Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers will trade pick even if they get #1 overall  (Read 8099 times)

Re: Rumor: Lakers will trade pick even if they get #1 overall
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2016, 09:41:50 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
So they will try to trade the pick for a star?  So would the Celtics.  Non story, thanks Cowherd.

And I doubt the Celtics or Lakers would trade Simmons.  I think NBA types feel as high on him as I do (that he's the top player by far with superstar star potential).

But if you are talking getting Cousins back or something who knows.

Man, your post contradicts itself. 

You first think both the Lakers and Cs trade their pick for a star and that should be obvious. Then you backpedal and say you doubt they would trade Simmons even though you previously acted as it was obvious they would. Then you again reverse course and suggest that if it's for Cousins then "who knows".

I don't mean to draw a direct conclusion.  That's the point.

If the pick isn't first, it's obviously in play in my opinion in any trade.

If it's first it might be for a good enough player.

No one knows what the lottery order is.  Whats stars are even actually available.  What the asking price is for any player.  There are so many variables at play that saying "YUP THEY ARE FOR SURE TRADING IT" is a stupid thing to say.  Typical Cowherd.  No one from the Lakers is telling Cowherd that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2016, 09:42:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
False rumor if you ask me. Lakers are not trading Ingram nor Simmons. Especially simmons
Why? it make sense. LA fans do not have the time for a slow rebuild. their GM did say a while back he plans to be back in contention in 3 years. (not that they will, but they will do what they can)

It doesn't really make sense.  The Lakers could always trade Simmons next summer if t made sense to do so, when there are more free agents available.  Trading him now for a star will not make them more palatable for Durant than Golden State, San Antonio, OKC, or even the Celtics.  Better to take Simmons, and hope that Walton can coax enough maturity out of the team to show that they're truly on the rise (win 30-35 games), and then sell that foundation to two free agents next summer who want to play together.

Stephen A. Smith says that it's a lock that DeRozan will be a Laker next year:

He’s made it very, very clear that he wants to be in L.A.,” Smith said of DeRozan’s intentions in free agency. “He has family out there. He’s from out there. He wants to be in L.A."

His Los Angeles area roots are far from a guarantee that he is planning on joining the Lakers this summer, but Stephen A. Smith said on SportsCenter that Derozan is looking to come to Los Angeles in free agency:

“He’s enjoying his last days in Toronto because he’ll be leaving for Los Angeles in a few months anyways,”

So say they sign DeRozan and trade their draft pick for a Cousins, Butler, or even Melo, then, depending on the improvements of Russell and Randle ,on paper they would look like a lower seed playoff team.

Coach Walton
DeRozan
Russell
Clarkson
Randle
Butler, Anthony, or Cousins.

Also this news on free agent to be Harrison Barnes
When it was brought up that Walton might look to install a Warriors-like system and look for a Warriors-like player on the open market to bring with him, Barnes said while laughing Monday on 95.7 The Game, “See, that’s tampering at that point. That’s just tampering.”

That's fine and all.  Maybe they could catch up to Portland with that roster.  But if DeRozan is becoming a Laker no matter what, there's no reason to rush things and make a trade right now.  Keep playing the long game and make a splash next summer when there are more choices.  If they sign DeRozan this summer, all they have to do is dump (or amnesty) Nick Young and they should have room for two max players in 2017.  So they can keep Simmons, have DeRozan, sign Westbrook and Griffin, and also still have Russell, Randle, and Nance.  I guess I'm having them trade Clarkson assuming he's re-signed this summer, but he'll be easy to trade and can bring them more front court talent.

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 09:45:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If this is true it makes it even more important that we pick higher than the Lakers. If both teams are looking to trade for stars, the Lakers offering a number one means the C's would need to pay more to beat that.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2016, 09:45:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
So they will try to trade the pick for a star?  So would the Celtics.  Non story, thanks Cowherd.

And I doubt the Celtics or Lakers would trade Simmons.  I think NBA types feel as high on him as I do (that he's the top player by far with superstar star potential).

But if you are talking getting Cousins back or something who knows.

Man, your post contradicts itself. 

You first think both the Lakers and Cs trade their pick for a star and that should be obvious. Then you backpedal and say you doubt they would trade Simmons even though you previously acted as it was obvious they would. Then you again reverse course and suggest that if it's for Cousins then "who knows".

I don't mean to draw a direct conclusion.  That's the point.

If the pick isn't first, it's obviously in play in my opinion in any trade.

If it's first it might be for a good enough player.

No one knows what the lottery order is.  Whats stars are even actually available.  What the asking price is for any player.  There are so many variables at play that saying "YUP THEY ARE FOR SURE TRADING IT" is a stupid thing to say.  Typical Cowherd.

But remember he's saying what he's been told, not what he thinks. He's also lives in LA so I would gather his sources are pretty strong. Same as when LeBatard reports things he hears about Miami teams it's usually pretty accurate.

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2016, 09:49:22 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

But remember he's saying what he's been told, not what he thinks. He's also lives in LA so I would gather his sources are pretty strong. Same as when LeBatard reports things he hears about Miami teams it's usually pretty accurate.

I think he's only heard what everyone has heard around the Celtics.  They want to get better quickly and would trade the pick if there's a real star available.  It's not reporting anything in my opinion.  It's just a complex issue.  I don't think the Lakers front office is great but I give them enough credit to not say they are trading the pick and that's that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 01:19:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So maybe it plays out his way.  If the Lakers feel they can sign a big FA, then they will be in the win-now mode, not developing around draft picks.  Trade for Cousins, sign Durant and DeRozan, and they are immediately back in business.  Probably this is their Plan A.

The tricky part is timing.  The lottery and draft happen before they know for sure who they will be able to sign.  So do you trade for Cousins and hope for the best?  Do you make the pick and then do the trade only after you sign the star you want?

I guess it is not a big surprise that LA would want to get better now by trading the pick.  And they probably can get Cousins if they want to.  They wiffed on LaMarcus Aldridge though and Durant doesn't seem like the LA type either.  Imagine if they trade the pick and end up with Cousins and only DeRozan.  That may not be a playoff team.

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
here's hoping Philly gets their pick.  45% chance of happening.

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2016, 01:57:22 PM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
Jack Nicholson is getting too old to wait for a full rebuild :)

Rak

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2016, 01:58:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
It wouldn't necessarily surprise me but I think it would be dumb.

Lakers have always been a rather impatient organization and certainly have microwaved themselves back into relevancy plenty of times over the years.  Certainly an eagerness to rush back to contendership.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Bus has to win now lol or he's fired

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If the Lakers are in "win now!" mode, why did they hire a rookie head coach?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2016, 02:35:41 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Really? You'd rather to give Philly - a team in our DIVISION - another top pick rather than the Lakers - who is in the other CONFERENCE - keeping it?

No. Just...no.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2016, 02:43:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Really? You'd rather to give Philly - a team in our DIVISION - another top pick rather than the Lakers - who is in the other CONFERENCE - keeping it?

No. Just...no.
this isn't the TWolves we are talking about. We are talking about the Lakers.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

No. Just...no.

17-16 is the only thing that matters (in life). I would rather Philly win 8 championships in a row than for the Lakers to get another 2 (or even one). It's not like it's going wonderfully in Philly right now anyway - they certainly aren't the Wolves.

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

No. Just...no.

Lakers rivalry aside, I have 100x the confidence in LA building a championship team versus Philly, given the same high draft pick.