and skilled that opponents have trouble stopping him anyway.

This.

I posted this to refer to Chambers ludicrous comments. As you can see, he is much more than just a simple post up scorer as well.

I mean. I think Brook was probably faster multiple foot surgeries and 7 years ago right? I don't really get why people are so anxious to proclaim Okafor will be a long time star. As others have stated, there have been a large number of rookies that have put up really solid numbers on terrible teams as rookies. Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings and to a lesser extent, MCW stand out in fairly recent times for doing so. I think it is so hard to say how good he will be when he is surrounded by actual NBA players and not playing in blowouts. This could go either way, maybe guards getting him in better position and having better shooters around him will turn him into an even more dominant force. Maybe playing on a better and a lot less blowouts he ends up with less shots, playing against more serious defense and his numbers end up dropping. I really think it could go either way.

I wish one thing we could all agree on is the trade for Okafor threads are out of control here. We average like 4-5 a month and at various times have had 3 of them in the top 10 recent topics. It is not like there is big news on this guy that requires new threads. He actually has not played basketball in 3 months. Maybe we can just sticky one of these threads and stop the insanity of people arguing about him forever.

You might want to watch those Rookie Brook Lopez highlights and compare with Okafor. It's not even close. Okafor is a lot more agile.

Also, hard to compare with Jennings and MCW since they both shot terribly while Okafor was very efficient. I honestly don't know what happened to Tyreke Evans. He was great his rookie year and looked great as well. That's a rare example. The injury is concerning for sure, but this the common argument on this thread has been about Okafor's ability and skills, not if he is durable.

I wasn't trying to imply that Brook was as fast as Okafor as a rookie, just that he is definitely a lot more methodical now (most people's frame of reference) than he was as a rookie and prior to many foot surgeries. I also don't get why people can't acknowledge that the 76ers won 10 games
all year (which is historically bad and among the worst seasons in NBA history). They also had many many blowout losses. For these two things combined it meant Okafor was playing in a lot of games that amounted to exhibitions with very little intensity and also spent more time than the average player going against backups. How much do you think his efficiency would go down if he was playing against the Hawks, Hornets, Heat or Celtics in a playoff series? Again he could be great, and I wouldn't be upset if we ended up with him on the Celtics, but I am so tired of people throwing out his statistics like they prove something.  I also really highly doubt the Celtics end up with him this offseason so the fascination and amount of threads on him remains absurd.

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2016, 06:11:53 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Take Okafor with the Brooklyn pick between 3-5 and have a Center for the next 10 yrs.

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I would definitely be much more excited at the prospect of trading for Okafor if it was 2000.

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2016, 06:34:53 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I really don't like one-way offensive centers. Give me a two-way guy like Poeltl any day over a defensive liability like Okafor. And he doesn't even space the floor!

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2016, 03:02:27 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Okafor has better range than Poeltl.