Author Topic: Why NBA Players Lie About Their Height (WSJ Article)  (Read 2104 times)

Why NBA Players Lie About Their Height (WSJ Article)
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:55:57 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
Wall Street Journal had an interesting article about something we know that all players do: lying about their height. They started with Durant (and mentioned Garnett), who is an example of the rare NBA player who lies to make themself shorter.

It does explain, though, why Avery Bradley has grown from 6' to 6'3" over the past few years. By 2020, he's going to be our starting center.

Mike

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-nba-players-lie-about-their-height-1462316051#:RBDlP-o8Z8nJoA

Re: Why NBA Players Lie About Their Height (WSJ Article)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:18:41 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Wall Street Journal had an interesting article about something we know that all players do: lying about their height. They started with Durant (and mentioned Garnett), who is an example of the rare NBA player who lies to make themself shorter.

It does explain, though, why Avery Bradley has grown from 6' to 6'3" over the past few years. By 2020, he's going to be our starting center.

Mike

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-nba-players-lie-about-their-height-1462316051#:RBDlP-o8Z8nJoA

Not sure of that accuracy because in the combine Bradley was listed as

Height w/shoes   6'3.25"

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:21:50 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sully not lie about height .

He weights 65 pounds more than he TELLS people

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 11:24:19 AM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I've always thought the official NBA measurements were "in shoes" so that bit in the article helped put the height variations in better context. Regardless, I've always taken the "official" measurements with a grain of salt and refer to the Draftexpress.com "in shoes" pre-draft measurements for more accurate listings.

I remember laughing out loud in my car this year as I heard Crowder proclaim that he's 6'4 during the starting lineup intros on the radio, knowing that he's at least 6'6 in shoes. I'm pretty sure Pierce was generally listed as 6'6 in his SG days until he started playing more SF with the Big 3 when he started going by 6'7.

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 11:27:33 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Sully not lie about height .

He weights 65 pounds more than he TELLS people

Lol TP
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:37:22 AM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437

Mike

Height w/shoes   6'3.25"

His official NBA listed height is 6'2". Why is he choosing to make himself smaller in this case?
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 11:47:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Mike

Height w/shoes   6'3.25"

His official NBA listed height is 6'2". Why is he choosing to make himself smaller in this case?

6-2 was his listed height at the combine without shoes.