Author Topic: Dragen Bender not (yet) invited to NBA Combine  (Read 20600 times)

Re: Dragen Bender not invited to NBA Combine
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Isn't his regular season still going on?

edit- just looked it up and his last game of the season is May 15th, which is after the combine.

Exactly. There is so much misinformation that people post without knowing actual details.

I don't think Porzingis, Mudiay, and Hezonja received invites either for the same reason.
Dragen Bender has declared for the draft. That should make him eligible for an invite to the NBA Draft Combine. The combine is starts on the 11th of May. Benders international season ends on the 8th of May. That gives him more than enough time to fly out to the states.
I looked at their schedule and I see a game on May 15th
http://maccabi.co.il/Schedule.asp?lang=en
in any case, that still gives him 4 days to attend the draft combine. I doubt that game is very important, considering he averages 4 minutes a game (What a vital role he plays on the team!). Makes me question his commitment to the NBA, let alone him commitment to the game of basketball. He already said he is leaving the team, how much of an impact is that game really going to have?
He has a contract, he doesn't just get to leave before the season is over. Teams practice in between games having a game the 8th and another the 15th doesn't mean he has time on his hands. If I'm an owner and I am playing this guy I'm not letting him miss almost a week of practice to go to the combine.

I think not going to the combine probably is good for him. With a lot of mocks having him at 3 do you think he could jump Simmons or Ingram at the combine? It's the agents job to put their player in situations that can improve their stock, not force them to show up for everything.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 04:21:16 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

edit- just looked it up and his last game of the season is May 15th, which is after the combine.

Exactly. There is so much misinformation that people post without knowing actual details.

I don't think Porzingis, Mudiay, and Hezonja received invites either for the same reason.
Dragen Bender has declared for the draft. That should make him eligible for an invite to the NBA Draft Combine. The combine is starts on the 11th of May. Benders international season ends on the 8th of May. That gives him more than enough time to fly out to the states.
in any case, that still gives him 4 days to attend the draft combine. I doubt that game is very important, considering he averages 4 minutes a game (What a vital role he plays on the team!). Makes me question his commitment to the NBA, let alone him commitment to the game of basketball. He already said he is leaving the team, how much of an impact is that game really going to have?
He has a contract, he doesn't just get to leave before the season is over. Teams practice in between games having a game the 8th and another the 15th doesn't mean he has time on his hands. If I'm an owner and I am playing this guy I'm not letting him miss almost a week of practice to go to the combine.

I think not going to the combine probably is good for him. With a lot of mocks having him at 3 do you think he could jump Simmons or Ingram at the combine? It's the agents job to put their player in situations that can improve their stock, not force them to show up for everything.
So are you implying that the reason he choose to not go to the NBA Draft Combine (implying that he was invited, and he declined the invitation) is due to the reason that he is an inferior player and he does not want to unveil himself past the veil of secrecy and obscurity, for the fear that he will hurt his draft stock beyond repair?

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 04:39:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

So are you implying that the reason he choose to not go to the NBA Draft Combine (implying that he was invited, and he declined the invitation) is due to the reason that he is an inferior player and he does not want to unveil himself past the veil of secrecy and obscurity, for the fear that he will hurt his draft stock beyond repair?
Nope, you misunderstood.

First off I indicated the reason he isn't going is because he's under contract to another team and that team's season ends after the combine.

Secondly, I mentioned that his agent would put him in a position to improve his stock. Due to where he is currently mocked he isn't moving up with a good combine. So there is no upside to going to the combine but there is downside. This line of reasoning is the same that leads the elite players in the draft to not play in the game at the combine, there is nothing to be gained from doing so. If you are going to kill Bender for not going to the combine then you should knock Ben Simmons for not playing in the 5 on 5 at the combine.

We get it, you don't like him but not going to the combine is not a reason for you to like him any less.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Re: Dragen Bender not (yet) invited to NBA Combine
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »

Offline beantownboy171

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think we get it man. You don't like Bender as a prospect. You could be right. But I think anyone who claims to know is just guessing.

Whenever I make big boards to project who I like I usually just leave him off.

But if you don't think Bender will be invited because he's not a qualified prospect, I think you're wrong.

Bender didn't play for his Euro team because he's very young (17/18) and the team knew he wouldn't be around longterm. This happens with many young Euro players (Hezonja, Porzingis, etc.)

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 05:08:44 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Denis, you don't like Bender; we get it. Maybe you don't think he's worthy of a top three pick, which is certainly a reasonable stance and one you are entitled hold, but making sweeping declarations about him not going top 20 really hurts your credibility (as does misspelling his name repeatedly). Other posters, draft evaluators, and most importantly, league sources, recognize that Bender will be a top 10 pick, without a doubt.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
People on here use the excuse that he is tall that he should be in the NBA.
By that logic I should be a great 2 guard in the NBA because I am 6'6.

No way I would use a first on D998.  Maybe an early second.  He profiles more as a draft and stash guy.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 05:52:26 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
Even if he doesn't end up at the combine, my guess is that individual workouts are more important, anyway.

Indeed. Teams will make their decisions based upon their own workouts and scouting.
They can combine that! lol
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
90% of the posts on this draft board are bashing Bender. Time to move on.

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 06:14:48 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Dragen Bender has not even earned an invitation to the draft combine. How do people expect him to go top 3, when chances are he wont even get drafted inside the top 20?

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/727120355899412480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The link is to goodmans list of 64 of the 70 invites. Not a complete list. I think he is basing that of off agent feed back Benders camp may just not be telling the media much. Nothing to do with draft stock
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

And 100% of those posts that bash Bender are based on 5 minutes of viewing the 18 year old on youtube videos.

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 06:27:14 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Dragen Bender has not even earned an invitation to the draft combine. How do people expect him to go top 3, when chances are he wont even get drafted inside the top 20?

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/727120355899412480?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The link is to goodmans list of 64 of the 70 invites. Not a complete list. I think he is basing that of off agent feed back Benders camp may just not be telling the media much. Nothing to do with draft stock

This is true. Some people on Twitter asked him about certain players (who many assumed were a lock to get an invite). He said that it was indeed likely they'd get an invite, but, being the journalist that he is, he had to hear it from a source before reporting it.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 06:41:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I don't care for players that hide

I like the Smart types.....or Rozier ....not afraid of putting on a show

Confidence is prime

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 06:57:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I don't care for players that hide

I like the Smart types.....or Rozier ....not afraid of putting on a show

Confidence is prime

He's not hiding, man. He's under contract and playing for his team overseas. So if he leaves his team for the combine, not only would he be in breach of his contract, but then people will criticize him for abandoning his team.

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 07:04:54 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Here are his rankings in the Israeli League

Player Ranking in Stats Categories

Ranks #69 in Effiency (5.6)
Ranks #70 in Points Per Game (5.5)
Ranks #61 in Rebounds Per Game (2.7)
Ranks #76 in Steals Per Game (0.6)
Ranks #90 in Turnovers Per Game (0.6)
Ranks #12 in Blocks Per Game (0.8)
Ranks #9 in 3-Pts Percentage (41.1%)

Why would we give a guy from that league, a shot at the combo invite.   I would not mind spending a second rounder on him but does he deserve a shot?

There is a reason he is hiding, he has not produced.  They better hide him the mystery and he is tall are his best  assets.

http://basket.co.il/PlayerPage.asp?PlayerNumber=03&TeamId=950&cYear=2016&cView=2&lang=en

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 07:36:17 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

And 100% of those posts that bash Bender are based on 5 minutes of viewing the 18 year old on youtube videos.

are you sure ? cause some of us actually watch Euroleague where he was a non factor not even cracking the rotation of a very bad team and european youth competitions where facing players at his age was also average.

there is a reason why there are only 5 mins of highlights. and it`s not because nobody wants to spend time making the video......