Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers will trade pick even if they get #1 overall  (Read 8140 times)

Re: Rumor: Lakers will trade pick even if they get #1 overall
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Why does everyone assume that LA will automatically get a trade for a star with a top-2 pick, but there's always questions about availability when we talk about the C's trading a top-2 pick? Lol

It's not going to matter, because LA doesn't have really any semblance of a team outside of its young prospects. Further, it's going to take more than just the top pick for a trade for a star. They'll necessarily have to trade one of Randle or Russell alongside the pick, so they'd essentially be left with a star and a young prospect on the team. That's not drawing any star players in free agency who are looking to win now.

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2016, 03:41:05 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Why does everyone assume that LA will automatically get a trade for a star with a top-2 pick, but there's always questions about availability when we talk about the C's trading a top-2 pick? Lol

It's not going to matter, because LA doesn't have really any semblance of a team outside of its young prospects. Further, it's going to take more than just the top pick for a trade for a star. They'll necessarily have to trade one of Randle or Russell alongside the pick, so they'd essentially be left with a star and a young prospect on the team. That's not drawing any star players in free agency who are looking to win now.
I haven't seen much of what you are describing.  A top 2 pick is a lot different than just saying the BKN pick.  Once the lottery happens a lot of that particular confusion will go away since the picks will be set. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2016, 03:46:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
here's hoping Philly gets their pick.  45% chance of happening.

Really? You'd rather to give Philly - a team in our DIVISION - another top pick rather than the Lakers - who is in the other CONFERENCE - keeping it?

No. Just...no.
Sure.  I hate the Lakers.  They are a free agent destination by default.  If the land a top pick and trade it for a star, that makes them more appealing as a destination.  I'd rather they just lose the pick.

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2016, 04:36:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

Really? You'd rather to give Philly - a team in our DIVISION - another top pick rather than the Lakers - who is in the other CONFERENCE - keeping it?

No. Just...no.

17-16 is the only thing that matters (in life). I would rather Philly win 8 championships in a row than for the Lakers to get another 2 (or even one). It's not like it's going wonderfully in Philly right now anyway - they certainly aren't the Wolves.
Co-signed. I want Philly to get that Lakers pick real bad.

But if the Lakers do get top 3, I hope the rumor is true and they trade it to try and win now. They have no foundation to make a move like that. I think it would end in disaster. Keeping the pick would allow them to build the kind of foundation the Celtics are trying, smartly, to build.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2016, 04:52:25 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I have a brilliant idea! Let's add one (veteran) star to a 17 win team that has a roster made up of young guys, who need time to develop in a low pressure situation! If we add one guy, who doesn't fit our timeline for contention, and sacrifice development for contention, then maybe we can return to the Lakers glory days!
- Jim Buss

Is anyone really surprised at this point?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2016, 05:07:04 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The Lakers have been putting together a strong young core, with D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, and Larry Nance Jr. , and the possibility to add a superstar caliber player like Simmons or Ingram in a couple of months, along with a ton of cap room.

They also ruined Kobe's last season to all-out tank.

I really do hope they destroy this foundation by trading the pick for a veteran who will hate playing with the young core. Or better yet, trade the whole darn young core!

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:09 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The Lakers have been putting together a strong young core, with D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, and Larry Nance Jr. , and the possibility to add a superstar caliber player like Simmons or Ingram in a couple of months, along with a ton of cap room.

I really do hope they destroy this foundation by trading the pick for a veteran who will hate playing with the young core. Or better yet, trade the whole darn young core!

Kinda same feeling. Let's admit it guys. Their tanking has gone somewhat well. They have good pieces. Hopefully they make a dumb trade to "win now" and end up making themselves much worse long term.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:51 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

No. Just...no.
Sure.  I hate the Lakers.  They are a free agent destination by default.  If the land a top pick and trade it for a star, that makes them more appealing as a destination.  I'd rather they just lose the pick.

This. This should be any Celtics fan's mindset.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2016, 06:03:52 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
IF they get the #1?  I will be shocked if LAL does not get #1 or #2.  And i am not an NBA conspiracy theorist.  I just think that this is how it works in this universe.  Lakers get the big breaks.

« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2016, 06:08:31 PM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
IF they get the #1?  I will be shocked if LAL does not get #1 or #2.  And i am not an NBA conspiracy theorist.  I just think that this is how it works in this universe.  Lakers get the big breaks.
If I could give you 10 TPs I would. Lakers get so [dang] lucky it's obnoxious. Year in and year out. And we get screwed in the lottery.

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2016, 06:15:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

No. Just...no.
Sure.  I really like the Sixers and I hate the Lakers. They are a free agent destination by default.  If the land a top pick and trade it for a star, that makes them more appealing as a destination.  I'd rather they just lose the pick.

Edited.

« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2016, 07:11:07 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

This is funny, Kobe did not play well this season either.  The no defense last game take a million shots was not indicative of his season as a well.   He should have retired a few years ago.  He shot .36% for the field this season.   He was a big part of why they were bad, this year.  He was awful and they were young.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/110/kobe-bryant

He also took a ton of shots to get those points this year.  16.9 FGA  7.1 3PA  and 4.3 FTPG to get 17.6 PPG

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2016, 07:17:32 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
That would be a silly decision by the Lakers.  That team isn't two players away (the star they get for the pick and the star they hope they get in free agency).  Take Simmons -- maybe the team performs better.  Then enter next season with about $80 million in cap room.  If they get lucky they'll be in the top 3 again (protecting it from Philly) and can trade it for a star next draft.  And maybe a new CBA will create more ability for them to spend like crazy.

But trading the #1 this year would be foolish.  It's not going to get them Durant, and without that, what's the point?

I agree with this.  Seems silly to me.

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2016, 07:17:33 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Cousins, Westbrook, and Durant...sounds like a monster team capable of winning back2back titles. Now that sounds scary if the Lakers get all 3...

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2016, 07:23:21 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If they can get Paul George and then replace D'Angelo with say Mike Conley, then that's a pretty ridiculous upgrade.  I would trade Ben Simmons for Paul George and I don't think Larry Bird will give him up for that.  Paul George is REALLY Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.N GOOD why don't people get that?