Author Topic: Dragen Bender not (yet) invited to NBA Combine  (Read 20558 times)

Re: Dragen Bender not (yet) invited to NBA Combine
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2016, 06:42:38 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
In your opinion. Important to remember that it is not more than that
No, that's more important to remember for people that are making Bender the greatest thing since sliced bread.
very, very few of those folks are here though. much of the rhetoric tends towards the opposite extreme here, absolute derision and distain.

i believe bender will be a very good nba player. he is a competitor, not soft, which is in his favor. he has some impressive physical talents as well. i like how he plays defense and i think he will have, or has, a good outside shot.

yes, there is very little information on bender out there so he is a gamble. no doubt about that. but ultimatly, no matter how we slice or dice the tiny amount of info we have, we are all going to have to wait an see how he turns out as an nba player.

none of us really know.

LOL.

This board is laden with people trying frantically to rationalize away a Bender pick.
Okay, share a link to a pro-Bender post that fits the description.

« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2016, 08:28:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

@DerekBodnerNBA
76ers Insider for @PhillyMag. Cover the NBA Draft for @USAToday. College basketball scout for @DraftExpress. derek.bodner@draftexpress.com

Derek Bodner from USA Today, who does all there draft stuff, on Bender:

Everyone wants to go small until you get a 7 footer that can move like a guard. He (Bender) really moves his feet as well as any 7 footer I've seen in quite some time and that's really, besides his 3pt shot, his height, and he can block shots, what to me is what really makes him special. You can legitimately switch him on to a guard off of a pick and roll and he can hold his own. You can put him on a 6-7, 6-8 small ball PF and he's not going to get burned on the perimeter. So if he can develop physically he has a chance to give you the best of both worlds. Bender was pretty highly rated before the season started, so it's not as a result of Porzingis. Most people had him in the top 5 before the NBA season even started. What Porzingis did certainly will help a guy like Bender who is rail thin and needs to add a lot of strength and isn't playing very much. However, he's in a different situation than Porzingis. Porzingis was on a bad team in a tough league and they needed him to play. Whereas Bender's team is fighting for a post-season birth and he's on a deeper team. So he isn't getting that much time. He's getting 10-12 minutes rather than the 25 minutes Porzingis was getting.

« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Everyone wants to go small until you get a 7 footer that can move like a guard. He (Bender) really moves his feet as well as any 7 footer I've seen in quite some time and that's really, besides his 3pt shot, his height, and he can block shots, what to me is what really makes him special. You can legitimately switch him on to a guard off of a pick and roll and he can hold his own. You can put him on a 6-7, 6-8 small ball PF and he's not going to get burned on the perimeter. So if he can develop physically he has a chance to give you the best of both worlds. Bender was pretty highly rated before the season started, so it's not as a result of Porzingis. Most people had him in the top 5 before the NBA season even started. What Porzingis did certainly will help a guy like Bender who is rail thin and needs to add a lot of strength and isn't playing very much. However, he's in a different situation than Porzingis. Porzingis was on a bad team in a tough league and they needed him to play. Whereas Bender's team is fighting for a post-season birth and he's on a deeper team. So he isn't getting that much time. He's getting 10-12 minutes rather than the 25 minutes Porzingis was getting.

His statistics do not bear it out.  Good players play, period.   I bet that guy gets paid to say the above.

We seen the highlights how about his weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhREj9q-UpM

« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

His statistics do not bear it out.  Good players play, period.  I bet that guy gets paid to say the above.

We seen the highlights how about his weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhREj9q-UpM

Interesting. So you think Bodner gets paid to say that, yet he happens to work for draft express, who conicidentally made the "weaknesses" video you placed a link of. College basketball scout for @DraftExpress. derek.bodner@draftexpress.com

You do realize that they make a strengths and weaknesses video of every prospect, right? So you simply posting half of the scouting report is only telling half the story.

Here is the strengths portion that you conveniently omitted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Epg_sBZq4&list=PLHYk_Vc1Z3cWkKJ9FfKNztfLsG2mgiLax

Oh, and the strengths video happens to be roughly 3 minutes longer.