Author Topic: Ingram is skinny. Is that bad?  (Read 4277 times)

Re: Ingram is skinny. Is that bad?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
KG was skinny too....LOL

KG was wiry strong, was an elite athlete, and played with an extreme level of passion and physicality that was at odds with his lanky appearance. KG was skinny, but he never paired like it and was almost always the mentally toughest guy On the floor.

Cant really say those things about Ingram.

Again im not suggesting he doesnt have potential to become a superstar, i just think the chamce of that happening is lower then for some of the other players.

I feel that for a guy to become a big superstar you either need to have elite talent (e.g. Lebron, Shaq, Durant) or else you need to have very good talent and elite intangibles (e.g. Wade, Kobe). 

I feel Ingram has very good talent and pretty good intangibles.  Not sure that's enough.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:13:58 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Let's worry about Ingram's skinny frame after we draft him.

True, because if we get #2 and Simmons its gone, its probably worth taking Ingram :P

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 07:42:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
yes it is

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 07:45:02 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm not convinced his talent level is as transcendent as people believe, which is what worried me.

He's physically weak, mentally soft, only good ( rather turn great) athletically, and i don't think he has close to KD levels of talent. 

The combination of those things concerns me.

I've got no doubts he'll be a good player, just not convinced he'll ever become a great one.

How is he mentally soft?

Perhaps soft isn't the right word, but i just dont see him as a guy who plays with physicality or with an especially high motor.  Seems to shy away from contract, isn't particulaly vocal, plays with a high motor sometimes, but not with great constituency.

I'm not sure if he has what it takes to excel in the tough and physical NBA game.

I don't worry about that with someone like Hield, and (despite criticisms) i don't worry that much about Simmons either bevause despite his personality criticisms, i don't think he lacks physical or mental toughness. 

I just see Ingram as the polar opposite of a Smart / Crowder / Thomas.  I don't see the type of guy who will overcome physical limitations with mental toughness the easy guys like Reggie and KG did.
I'm sorry but did you just make this up? I've read two scouting reports that explicitly say the opposite (that he doesn't shy away from contact) and in the film I've watched it looks like he finishes well through contact.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 09:22:05 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
I prefer that he's skinny as opposed to the other extreme, which is more limiting in terms of physical ability (see Sullinger, Jared). There have been many more successful skinny players in the league than overweight ones.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 09:57:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I prefer that he's skinny as opposed to the other extreme, which is more limiting in terms of physical ability (see Sullinger, Jared). There have been many more successful skinny players in the league than overweight ones.
was wondering how a thread about about a player's weight could make it a full page and a half before someone dogged Sully. 

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 10:18:22 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't think it's objectively bad. Depends what his game is and how his other skills are.

Are there players who had well rounded games and the ONLY question was their skinniness who then failed BECAUSE of skinniness? I don't know. I mean there have been players who have been skinny and failed at basketball, but those players generally had other red flags or other obvious deficiencies (manut bol never had an offensive game, etc); they weren't like Bosh, Durant and KG who were skinny but obviously skilled all around. Anyone have great all-around skills and never made it because they were skinny?

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 10:21:22 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Tayshaun prince is another one who bacially had an allaround game but was very skinny...and ended up having a very good career.

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 11:27:56 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I'm not convinced his talent level is as transcendent as people believe, which is what worried me.

He's physically weak, mentally soft, only good ( rather turn great) athletically, and i don't think he has close to KD levels of talent. 

The combination of those things concerns me.

I've got no doubts he'll be a good player, just not convinced he'll ever become a great one.

How is he mentally soft?

Perhaps soft isn't the right word, but i just dont see him as a guy who plays with physicality or with an especially high motor.  Seems to shy away from contract, isn't particulaly vocal, plays with a high motor sometimes, but not with great constituency.

I'm not sure if he has what it takes to excel in the tough and physical NBA game.

I don't worry about that with someone like Hield, and (despite criticisms) i don't worry that much about Simmons either bevause despite his personality criticisms, i don't think he lacks physical or mental toughness. 

I just see Ingram as the polar opposite of a Smart / Crowder / Thomas.  I don't see the type of guy who will overcome physical limitations with mental toughness the easy guys like Reggie and KG did.
I'm sorry but did you just make this up? I've read two scouting reports that explicitly say the opposite (that he doesn't shy away from contact) and in the film I've watched it looks like he finishes well through contact.

There's an awful lot of the bolded going on on this board, especially among the people who want Ainge to waste the best pick we've had in 20 years on a foreign scrub.

As for the Dookie, he is well on the way to becoming an accomplished finisher.

And he can shoot, unlike Ben Simmons. He fits perfectly what the Celtics need.

Ingram is at the top of my draft board. Number 1.

Simmons is OK as a second option. Beyond that, if the pick drops to 3, I don't want it. Trade it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 11:54:40 AM by CoachBo »
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."