Author Topic: The Three Players the Celts Must Add This Summer  (Read 6582 times)

Re: The Three Players the Celts Must Add This Summer
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 10:35:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Faried makes for an intriguing target for a rebounder, on both sides of the court. He also sports a high eFG, even though he attempts no shots outside the paint. The anti-Sullinger?

As a PF, he bucks the current trend of stretchy 4s who can hit from deep. But as a frontcourt complement to a guy like Olynyk, I think he'd be a good fit. I'd like to see what Stevens could get out of him. And I think Faried would absolutely love to play with guys like Bradley, Smart, Crowder, and IT.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 10:41:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I love Faried. Unappreciated player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2016, 10:48:32 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

Also, if we're considering an elder statesman like Deng (and I'm not saying we shouldn't), why not consider Pau Gasol at C on a short deal? Top-ten in rebounding this past season (top-five in defensive rebounds), gifted passer, has some range to his shot.

I don't know if he'd consider Boston, TBH. He might want to join a team closer to contending.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2016, 10:49:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think Pau could make some sense as a short term option. He and Deng or Amir could work well together. That said, his scoring efficiency hasn't been great for a while and he's a mixed bag defensively. I've always liked Pau though.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2016, 11:41:50 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
We might be better off adding nobody.

Every single mid-tier free agent is going to get overpaid this year. Everyone has capspace, there's a ton of parity in the Eastern conference, and there is a severe lack of top-tier and second-tier talent on the market. Even *relative to the new cap*, players are going to get paid too much. So I hope we do not sign anybody to a long-term deal; retain flexibility for next year, when there's a long list of stars and superstars to be had.

We should start by retaining Amir and Jerebko, who are on bargain contracts. Then we could offer one-year contracts to Sully, Turner, or others. We could also make a trade, maybe for someone like Thaddeus Young, who would replace Sully, or Nikola Mirotic, who would replace Jerebko. But the priority should be retaining flexibility for 2017.

At some point, retaining flexibility year after year is just a way of continuing to string along fans with the hope of the potential home run.

I don't think retaining Sully, Turner, or Zeller for just one or two years is likely to be a good option, because as you say the demand for free agents will greatly exceed the supply of high quality free agents.

If you want to just punt on free agency that's fine.  There are some decent trade options.  Everybody I listed with an asterisk would have to be acquired via trade.

If you want to just let our free agents go, forgo signing anybody to replace them, and develop all of the young guys that will probably make up nearly half the roster next year, that's another option, but one that would probably result in a significant step back in the standings.

Yeah, and I do like some of the trade options that you listed. Swapping draft picks for players in their prime on good contracts is a win right now.  Retaining flexibility isn't about stringing fans along, though. Next year's UFA class has at least five super-max players. Westbrook, Griffin, CP3, Lowry, technically Curry, probably Durant, possibly Lebron. This year's class only has Durant and technically Lebron. Then there's guys who will probably get a max contract, but they may or may not actually be worth it, like Horford, Whiteside and Derozan.

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2016, 12:22:24 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I think Pau could make some sense as a short term option. He and Deng or Amir could work well together. That said, his scoring efficiency hasn't been great for a while and he's a mixed bag defensively. I've always liked Pau though.

I'd like to have Deng; he's rock solid. However, I could never bring myself to root for Pau. I hate that guy with a passion.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2016, 08:55:58 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Mahinmi, please and thank you.

Teletovic interests me, but will likely see a pay raise. Plus, we have Olynyk.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2016, 09:55:40 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
   Bismack Biyombo and Kent Bazemore beacsue their teams may not be able to pay them. Plus you are hurting two teams above you. You don't have to give up assets to get them. Put pressure on them early in FA. I would make a qualifying offer to both Sullinger and Zeller but only bring them back at that price for a year. They will probably be a bargin for us next year.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2016, 12:17:36 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Also, if we're considering an elder statesman like Deng (and I'm not saying we shouldn't), why not consider Pau Gasol at C on a short deal? Top-ten in rebounding this past season (top-five in defensive rebounds), gifted passer, has some range to his shot.

I don't know if he'd consider Boston, TBH. He might want to join a team closer to contending.

I think Marc recently said that Pau should go to SAS.

Even if this were not the case, choosing a contender makes more sense. This is what most veterans of his calibre do.

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2016, 12:42:54 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

I think Marc recently said that Pau should go to SAS.

Even if this were not the case, choosing a contender makes more sense. This is what most veterans of his calibre do.

I wonder if Pau would go to Cleveland.

PG: Kyrie
SG: Shumpert
SF: LeBron
PF: K-Love
 C: Pau

or

PG: Krie
SG: JR Smith
SF: LeBron
PF: T.Thompson
 C: Pau

Pau would give them some pretty interesting options with their big man rotation. Let them keep a skilled big on the floor at all times with either K-Love or Pau. Let them stay big while having two big man shooters to space the floor alongside Love. Or play high post facilitator alongside garbage man Thompson and maintain good spacing.