Author Topic: Ingram is skinny. Is that bad?  (Read 4283 times)

Ingram is skinny. Is that bad?
« on: May 04, 2016, 04:47:29 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I think Brandon Ingram needs to gain some weight (just like every other person that's ever seen a picture of him) but he's only 18 so I have no worries that it'll happen. I also don't think I care much.

George Gervin was skinny and he had a pretty decent career. Reggie Miller was skinny and he wound up OK. Kevin Durant is still pretty skinny and had a great bounce-back season this year. Kareem and KG are guys who played different positions but they were both skinny and it didn't seem to bother them.

It seems like Ingram's weight is one of the first couple of things I hear when I hear people talk about him but there's a pretty good history of skinny NBA players having success.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: Ingram is skinny. Is that bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 04:57:48 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
We have no need for a rail-thin skinny small forward like Ingram.

Let's just hope we can sign Durant ;)
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 04:58:25 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Where's the sarcasm font on this thing
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:02:22 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Where's the sarcasm font on this thing
No need. tp
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 05:28:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I think Brandon Ingram needs to gain some weight (just like every other person that's ever seen a picture of him) but he's only 18 so I have no worries that it'll happen. I also don't think I care much.

George Gervin was skinny and he had a pretty decent career. Reggie Miller was skinny and he wound up OK. Kevin Durant is still pretty skinny and had a great bounce-back season this year. Kareem and KG are guys who played different positions but they were both skinny and it didn't seem to bother them.

It seems like Ingram's weight is one of the first couple of things I hear when I hear people talk about him but there's a pretty good history of skinny NBA players having success.

I'm not that familiar with Gervin's frame/game, but i don't think the competition wa as physical then as it is now.

KG and Reggie were both quite tough physical despite their skinny frames - Ingram comes across a bit soft in personality by comparison.

KG was also an elite athlete.  Ingram is a pretty good athlete, but not an elite one.

Kareem was 7'2" so he and KG were able to use their elite length and impressive post skills to shoot over guys in the post.  Ingram at 6'9/6'10" with a 7'3" wingspan has elite length for the SF spot, but not for the PF / C spots (where great length is arguably most beneficial).

Id say the closest comparisons in terms of body type would be Giannis and Durant, but i think both guys have superior athleticism, and Durant's level of talent im college was on a whole other level.

Honestly i am a bit concerned by Ingram's frame.  Of course hes young and has lots of time to bulk up, but if he doesn't it could limit him.

I don't feel i gram has the size to dominate the PF spot or the athleticism to dominate the SF spot, and i question his toughness.  I've got some real uncertainty as to whether he'll become the future star people predict him to be.

Personally, i feel Simmon's upside is on a whole other level.  He has similar attitude question marks, but he already has an NBA body and game, so he doesn't habe aa much to work on.  All Simmons needs is a half decent jump shot, and hed probably become a top 5 player.

Ingram On the other hand might become a Giannis level player - still good, just not transcendent.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think Ingram has a good frame. I'm not concerned about whether he can bulk up long term. It's not as though he wants to play center. Ingram will be fine.

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 06:06:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Talent trumps size.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:23:16 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I'm not convinced his talent level is as transcendent as people believe, which is what worried me.

He's physically weak, mentally soft, only good ( rather turn great) athletically, and i don't think he has close to KD levels of talent.  KD was averaging something like 26/10 in college - he was pure dominant.  Ingram's numbers aren't remotely close to that.

The combination of those things concerns me because Durant lacked strength and toughness too, but made up for it woth elite athleticism and transcendent talent.  I don't see that in Ingram.

I've got no doubts he'll be a good player, just not convinced he'll ever become a great one.  I see him being a Wiggins / Parker type talent, whereas i see Simmoms as a Lebron / Durant caliber talent.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:30:48 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 06:25:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
No
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 06:28:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Less concerned about how thin he is and more concerned with how strong he is and can become. Some of the players you mentioned as being skinny were still ridiculously strong and so used that strength to ascertain position, get around screens, fight for rebounds, etc. Those players were thin but strong and had extremely tough mental makeups. Their athleticism was also elite.

Ingram is skinny. I don't care. What I care about is is his athleticism elite, is he strong, can he get stronger, is he mentally tough and does he have a burning competitive spirit.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 06:30:34 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'm not convinced his talent level is as transcendent as people believe, which is what worried me.

He's physically weak, mentally soft, only good ( rather turn great) athletically, and i don't think he has close to KD levels of talent. 

The combination of those things concerns me.

I've got no doubts he'll be a good player, just not convinced he'll ever become a great one.

How is he mentally soft?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 06:35:01 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
KG was skinny too....LOL

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 06:41:43 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

He's physically weak, mentally soft, only good ( rather turn great) athletically, and i don't think he has close to KD levels of talent. 

The combination of those things concerns me.

I've got no doubts he'll be a good player, just not convinced he'll ever become a great one.

How is he mentally soft?

Perhaps soft isn't the right word, but i just dont see him as a guy who plays with physicality or with an especially high motor.  Seems to shy away from contract, isn't particulaly vocal, plays with a high motor sometimes, but not with great constituency.

I'm not sure if he has what it takes to excel in the tough and physical NBA game.

I don't worry about that with someone like Hield, and (despite criticisms) i don't worry that much about Simmons either bevause despite his personality criticisms, i don't think he lacks physical or mental toughness. 

I just see Ingram as the polar opposite of a Smart / Crowder / Thomas.  I don't see the type of guy who will overcome physical limitations with mental toughness the easy guys like Reggie and KG did.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:53:42 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:42:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Let's worry about Ingram's skinny frame after we draft him.

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:48:19 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He is skinny and will need to work on his body.   There have been skinny guys in the NBA who have done quite well, Reggie Miller and the Iceman come to mind.   Ingram is silky smooth though.  It is easier for a skinny guy to get strong but not all of them bulk up.   

I would rather have a player who needs gain weight than one who needs to lose weight like Sully.