Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers will trade pick even if they get #1 overall  (Read 8130 times)

Re: Rumor: Lakers will trade pick even if they get #1 overall
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The Lakers have been putting together a strong young core, with D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, and Larry Nance Jr. , and the possibility to add a superstar caliber player like Simmons or Ingram in a couple of months, along with a ton of cap room.

They also ruined Kobe's last season to all-out tank.

I really do hope they destroy this foundation by trading the pick for a veteran who will hate playing with the young core. Or better yet, trade the whole darn young core!

Kinda same feeling. Let's admit it guys. Their tanking has gone somewhat well. They have good pieces. Hopefully they make a dumb trade to "win now" and end up making themselves much worse long term.

I don't know - I'm not blown away by their young core. You take a team like the Wolves with two A+ prospects in Towns and Wiggins and the Lakers aren't even close to them. Russell and Randle may end up being very good players, but Smart might end up being very good, too - there is no guarantee with the guys they currently have. Philly is likely ahead of LAL in terms of asset collection and possibly even development. And if the LAL pick goes falls out of the top 3, all of their hopes hinge on FA signings and trades...and losing that pick greatly decreases their ability to bring in a star.

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2016, 07:48:02 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Is this a smoke show for if they lose their pick? As in pre damage control. They can claim they were going to trade it anyways because they weren't sold on this draft.

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2016, 07:58:31 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Is this a smoke show for if they lose their pick? As in pre damage control. They can claim they were going to trade it anyways because they weren't sold on this draft.

In typical lakers fashion.

Lakers fans if they get a top 2 pick:
"Omg Ingram/Simmons, future HOFer. Add that to our talented young core of Russell Randle Clarkson and nance and SHOWTIME! Then get Durant and whiteside to play with us and DYNASTY! (Followed by a million various hashtags)"

Lakers fans if they lose the pick:
"Honestly this draft is overrated. We would have traded the pick if we got it. No one is gonna be an all star. Simmons doesn't have a J and Ingram is too thin. We already have young talent with DLo and Clarkson, and Randle as nightly dub-dub. Durant and whiteside will sign with us and BOOM, 17th championship! (Again, millions of hashtags)"
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2016, 07:59:27 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
A mediore Laker team in 2012-13 featuring Kobe, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol loses ALL FOUR of these players for NOTHING.   And in a couple of years find themselves in pretty good position heading into the 2016 lottery. 

If they nab, as I fully expect they will, the #1 or #2 pick, the Lakers will be in position to trade for a star and then sign a star FA and be right back in the thick of it.   Given how many NBA franchises have been mired in the mud for generations, how is it possible that LAL can be one Purple and Gold ping-pong ball away from rebirth -- within a couple of years of rebuilding?    There is something about having Laker Luck and having the Laker Lure that creates this agonizing NBA reality -- the Lakers are never more than a few years from contention.  Tank; Luck into higher picks (last year the Lakers were the only NBA team to move up on lottery day); Create cap room; Trade a high pick for a star; Lure in your desired FA. 

Drives me crazy.   

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think that has to be their stance.  They can't go into next season with the team they have now and Simmons.  Maybe in 5 years that's a good team, but not next year and most likely not the year after that.

« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2016, 09:33:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

In typical lakers fashion.

Lakers fans if they get a top 2 pick:
"Omg Ingram/Simmons, future HOFer. Add that to our talented young core of Russell Randle Clarkson and nance and SHOWTIME! Then get Durant and whiteside to play with us and DYNASTY! (Followed by a million various hashtags)"

Lakers fans if they lose the pick:
"Honestly this draft is overrated. We would have traded the pick if we got it. No one is gonna be an all star. Simmons doesn't have a J and Ingram is too thin. We already have young talent with DLo and Clarkson, and Randle as nightly dub-dub. Durant and whiteside will sign with us and BOOM, 17th championship! (Again, millions of hashtags)"
Exactly

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
A mediore Laker team in 2012-13 featuring Kobe, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol loses ALL FOUR of these players for NOTHING.   And in a couple of years find themselves in pretty good position heading into the 2016 lottery. 

If they nab, as I fully expect they will, the #1 or #2 pick, the Lakers will be in position to trade for a star and then sign a star FA and be right back in the thick of it.   Given how many NBA franchises have been mired in the mud for generations, how is it possible that LAL can be one Purple and Gold ping-pong ball away from rebirth -- within a couple of years of rebuilding?    There is something about having Laker Luck and having the Laker Lure that creates this agonizing NBA reality -- the Lakers are never more than a few years from contention.  Tank; Luck into higher picks (last year the Lakers were the only NBA team to move up on lottery day); Create cap room; Trade a high pick for a star; Lure in your desired FA. 

Drives me crazy.

I think you're underestimating their FO's ability to totally screw it up. They're probably going to trade Simmons for Carmelo Anthony and it'll be allllllll downhill from there.

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2016, 10:59:58 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
They probably think they can get Paul George. If it's a top 2 pick, Indy might do it.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2016, 11:08:22 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
They probably think they can get Paul George. If it's a top 2 pick, Indy might do it.

They think they can get anyone. I admire the optimism, but cmon now.

I doubt Indiana does it even with a top 2 pick. Lakers would also need to trade Russell Randle and Clarkson
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:25:51 PM by alldaboston »
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

They think they can get anyone. I admire the optimism, but cmon now.

I donut Indiana does it even with a top 2 pick. Lakers would also need to trade Russell Randle and Clarkson

Lakers have had a history of fleecing other teams (coughs Gasol coughs). Hopefully, Bird does not bite and let the Lakers suffer.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2016, 11:51:29 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
There's no way around it: the NBA is a star dominated league more than any other sport, and being a destination team is a major advantage. Thank God there's at least a salary cap. However, the reality is that LA could have an empty roster, and be in a better position than half the league. Building through the draft relies heavily on luck. SA got extremely lucky to have Tim Duncan. Without him, who knows what the last 15 seasons look like. CLE with LeBron. How many other teams tanked and never rose to contender status? Many. On the other hand, LA, NYC, CHI will always have a shot whenever they have money to spend.

Having some assets helps, but LA's #1 asset is its free agency appeal, period. It's why Shaq went there, and why they got Kobe (after all, they don't trade Divac if Shaq doesn't come over). Here's hoping Durant doesn't follow suit.

« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2016, 12:32:32 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
There's no way around it: the NBA is a star dominated league more than any other sport, and being a destination team is a major advantage. Thank God there's at least a salary cap. However, the reality is that LA could have an empty roster, and be in a better position than half the league. Building through the draft relies heavily on luck. SA got extremely lucky to have Tim Duncan. Without him, who knows what the last 15 seasons look like. CLE with LeBron. How many other teams tanked and never rose to contender status? Many. On the other hand, LA, NYC, CHI will always have a shot whenever they have money to spend.

Having some assets helps, but LA's #1 asset is its free agency appeal, period. It's why Shaq went there, and why they got Kobe (after all, they don't trade Divac if Shaq doesn't come over). Here's hoping Durant doesn't follow suit.

Honestly I doubt it. Durant doesn't strike me as that kinda guy, to go somewhere because it's LA or whatever. He is hell bent on winning.

« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2016, 01:56:07 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
Quick draft question:

If we fall to 6th, does that also mean the lakers lose their pick? Because it would mean that we got jumped by 3 teams, and the teams in 4th and 5th would be philly and LA (hence, philly again), right? (Due to worst record order after the top 3)

If so, I guess there's one positive to falling to sixth: lakers lose their pick