Author Topic: Dragen Bender not (yet) invited to NBA Combine  (Read 20560 times)

Re: Dragen Bender not (yet) invited to NBA Combine
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2016, 08:08:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
So you are saying that Bender could contribute more to a struggling team but because he wants to leave they don`t use him? I find it a bit hard to believe ....

Young players do get play time if they prove they can actually help their teams. Vezenkov at 19 was MVP of the Greek league , definately better than the Israeli league.
Porzingis was a 20mpg player in ACB and 2 times All young ACB team
Galinari and Belineli were stars in Italy , so where the Gasols.

BTW B Jenkins wasn`t just some guy who played in Italy. Was considered a top prospect because of his performance and because of his body type

In the year when Porzingis was Bender's age, he averaged 15.2 mpg, 6.9 points, 2.8 rebounds.

And what are Bender's averages right now?

In his current league, Israeli-BSL, over 25 games Bender has averaged 13.6 minutes, 5.48 points, 2.68 rebounds.  Bender is shooting 47.9% FG, 41.1% 3PT & 73.3% FT over those 25 games.

On a per-minute basis, pretty similar numbers to Porzingis at the same age, though with better 3PT & FT shooting percentages.

Bender also played in 3 EuroCup games, averaging just 4 minutes and 7 Euroleague games, averaging 10.5 minutes.  His performance in those has been pretty forgettable.

Some statements have been thrown down earlier in this thread to the extent that Bender is being criticized for not getting minutes despite playing on a crappy team in a crappy league.   Israeli-BSL is not at the same level as Spanish-ACB, but it is a fairly strong professional league.  It has a few former NBA players scattered about on rosters (Nate Robinson is playing on the Hapoel Tel Aviv team).   Bender's team, Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv is currently 22-9, so they are not a crappy team and they are playing to win games.  His team's roster is dominated by veterans mostly between ages 25-32.  So he is basically a baby teenager on that roster.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't know enough about Bender to assert that Danny should take him with the BKN pick or not.  I am just trying to cut through the noise that people who also clearly don't know much about him keep spewing about.   I'll trust Danny will do his best to properly scout and vet Bender and all the other players as well.
Good post TP
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2016, 08:31:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
In his current league, Israeli-BSL, over 25 games Bender has averaged 13.6 minutes, 5.48 points, 2.68 rebounds.  Bender is shooting 47.9% FG, 41.1% 3PT & 73.3% FT over those 25 games.

On a per-minute basis, pretty similar numbers to Porzingis at the same age, though with better 3PT & FT shooting percentages.

Yet Prozingas earned more minutes and Bender does not.   Love you comparing minutes he does not play, and was not good enough to play.   It really backs up your argument.

Some statements have been thrown down earlier in this thread to the extent that Bender is being criticized for not getting minutes despite playing on a crappy team in a crappy league.   Israeli-BSL is not at the same level as Spanish-ACB, but it is a fairly strong professional league.  It has a few former NBA players scattered about on rosters (Nate Robinson is playing on the Hapoel Tel Aviv team).   Bender's team, Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv is currently 22-9, so they are not a crappy team and they are playing to win games.  His team's roster is dominated by veterans mostly between ages 25-32.  So he is basically a baby teenager on that roster

Cream rises to the top, he would play there if good enough.  He is 18, when last I looked that is a man.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't know enough about Bender to assert that Danny should take him with the BKN pick or not.  I am just trying to cut through the noise that people who also clearly don't know much about him keep spewing about.   I'll trust Danny will do his best to properly scout and vet Bender and all the other players as well.

Your twisting per minute stats to line him up with Porzingas.   All I posted were his actual stats not some projection of minutes that he is not playing.   Danny drafts guys usually with proven track records not some guy who was sitting on the pine.   This kid will have to have more than a good workout, he will have to dominate the workout and he will be playing against other hungry guys who are going to bang on his fragile 216 lb frame.  I wish him good luck, he will need it.

I am all for taking him to trade to Divac who loves him for DMC.   Bender will never be as good as Counsins. I wager.

Here are Counsins stats at 18 at UK, I might add that this is US college which had a nice record in international play.

15.1 PPG, 9.8 RPG, 1.0 APG 1.8 BPG  56% FG  23.5 MPG

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/demarcus-cousins-1.html

Was he a teenager too?  Or does it just apply to Bender.

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2016, 09:18:40 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Yet Prozingas earned more minutes and Bender does not.   Love you comparing minutes he does not play, and was not good enough to play.   It really backs up your argument.

Porzingis had 14.9 MPG playing in Spain's ACB League at the same age that Bender is now.  I don't think that is a significant difference.

It would be shocking for any 18-year-old in a European league to play any more minutes than that unless they have already been on the roster for a couple of years because that's just not how Euros hand out minutes.  They are more structured and you put in a lot of practice before you see the floor.  No matter your talent, they make you learn fundamentals first.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2016, 12:45:21 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Porzingis earned a minute and half more.   "That really backs up your argument."
Some statements have been thrown down earlier in this thread to the extent that Bender is being criticized for not getting minutes despite playing on a crappy team in a crappy league.   Israeli-BSL is not at the same level as Spanish-ACB, but it is a fairly strong professional league.  It has a few former NBA players scattered about on rosters (Nate Robinson is playing on the Hapoel Tel Aviv team).   Bender's team, Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv is currently 22-9, so they are not a crappy team and they are playing to win games.  His team's roster is dominated by veterans mostly between ages 25-32.  So he is basically a baby teenager on that roster

Cream rises to the top, he would play there if good enough.  He is 18, when last I looked that is a man.
That is a compelling, rational and well thought-out point.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2016, 02:30:45 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Some statements have been thrown down earlier in this thread to the extent that Bender is being criticized for not getting minutes despite playing on a crappy team in a crappy league.   Israeli-BSL is not at the same level as Spanish-ACB, but it is a fairly strong professional league.  It has a few former NBA players scattered about on rosters (Nate Robinson is playing on the Hapoel Tel Aviv team).   Bender's team, Maccabi FOX Tel Aviv is currently 22-9, so they are not a crappy team and they are playing to win games.  His team's roster is dominated by veterans mostly between ages 25-32.  So he is basically a baby teenager on that roster.

I would really like to know how much eurobasket you guys get to watch .....

Your assesment of the israeli league is completely wrong.  It`s not better than an average european league and miles behind ACB.  Maccabi THIS season is AWFUL. Maccabi dominates 99% of the time the league and they don`t lose more than a couple of games each season.  They also failed miserably in the Euroleague against real teams. So yeah for their standards Maccabi is **** this season.

BTW in Bender`s stats line the 3p% stands out. Do your self a favor and check dig a little deeper than just a %. How many shots ? Was he consistent ? It amazes the amount of details you use here when discussing about other players you get to watch many times each year and yet in this case without watching a single game you seem to be satisfied with ppg and shot% ......

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2016, 02:57:18 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

This tells me you don't follow European sport in general. Whilst the absolute best do tend to come in at 18, noone is suggesting he is the next Michael Jordan. The majority of the time young players struggle to break into the team at 18. Particularly ones who are projected to leave for the NBA in a year. Euro teams have an interest in developing their own team, not necessarily the guy who's going to leave in a year

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2016, 08:10:02 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Dragen Bender has not even earned an invitation to the draft combine. How do people expect him to go top 3, when chances are he wont even get drafted inside the top 20?

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/727120355899412480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Jonathan Givony-

Players Unable To Attend

Aleksandar Vezenkov (Barcelona)
Andrey Desyatnikov (St. Petersburg)
Ante Zizic (Cibona)
Blaz Mesicek (Olimpija Ljubljana)
Dragan Bender (Maccabi Tel Aviv)
Furkan Korkmaz (Anadolu Efes)
Georgios Papagiannis (Panathinaikos)
Guerschon Yabusele (Rouen)
Isaia Cordinier (Denain)
Ivica Zubac (Mega Leks)
Juan Hernangomez (Estudiantes)
Marko Arapovic (Cedevita)
Mathias Lessort (Chalon)
Moussa Diagne (Barcelona)
Paul Zipser (Bayern Munich)
Petr Cornelie (Le Mans)
Rade Zagorac (Mega Leks)
Timothe Luwawu (Mega Leks)

Analysis:
Conducting the Combine early in May means that most international leagues are still in full swing, which makes it impossible for the majority of European prospects to take part. This is nothing new, and is to be expected. Teams may elect to share in the costs of conducting medical examinations for this group of players once their teams' seasons are finished later in the month or in early June, or they may just decide to pick players without the benefit of their doctors' input.

« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2016, 08:23:23 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Your twisting per minute stats to line him up with Porzingas.   All I posted were his actual stats not some projection of minutes that he is not playing.   Danny drafts guys usually with proven track records not some guy who was sitting on the pine.   This kid will have to have more than a good workout, he will have to dominate the workout and he will be playing against other hungry guys who are going to bang on his fragile 216 lb frame.  I wish him good luck, he will need it.

I am all for taking him to trade to Divac who loves him for DMC.   Bender will never be as good as Counsins. I wager.

Here are Counsins stats at 18 at UK, I might add that this is US college which had a nice record in international play.

Apparently, it just applies to Bender.

I think I'll defer to the scout above in question, who doesn't like a thing about Bender's game.

There certainly is a lot of effort here to rationalize what would be an absolutely disastrous pick by Ainge.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2016, 09:36:31 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

I think I'll defer to the scout above in question, who doesn't like a thing about Bender's game.

There certainly is a lot of effort here to rationalize what would be an absolutely disastrous pick by Ainge.

In your opinion. Important to remember that it is not more than that

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2016, 09:44:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
No, that's more important to remember for people that are making Bender the greatest thing since sliced bread.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2016, 09:57:39 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
No, that's more important to remember for people that are making Bender the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Actually most of us, maybe all of us, accept that he'll have to prove it in workouts. Others have ruled out any possibility that he could possibly be good. That's ignorant

« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas

Sorry. I'm going to take my opinion, and an active advance scout, over all the uninformed pro-Bender nonsense on this board.

All. Day. Long.

He would be the worst draft pick in the history of this franchise. Easily.

« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2016, 10:11:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
very, very few of those folks are here though. much of the rhetoric tends towards the opposite extreme here, absolute derision and distain.

i believe bender will be a very good nba player. he is a competitor, not soft, which is in his favor. he has some impressive physical talents as well. i like how he plays defense and i think he will have, or has, a good outside shot.

yes, there is very little information on bender out there so he is a gamble. no doubt about that. but ultimatly, no matter how we slice or dice the tiny amount of info we have, we are all going to have to wait an see how he turns out as an nba player.

none of us really know.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2016, 10:25:05 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
very, very few of those folks are here though. much of the rhetoric tends towards the opposite extreme here, absolute derision and distain.

i believe bender will be a very good nba player. he is a competitor, not soft, which is in his favor. he has some impressive physical talents as well. i like how he plays defense and i think he will have, or has, a good outside shot.

yes, there is very little information on bender out there so he is a gamble. no doubt about that. but ultimatly, no matter how we slice or dice the tiny amount of info we have, we are all going to have to wait an see how he turns out as an nba player.

none of us really know.

LOL.

This board is laden with people trying frantically to rationalize away a Bender pick.

« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2016, 10:26:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Sorry. I'm going to take my opinion, and an active advance scout, over all the uninformed pro-Bender nonsense on this board.

All. Day. Long.

He would be the worst draft pick in the history of this franchise. Easily.
well you've always been on record of having an extremely high opinion of yourself and a mocking disdain for anyone who doesn't agree with you so, your response isn't surprising.

as for worst in franchise history, just going back on my memories of first rounder taken:
Darren Tillis, Michael Young (who didn't even make the starting day roster over Rick Carlisle the sixth round pick), Michael Smith, Kedrick Brown, Jerome Moiso, Fab Melo, Joe Forte --> that's some pretty steep competition for worst pick ever.

I'm not saying Bender will be good or bad, personally I'm more than a bit leery about him, but over-the-top condescension is a bit much.