Author Topic: Rumor: Lakers will trade pick even if they get #1 overall  (Read 8097 times)

Re: Rumor: Lakers will trade pick even if they get #1 overall
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 08:51:05 AM »

Offline bowlingwarnie

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Conspiracy me has them getting the No.1 pick and rebuilding fast somehow
Hurumph  :-\

I freaking hate conspiracy me - get the $%^&# out conspiracy me
why Johnny Ringo...
You look like somebody just walked over your grave

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So hypothetically, they trade the 1 to the Kings for Cousins and then package Russell and Randle for Westbrook and then sign Durant in free agency.  Fill in the rest of the roster with role players and veterans.

Hypothetically, sure.  But I don't think the Thunder are trading Westbrook for Russell and Randle outside of a hypothesis.  If they want to trade Westbrook, I think they could find a better offer.

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 08:51:23 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
So hypothetically, they trade the 1 to the Kings for Cousins and then package Russell and Randle for Westbrook and then sign Durant in free agency.  Fill in the rest of the roster with role players and veterans.

Barf. I hope not.

Kings will want more than #1/#2 for Cousins so that means Randle or Russel. That then messes with any chance at Westbrook and I'm sure KD would rather go elsewhere than play with Cousins and a bunch of scrubs.

It doesn't matter because the Lakers pick will drop to #4 and then they lose the biggest asset. If I'm the Lakers I'm on edge until the 17th. Ya we get a great chance at a top 3 or #1 pick but we also have a decent chance to get NOTHING. Great development season with a consolation prize at the end!
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
There is a very real chance this pick ends up conveying to Philly (a 44.2% chance to be specific).  It is only top 3 protected.  How bad will the Lakers look if that happens.  It is presumptuous for them to be talking about whether or not they would trade the pick.

Even if the Celtics get the #1 pick, you will always be open to trading it but that is different than looking to trade it.  I am sure the Lakers or any team would consider trades, maybe even prefer to trade for an established player but those kinds of deals are hard to craft.

I suspect the Cavs regret trading Wiggins in the Love deal but I guess if the Lakers get someone of Love's caliber or better, it could turn out to be a good deal for them.

I think all of us in Boston are hoping they get 'Jeff Greened' rather than 'Kevin Duranted' (same draft odds as us in that draft). And in that case, they get absolutely nothing. I have no love for Philly, but the Lakers reach a different kind-of disdain. We both began tanking at the same time - we got Smart, they got Randle. Yet, they just continue to crap the bed and rack up more top prospects for the future.

I hope they crash and burn.

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 09:05:49 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
False rumor if you ask me. Lakers are not trading Ingram nor Simmons. Especially simmons
Why? it make sense. LA fans do not have the time for a slow rebuild. their GM did say a while back he plans to be back in contention in 3 years. (not that they will, but they will do what they can)

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 09:11:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think they'll try.

I'm skeptical they'll get the star player they covet.

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 09:15:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
False rumor if you ask me. Lakers are not trading Ingram nor Simmons. Especially simmons
Why? it make sense. LA fans do not have the time for a slow rebuild. their GM did say a while back he plans to be back in contention in 3 years. (not that they will, but they will do what they can)

It doesn't really make sense.  The Lakers could always trade Simmons next summer if t made sense to do so, when there are more free agents available.  Trading him now for a star will not make them more palatable for Durant than Golden State, San Antonio, OKC, or even the Celtics.  Better to take Simmons, and hope that Walton can coax enough maturity out of the team to show that they're truly on the rise (win 30-35 games), and then sell that foundation to two free agents next summer who want to play together.

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:01 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
They could trade #1 for DeMarcus Cousins and see if Luke Walton can tame him.
Wouldn't surprise me to see them roll the dice.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
That is about the dumbest thing a franchise could say.  Here's hoping we end up with the 1st pick and the Lakers with the 4th pick (which they would be required to send to Philly).

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
There is a very real chance this pick ends up conveying to Philly (a 44.2% chance to be specific).  It is only top 3 protected.  How bad will the Lakers look if that happens.  It is presumptuous for them to be talking about whether or not they would trade the pick.

Even if the Celtics get the #1 pick, you will always be open to trading it but that is different than looking to trade it.  I am sure the Lakers or any team would consider trades, maybe even prefer to trade for an established player but those kinds of deals are hard to craft.

I suspect the Cavs regret trading Wiggins in the Love deal but I guess if the Lakers get someone of Love's caliber or better, it could turn out to be a good deal for them.

I think all of us in Boston are hoping they get 'Jeff Greened' rather than 'Kevin Duranted' (same draft odds as us in that draft). And in that case, they get absolutely nothing. I have no love for Philly, but the Lakers reach a different kind-of disdain. We both began tanking at the same time - we got Smart, they got Randle. Yet, they just continue to crap the bed and rack up more top prospects for the future.

I hope they crash and burn.

Philly and Minny would be the teams of the future!

Hield/Murray/Dunn, Simmons, Okafor, Noel, Embiid

Only Philly could screw that up.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
So they will try to trade the pick for a star?  So would the Celtics.  Non story, thanks Cowherd.

And I doubt the Celtics or Lakers would trade Simmons.  I think NBA types feel as high on him as I do (that he's the top player by far with superstar star potential).

But if you are talking getting Cousins back or something who knows.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 09:25:34 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Hypothetically, sure.  But I don't think the Thunder are trading Westbrook for Russell and Randle outside of a hypothesis.  If they want to trade Westbrook, I think they could find a better offer.
Obviously if KD returns, RW is staying put, but if KD leaves, I do think the Thunder will be looking at a reboot and selling off assets since RW is a free agent next summer.  Given, I think they go into full bore rebuilding, I actually think Randle and Russell for Westbrook isn't a bad return, depending of course on what they think of them.  I mean Russell was the most recent #2 pick and played fairly well down the stretch on a terrible team.  Randle was basically a rookie and showed flashes of why he was a top 7 pick.  I think other pieces/future assets will be in play (but the meat will be Russell and Randle), but remember RW is a pending free agent with no guarantee he re-signs which hurts his value some (it is also why I think the Kings end up trading Cousins this summer). 

Again no way the Thunder move RW unless they lose KD, then I think all bets are off and I would actually be surprised if the Thunder don't move RW.  The Lakers of course would be competing with Philly (they would only do that if they made other moves to improve the team), Boston, the Clippers (you know a Russ for Griffin type trade where Russ ends up at SG next to Paul), and maybe one or two others (the Knicks if they go into win now mode - trade centered on Porzingis, the Wolves theoretically have the assets even outside of Wiggins and KAT - though it might take Wiggins, etc.).  Not sure many other teams will be in play given the cost it will take to acquire RW and given he only has 1 year left so the team still needs to be good enough to encourage RW to stay. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

It doesn't really make sense.  The Lakers could always trade Simmons next summer if t made sense to do so, when there are more free agents available.  Trading him now for a star will not make them more palatable for Durant than Golden State, San Antonio, OKC, or even the Celtics.  Better to take Simmons, and hope that Walton can coax enough maturity out of the team to show that they're truly on the rise (win 30-35 games), and then sell that foundation to two free agents next summer who want to play together.

Stephen A. Smith says that it's a lock that DeRozan will be a Laker next year:

He’s made it very, very clear that he wants to be in L.A.,” Smith said of DeRozan’s intentions in free agency. “He has family out there. He’s from out there. He wants to be in L.A."

His Los Angeles area roots are far from a guarantee that he is planning on joining the Lakers this summer, but Stephen A. Smith said on SportsCenter that Derozan is looking to come to Los Angeles in free agency:

“He’s enjoying his last days in Toronto because he’ll be leaving for Los Angeles in a few months anyways,”

So say they sign DeRozan and trade their draft pick for a Cousins, Butler, or even Melo, then, depending on the improvements of Russell and Randle ,on paper they would look like a lower seed playoff team.

Coach Walton
DeRozan
Russell
Clarkson
Randle
Butler, Anthony, or Cousins.

Also this news on free agent to be Harrison Barnes
When it was brought up that Walton might look to install a Warriors-like system and look for a Warriors-like player on the open market to bring with him, Barnes said while laughing Monday on 95.7 The Game, “See, that’s tampering at that point. That’s just tampering.”

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2016, 09:29:29 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Conspiracy me has them getting the No.1 pick and rebuilding fast somehow
Hurumph  :-\

I freaking hate conspiracy me - get the $%^&# out conspiracy me

The Lakers always are a threat to immediately sign any FA because they're the Lakers.  Conspiracy you is right.

Luckily last time that happened it was one of the worst disasters in NBA history.  But it could of course work out a lot better than that.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2016, 09:34:42 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
So they will try to trade the pick for a star?  So would the Celtics.  Non story, thanks Cowherd.

And I doubt the Celtics or Lakers would trade Simmons.  I think NBA types feel as high on him as I do (that he's the top player by far with superstar star potential).

But if you are talking getting Cousins back or something who knows.

Man, your post contradicts itself. 

You first think both the Lakers and Cs trade their pick for a star and that should be obvious. Then you backpedal and say you doubt they would trade Simmons even though you previously acted as it was obvious they would. Then you again reverse course and suggest that if it's for Cousins then "who knows".