Author Topic: Jimmy Butler asking price to be high ( Rumor)  (Read 3842 times)

Jimmy Butler asking price to be high ( Rumor)
« on: May 04, 2016, 05:53:28 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
A league source tells CSNNE.com that the Bulls, while still open to listening to offers for Butler, are telling teams that are inquiring about his availability that their plan for now is to keep him in the fold. And while there was some thought that a top-3 pick coupled with a few decent players might be enough to entice the Bulls to pull the trigger on a deal to trade Butler, CSNNE.com has been told such an offer would have to include at least one "legitimate, NBA starter" for the Bulls to even possibly consider trading him. "And that might be a stretch," the source indicated.

Sounds like it would take one of AB/Crowder , with Smart and the brk pick

do you do it ?

Re: Jimmy Butler asking price to be high ( Rumor)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 05:58:49 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
No, too steep. I think  there is better value elsewhere in Cousins or Gasol, possibly even Love

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Asking price for Butler should be high. He's a great 2-way player.

This accentuates the importance of ping-pong balls on May 17.  A huge day for the Cs.   A little luck on that day will be gigantic in terms of creating options.

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Eh. Sounds like typical "team executive" talk.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Yeah, typical posturing has started early this offseason.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 06:13:11 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
That's nice, but our offer will remain the same. 

And it should, considering we'll be on every team's short list to deal with.

Ingredients:
Choose one of:  AB, Crowder, Smart
Choose one of:  BKL 16' or BKL 18'
Add salary or youth to your liking:  Olynyk, Amir, Rozier, 2nd rounders

In our quest for two impact players, my guess is that one will come from the above deal & the other through free agency.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:14:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A league source tells CSNNE.com that the Bulls, while still open to listening to offers for Butler, are telling teams that are inquiring about his availability that their plan for now is to keep him in the fold. And while there was some thought that a top-3 pick coupled with a few decent players might be enough to entice the Bulls to pull the trigger on a deal to trade Butler, CSNNE.com has been told such an offer would have to include at least one "legitimate, NBA starter" for the Bulls to even possibly consider trading him. "And that might be a stretch," the source indicated.

do you do it ?

That an uncreative way to look at it.  Why not keep Bradley and Crowder and use some of those lesser firsts to acquire a legit starter to flip to Chicago?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:15:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
I'll say this - it's going to be awfully tough for any team in a situation like Chicago or Sacramento to pass up a top-2 pick in this draft.

That being said, I'd give up our Brooklyn pick and ONE of Crowder, Bradley, or Smart for Butler, but not two of them. I don't think someone like Butler moves the needle enough for us to justify giving up two of those guys and a high pick. I've consistently said that Crowder, Rozier, and the Brooklyn pick is fair value for him, and I'm sticking to it.

Now someone like Cousins might be different. Not only is he arguably the best center in the game, he fits much more of the criteria that we're lacking and need than does Butler - overall scoring, size, rebounding, post presence, and a position of need.

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:15:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I'm shocked

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 06:19:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If that is high posturing, my guess is they would settle for less. Bradley and a #3 or #4 pick might do it and given how I feel regarding anyone in this draft besides Simmons and Ingram, I would be okay with that trade.

A Thomas/Butler/Crowder starting 1,2,3 would be one of the better starting and younger elite guard wing combos in the league and the Celtics would still have Smart and Rozier, two versatile guards coming off the bench.

That would leave Ainge with just needing to upgrade a poor frontcourt to turn this team into a contender.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 06:24:56 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

do you do it ?

That an uncreative way to look at it.  Why not keep Bradley and Crowder and use some of those lesser firsts to acquire a legit starter to flip to Chicago?

Just doing a 3 team trade is probably the best way to handle it in my opinion. Whatever else Chicago wants that we don't have (for example, a "starter", even though Jae and AB are starters), they can get from the third team.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 06:27:58 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If we got the second pick and Simmons was gone, I'd do Bradley + 2nd/Ingram + Dallas for him.  I'd give up Bradley because he just became redundant and I'd give up Dallas because we don't have the space for that pick, anyways.  Ingram is a lot to give up, but it should be fine.

What is troubling though is that nobody on our team could still shoot.  We need shooters so bad

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:34:47 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If we got the second pick and Simmons was gone, I'd do Bradley + 2nd/Ingram + Dallas for him.  I'd give up Bradley because he just became redundant and I'd give up Dallas because we don't have the space for that pick, anyways.  Ingram is a lot to give up, but it should be fine.

What is troubling though is that nobody on our team could still shoot.  We need shooters so bad

Saying Bradley becomes redundant, then saying the team needs shooters doesn't make sense.  Replacing Bradley with Butler creates the same spacing issues we saw in the playoffs.  Bringing in Al Horford and starting Jerebko next to him would compensate for having Butler and Crowder on the floor together.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:42:41 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yup, it's all posturing at this stage, no reason for CHI to bid against themselves right now.

That said, I disagree with us (as fans) drawing lines in the sand either.  Getting Butler here would make it much more interesting for other stars to come here.  Would you give up on that just because you won't throw a 2nd starter into the deal?  Remember, that 2nd starter is just a good NBA player, not a star.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:49:46 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

Saying Bradley becomes redundant, then saying the team needs shooters doesn't make sense.  Replacing Bradley with Butler creates the same spacing issues we saw in the playoffs.  Bringing in Al Horford and starting Jerebko next to him would compensate for having Butler and Crowder on the floor together.

I see Crowder and Butler as ultimately redundant, which is why I'd gladly give him up in the trade over Bradley. You also have to think about Bradley's usefulness on the top PGs of the league, specifically his ability to limit the Currys, Parkers, and Irvings of the world if you ever want to become true title contenders.

Ideally, you'd also sign another scorer and shooter to play the 4 (Durant) and a defensive-oriented 5 that can also spread the floor (Horford), which would allow you to start Smart over IT to have IT's scoring and playmaking on the bench. A lineup of Smart, Bradley, Butler, Durant, and Horford with IT, KO, Mickey, and others off the bench would be absolutely deadly.

If you get the first domino to fall in a Butler trade, you just convince Durant and Horford to team up and you've got your title contender! I'd even settle for the cheaper Noah if Horford chooses the Hawks over the C's.