Author Topic: Envisioning Okafor, Horford Frontcourt pairing.  (Read 6582 times)

Re: Envisioning Okafor, Horford Frontcourt pairing.
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 09:56:05 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I have a hard time deciding on Okafor. My buddy who is usually right thinks Okafor is a lock to be a stud. I'm just not sure he's going to be anything more then the next Al Jefferson. Great offense but terrible defense which negates every great thing he does on offense.

At least you're right about Jefferson. He never could guard a chair, but now he adds in a total refusal to run the floor as well.

And he's what, 13 years older than Okafor.

Ainge may not know how to draft, but he's exactly right about Okafor.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 09:57:38 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I'd make that move and laugh all the way to the bank.

Okafor's first year is wildly taken out of context on this board. His feet are more than good enough to defend decently in this league, and he's going to grow into a big-time scorer.

He would be a huge addition to a club that cannot shoot a lick.

hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha

TP for the laugh :)

Likewise. You have no idea what you're looking at with Okafor. None.

I have eyes.  I can see.

I've watched Okafor move.  He's one of the slowest players I have EVER seen in the NBA. He moves like Patrick Ewing did when he was 38 years old.  He almost (emphasis on 'almost') makes Jared Sullinger look mobile.

You seem to think I'm only criticise his movement because I'm reading what others are saying and rolling with it.  No.  I've watched him.  I've seen him move...or at least I've seen him TRY to move.  There is no chance in hell he will ever be an even competent overall defensive player.

Maybe one day he might develop into a competent one-on-one post defender - maybe.  But his overall defence will never become anything approaching tolerable.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 10:02:20 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'd get them checked.

And soon.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 10:10:01 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I'd get them checked.

And soon.

Funny - seems like just about every scouting report and every piece of subjective feedback from just about every other person on earth sees the same thing that I do.  That Okafor lacks the mobility to be a good (or even above average) NBA defender.

I guess everybody on has bad eyes but you, huh?  ;)

Anyhow I am just teasing and don't mean any offence with the smart-alec comments, so I will back off now and we can agree to disagree regarding Okafor.  I do hope you didn't take any offence by my posts and if so I do apologise :)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 10:28:39 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I think okafor is such an interesting case to watch because of the dichotomy in his game. Somehow he has one of the best foot speeds in his half court offensive game in the nba, yet he is one of the slowest defensive centers in the league.

Could it be because he has no idea how to position himself, so even subconsciously he is hesitant to move quickly? Or is it just a genuine lack of effort?
#JKJB

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 10:31:47 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I guess I would be fine with both. I like Okafor and I like Horford, but I really don't like playing them together. The NBA is trending small and I think that combo is too slow to get out to 3 point shooters against teams with good spacing.

However, if we are bringing Okafor off the bench and surrounding him with 4 shooters at all times then we are in business.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 10:44:09 AM »

Offline DinoGanga

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 31
Even if you didn't like Okafor, wouldn't you want to upgrade your asset from the 3rd pick to Okafor? I feel that Okafor is the better trade chip. If I'm Sacramento, I'd rather have Okafor and (filler) than the 3rd pick (and filler)for Cousins.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Washington Wizards

PG: Darren Collison / Elfrid Payton / Tim Frazier
SG: Avery Bradley / Seth Curry
SF: Jae Crowder / Shaun Kilpatrick / Marcus Thornton
PF: LeBron James / Derrick Williams / JJ Hickson
C: Jusuf Nurkic / Meyers Leonard / Nikola Pekovic

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
Even if you didn't like Okafor, wouldn't you want to upgrade your asset from the 3rd pick to Okafor? I feel that Okafor is the better trade chip. If I'm Sacramento, I'd rather have Okafor and (filler) than the 3rd pick (and filler)for Cousins.

I wouldn't.

I'd take the 3rd pick over Okafor any day.  In fact I'd even take the 5th pick over okafor.  After Simmons and Ingram there are at least around 3-4 guys in this draft who i would take over Okafor.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
I would trade any draft pick not named Ben Simmons, for Okafor. If I were Ainge this would be my #1 target to be in a Celtic uniform next year.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 12:56:37 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
envision myself puking if / when that's executed.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 01:02:06 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I guess I would be fine with both. I like Okafor and I like Horford, but I really don't like playing them together. The NBA is trending small and I think that combo is too slow to get out to 3 point shooters against teams with good spacing.

However, if we are bringing Okafor off the bench and surrounding him with 4 shooters at all times then we are in business.

Hmmmm. You don't pay the price to get Okafor and put him on the bench. I agree with the former. I like both, but together seems iffy.
DKC Suns

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 01:27:03 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm just not sure he's going to be anything more then the next Al Jefferson.

What is wrong with getting a young Al Jeff?

What makes you think Bender, Heild, Brown... will be any better?

I am in for #3 plus not much more for Okafor, no interest in Horford.  Say #3 and Young? great, sign me up.

And that is not because I think Okafor is the next coming of Duncan or who ever.  i just think he is solid and has proven it in the NBA.  You never know with draft picks.  You know a whole lot more about Okafor. You know Okafor's real NBA floor, and he has plenty of ceiling.  With draft picks, you know their projected floor but your really don't know anything for sure relative to the NBA.

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 01:29:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I like it. Okafor seems like he needs an on court mentor, and Horford needs to be paired with a big man who can focus on the inside work so that Horford can focus on what he does best, especially as he ages.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 01:33:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So you have a horrible defensive player with a completely one dimensional offensive game (Okafor), and an overglorified role player whos average on defense and completely incapable of scoring unless he's wide open (Horford).

One is an immature head case, and the other is on the decline, and both move like they're in quicksand.

Wow, what a disaster.

I'm sorry, but all I can say to this is, "LOL"
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 01:39:32 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Bob Cousy has always said "you have to be greedy in this game". By moving Bradley,we would have enough cap room to sign both Durant and Horford plus trade for Okafor with the Brooklyn pick. This is, of course, dependent on whether Okafor and Horford are enough to attract Durant. Sullinger, Zeller, Turner, Jerebko and Johnson would also no longer be Celtics.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 01:46:53 PM by Irish Stew »