Author Topic: Should Jerebko start next season?  (Read 2809 times)

Re: Should Jerebko start next season?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 11:45:04 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If the C's don't have a better option than Jerebko next year this offseason will have been a bad one.

This is my exact thinking.
co-signed. 

JJ is fine as an end-of-bench player but if he's getting big minutes for us next year we've had a lousy offseason.  if he's recording a lot of DNP-CDs next year or playing elsewhere, we'll be doing well (or at least better)

by the way, have a TP just to get you to 800.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 12:03:22 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I just never understand the point of these threads.

The draft lottery hasn't happened yet. The draft hasn't happened yet. NBA FA hasn't happened yet. Trades that happen during periods haven't happened yet. Ainge has more assets and flexibility than arguably anyone, so change is highly likely.

Will Jerebko be on the team next year? Possible he won't due to signings or trades.

When all these things occur, if a better player at the 4 is is on the roster, he shouldn't. If there is, he should. But it's like 6 months away. Go take up badminton or something and just wait for things to play out.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 12:09:55 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
If JJ is starting next season, it means that something went horribly, horribly wrong this offseason.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
If JJ is starting next season, it means that something went horribly, horribly wrong this offseason.

Like what? We signed Sullinger back? Or we think Olynyk is better than he is?

What if the Cs trade for Butler, sign Whiteside, and draft Ingram? Who should start at the 4 in the fall? And would you consider it a horrible, horrible offseason?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Like what? We signed Sullinger back? Or we think Olynyk is better than he is?

What if the Cs trade for Butler, sign Whiteside, and draft Ingram? Who should start at the 4 in the fall? And would you consider it a horrible, horrible offseason?
there's no way we trade for Butler and keep a pick high enough to get Ingram.

That aside, if we trade for Butler, sign Whiteside and the best we can do for a starting PF is to play Jerebko, we're not going to go far because that means our frontcourt's pretty thin.

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 12:43:42 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

How can you be so sure?

Who has a better package to offer for Butler than Crowder, Smart, the 2016 Dallas pick, the Philly 2016 2nd, and the Nets 2018 pick?

Or Crowder, Bradley, this year's Philly 2nd, and either the right to swap picks with the Nets in 2017, or their 2018 pick?

Answer: no one. And Ainge is a pretty smart guy about this stuff. He understands that Chicago won't wanna go through a full-scale tear down / rebuild. He understands leverage, and the overall marketplace. But, if you want to go there...

What if the Cs trade this year's Nets pick (call it the 6th pick), Bradley and Crowder for Butler, then sign Whiteside and Durant to max deals? Would that be a horrible, horrible offseason? And is possible JJ might start in that line-up?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 12:49:24 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Jerebko? Hell No.

I mean, he did ok for an undermanned celtics team in the playoffs, but we got crushed by a mediocre team.

If we come out of this summer with any need to start Jerebko, then it was a terrible offseason. He's a decent 8-10th man at best.
I concur. TP
Me three!  *phew*, I was wondering if the world had gone crazy.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 01:04:30 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I'd rather have a healthy KO start, maybe even both of them if the off season is horrendous and Amir is cut for some reason.

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 01:06:17 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Jerebko? Hell No.

I mean, he did ok for an undermanned celtics team in the playoffs, but we got crushed by a mediocre team.

If we come out of this summer with any need to start Jerebko, then it was a terrible offseason. He's a decent 8-10th man at best.

Agree.  I really like him as a bench stretch 4.  But we should be looking to upgrade the starting 4 position this summer.  If we emerge on the other side and Jerebko is our best option, then our offseason probably didn't go so well.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'd rather have a healthy KO start, maybe even both of them if the off season is horrendous and Amir is cut for some reason.
I knew it was coming. I was waiting patiently for it and sure enough here it is, the requisite:

"Why have JJ start when KO could start?" post.

My answer to either of them starting is, sorry, but they are both career bench role players. They might be okay for short spurts of spot starting but ultimately, if they are starting for the season, they will hurt the team. Its great to have their unique skills coming off the bench but I don't see either being starters material or even 24+ MPG material.

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'll be upset if he is.  I echo others here, if that is what we come out of the summer with as a best option, that's disappointing.

How can you be so sure?

Who has a better package to offer for Butler than Crowder, Smart, the 2016 Dallas pick, the Philly 2016 2nd, and the Nets 2018 pick?

Or Crowder, Bradley, this year's Philly 2nd, and either the right to swap picks with the Nets in 2017, or their 2018 pick?

Just because no one else can offer better, which I doubt, that doesn't mean Chicago would make a deal with Boston.  The likely scenario is Chicago keeps Butler, anyway.

But if we did manage to acquire Butler without giving up Brooklyn's pick this year, it would require the swap right's in 2017 and the pick outright in 2018 from the Nets, plus a bunch of other assets (Dallas pick, Smart, Rozier, other picks, ect.).  Even then, I think Chicago says no.

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 01:24:06 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Jerebko? Hell No.

Agree.  I really like him as a bench stretch 4.  But we should be looking to upgrade the starting 4 position this summer.  If we emerge on the other side and Jerebko is our best option, then our offseason probably didn't go so well.

Let's say the big man rotation looks like Al Horford, Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, Kelly Olynyk, Jordan Mickey, and some rookie taken with a non-Nets first.

Based on fit, would it make some sense to start JJ over Amir next to Horford?  Would it make even more sense if the Celtics signed a non-shooting center like Whiteside or Howard instead of Horford?  In the dream scenario of signing Durant and Horford, would it make more sense to start Jerebko at the 4 and bring Crowder off the bench instead of starting Durant at PF?  And that's really what my question is: are there starting big men acquisitions where it makes more sense to start Jerebko next to the new guy instead of Johnson or Olynyk or even a returning Sullinger?

Jerebko is a role player whose minutes are highly dependent on what the team needs.  I can see situations where what the team might need to start a power forward who can shoot well enough to spread the floor and play defense well enough to switch onto a wing when defending the pick and roll.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I knew it was coming. I was waiting patiently for it and sure enough here it is, the requisite:

"Why have JJ start when KO could start?" post.

My answer to either of them starting is, sorry, but they are both career bench role players. They might be okay for short spurts of spot starting but ultimately, if they are starting for the season, they will hurt the team. Its great to have their unique skills coming off the bench but I don't see either being starters material or even 24+ MPG material.
Would have to agree with you on that one. My post is in reference to that we loose Sully in free agency, and would have to pick between JJ, KO, and Mickey. Out of those 3, KO seems like the most favorable.

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2016, 01:35:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If our front court is basically the same headed into next season - which would be a disaster - then yes, Jerebko and Amir should be the starters.

In any case, I would say that Brad should put Amir and Jerebko out there together as the frontcourt much more often than he did this past season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2016, 02:03:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I like Jerebko as a starter. I think he should be starting somewhere in the league. He would be a below average starter (bottom third) but nice role player (4th or preferably 5th starter) material. I rate Jerebko as a better two-way player than than a few starting PFs around the league right now. I would take Jerebko as a starting PF over Scola, Marvin Williams, Randle / Nance, Noel, KG, Ilyasova. I prefer Jerebko to Faried. Maybe over Amir depending on who the other big man is. Comparable to Aminu.