Author Topic: Dragan Bender 2016?  (Read 3753 times)

Re: Dragan Bender 2016?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 10:09:13 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
He doesn't seem to play anywhere, including where he is in Israel.

What a horrific mistake he would be as a draft pick.

Just curious, Coach.  What was your opinion of Porzingis going into the draft the last two years?  Honest question.

Love Porzingis.

There is zero accurate comparison between him and this stiff Bender.

There's a little bit more to making it in the association besides being tall, and being mistakenly targeted at 15.

Bender is a poor man's Yi - who we all know Ainge was infatuated with.

And remind me. How many all-stars teams has Why made?

If Ainge takes Bender in the lottery, it will be the worst draft pick in Celtics history.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 10:57:34 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Just curious, Coach.  What was your opinion of Porzingis going into the draft the last two years?  Honest question.

Love Porzingis.

There's a little bit more to making it in the association besides being tall, and being mistakenly targeted at 15.

If Ainge takes Bender in the lottery, it will be the worst draft pick in Celtics history.

I don't normally agree with you Coach, but here, I couldn't agree more. I know I said I'd review Bender again before calling him a bust, but I just don't see what the hype is about.  I really don't.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2016, 11:20:14 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Put me down as  AGAINST. Drafting this guy with the Nets pick . 

I d take him with Mavs pick or our own .

the most value for the Nets pick is in a trade for Cousins .

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Love Porzingis.

Comparing Bender to Yi? Really? And the comparison with Porzingis has been, is and will always be lazy. They are both European and tall, that's it!!!

Porzingis is a half court player, Bender likes to run and gun. Bender is an energy player who has an improving shot, quick feet for a player of his size and a well documented fierce work ethic.

He's been on the radar for a reason, it's exactly the same as when American kids get branded the next superstar in High School. People in Europe actually get to see these players before they come to the NBA, they aren't coming from the Arctic...

I get it, he hasn't played much this year. That doesn't mean he's a definite to be a bust. It means he struggled with injuries, his coach prefers playing vets, they have a shorter season. It's hardly unheard of for Euro players to play less before coming to the NBA. Classic case from last year was Hezonja. What people often ignore is the difference between the Euro clubs and the NCAA. In the NCAA they get a lot of money from attracting these high end recruits, so they are going to end up playing them. In Euro basketball (and this pretty much goes for all sports in Europe, not just basketball) there is just Pro. You turn 16 and the best go pro. Rarely do they waltz into the senior team. Why? Because they are so young, why would the coach play them? Unless you have the next Lionel Messi on your hands its likely you can trust your vets who have seen it all and the kid ends up fighting for bench minutes.

The system is so different from the NCAA where you are basically the unpaid main act for the circus before you're finally allowed to make money for yourself. You have to understand that before you make direct comparisons between the Euro guys and the NCAA guys.

Jennings is an example. he played 18mpg for Roma in the Euroleague and Lega Basket. If he had stayed in the USA I expect he would have gotten far more minutes than that. It's just the nature of the game in Europe

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Love Porzingis.

Did you love Porzingis in 2014, when we were considering drafting him (before he opted out of draft)? I know you were on this board then. I'm sure you weighed in on him.  It's easy to love him now.  I am not saying that Bender will turn out like Porzingis--I am skeptical as well--but you have such strong views of Bender now prior to the draft. Just curious.

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Put me down as  AGAINST. Drafting this guy with the Nets pick . 

I d take him with Mavs pick or our own .

the most value for the Nets pick is in a trade for Cousins .

No kidding. But that is very unlikely to happen. Especially if we end up with 3rd pick.  Who would you draft in that case?

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 12:26:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
From what I have seen and read, the Mirotic comparisons look good. Mirotic with length

Mirotic is not really a PF or sf.    Defensively can't guard either positions particularly well

If bender is projected to be a stretch 4, he has ways to go. Especially on the defensive end.

Risky pick

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 12:44:41 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 01:17:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Love Porzingis.

it would take a lot to beat out len bias for that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 01:23:47 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2016, 06:28:02 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If we draft him, it seems like his skill set is too similar to Olynyk's which would make him redundant. From what I have seen Bender is a more fluid athlete than Olynyk, rendering him expendable.

I don't think he is redundant at all.  I look at Bender as a guy who is projected to be a possible plus defender at multiple positions who also happens to have three-point potential.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 07:02:32 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Can we quit the Porzingas comparison here are their stats

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=003695#!careerstats

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=004549&seasoncode=U2015

Rankings of Bender

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=004549&seasoncode=U2015#!ranks

NOT TOP 25 in any category.

Career highs of Bender

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=004549&seasoncode=U2015#!highs

of Porzingas

http://www.eurocupbasketball.com/eurocup/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=003695#!highs

Porzingis is a half court player, Bender likes to run and gun. Bender is an energy player who has an improving shot, quick feet for a player of his size and a well documented fierce work ethic.

Bender does not produce well at all.   For you to pretend he is an energy player that contributes is silly.

his are his Tel Aviv Stats

http://basket.co.il/PlayerPage.asp?PlayerNumber=03&TeamId=950&cYear=2016&cView=2&lang=en

How can you say after seeing these that he produces much at any level with a straight face?

Here are his rankings in that league

http://basket.co.il/PlayerPage.asp?PlayerNumber=03&TeamId=950&cYear=2016&cView=7&lang=en

Player Ranking in Stats Categories

Ranks #69 in Effiency (5.6)
Ranks #70 in Points Per Game (5.5)
Ranks #61 in Rebounds Per Game (2.7)
Ranks #76 in Steals Per Game (0.6)
Ranks #90 in Turnovers Per Game (0.6)
Ranks #12 in Blocks Per Game (0.8)
Ranks #9 in 3-Pts Percentage (41.1%)

Not good at all, and this is not top level competition.   Ainge won't make this mistake you can rest assured folks.

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I guess, for those opposed to taking him, the good thing is that Danny doesn't appear to be a huge fan of international players. Who was the last international guy we drafted?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2016, 08:40:39 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Celtics4Ever you keep bringing up those stats completely ignoring the minutes played. I ask again, on a per minute basis where does he sit? Or does that ruin your argument?

The Porzingis argument is flawed firstly because they aren't similar prospects and secondly because Porzingis played an extra year in Europe. If bender played another year I'd expect a step forward from him too.

I don't expect him to be as good as Porzingis necessarily, I do expect him to be the 3rd best player in this draft. It's a weaker draft, if any of the top 4 from 2015 were in this draft I think they'd go top (bar Russell maybe)

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2016, 08:44:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There are plenty of reasons a small team in Israel might not play their 18 year old phenom.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip