Author Topic: Mike Conley hints he could leave , Marc Gasol available?  (Read 3402 times)

Mike Conley hints he could leave , Marc Gasol available?
« on: May 03, 2016, 02:24:29 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
1 week ago – via New York Post
Conley added Memphis center Marc Gasol’s decision last summer to re-sign was “different’’ than his because Memphis had gone deeper last season, losing a tough series to eventual champion Golden State. “This summer will be a fun one for me,” Conley said. “Free agency is new for me. We’ll see how it goes.”

I can see the Knicks or Nets offering him a max contract , Would Mem match ?

And if they don't , I don't see them as a playoff team.

Marc Gasol would definitely be a draw to Durant IMO .

You can draft someone in the top 5 and wait til free agency to see if Conley leaves, then offer that pick for Gasol if Conley does leave .

If that's the case , I see Gasol much more attainable than Butler or Cousins, when you factor in age .

Re: Mike Conley hints he could leave , Marc Gasol available?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 02:26:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I think Conley is just telling MEM not to take him/anything for granted this summer. This came out shortly after someone in their front office (Chris Wallace?) said something to the effect of, "we resign our own FAs, and Mike Conley will remain a Grrizly."

Unless Memphis really screws things up, I fully expect Conley to stay put.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
1 week ago – via New York Post
Conley added Memphis center Marc Gasol’s decision last summer to re-sign was “different’’ than his because Memphis had gone deeper last season, losing a tough series to eventual champion Golden State. “This summer will be a fun one for me,” Conley said. “Free agency is new for me. We’ll see how it goes.”

I can see the Knicks or Nets offering him a max contract , Would Mem match ?

And if they don't , I don't see them as a playoff team.

Marc Gasol would definitely be a draw to Durant IMO .

You can draft someone in the top 5 and wait til free agency to see if Conley leaves, then offer that pick for Gasol if Conley does leave .

If that's the case , I see Gasol much more attainable than Butler or Cousins, when you factor in age .

Danny has a pretty good relationship with Wallace, too, and Wallace actually owes us a couple after we gifted him Lee and Green for pretty cheap, even though Green didn't really work out.

That being said, I'm not sure if I see Danny offering up anything higher than the three or four pick for Gasol with his age and injury concerns. I'd much rather attempt to trade for Cousins than Gasol at this point, even if it costs significantly more.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:30:39 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've been thinking about this a lot lately:  is it better for our Memphis pick if they re-sign Conley, continuing on the treadmill of mediocrity?  Or are we better off if he leaves?

I sort of hope he signs a max deal to stay.  He seems to be in decline, and by the time our rights to that pick vest (2019 at the earliest), the Griz will hopefully be a pretty bad team, stuck in place due to bad contracts.

Wallace actually owes us a couple after we gifted him Lee and Green for pretty cheap, even though Green didn't really work out.

I don't think we sold Green cheaply at all.  A future #1, eventually unprotected, is a steal for us, I think.  Who knows how bad Memphis will be in 2019 to 2021?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I've been thinking about this a lot lately:  is it better for our Memphis pick if they re-sign Conley, continuing on the treadmill of mediocrity?  Or are we better off if he leaves?

I sort of hope he signs a max deal to stay.  He seems to be in decline, and by the time our rights to that pick vest (2019 at the earliest), the Griz will hopefully be a pretty bad team, stuck in place due to bad contracts.

Wallace actually owes us a couple after we gifted him Lee and Green for pretty cheap, even though Green didn't really work out.

I don't think we sold Green cheaply at all.  A future #1, eventually unprotected, is a steal for us, I think.  Who knows how bad Memphis will be in 2019 to 2021?

What are the protections on that pick ?

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 02:57:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

We get it two years after Memphis sends its #1 to Denver.  The earliest we can receive it is 2019 and the latest is 2021.  Protections are: 2019 (top-8), 2020 (top-6), 2021 (unprotected)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

This is the site I use for future drafts. Easy to navigate.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Mike

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 03:07:22 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Conley is just telling MEM not to take him/anything for granted this summer. This came out shortly after someone in their front office (Chris Wallace?) said something to the effect of, "we resign our own FAs, and Mike Conley will remain a Grrizly."

Unless Memphis really screws things up, I fully expect Conley to stay put.
Tp, completely agree.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 03:15:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't see Conley leaving but I have no doubt both NY teams will throw the max at him to add to existing talent.  Add him with Melo, Porzingis, Lopez and Afflalo and that's a team that will probably be fighting for home court in the playoff chase.  Add him to Lopez and Young in Brooklyn and they're still likely a lottery team but not by a lot --> would lend that franchise some legitimacy for attracting other FAs in the future as well

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 04:07:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just a hypothetical here.  If Mike Conley had interest in signing with Boston as a free agent, what kind of talent do you think Boston could get by trading Isaiah Thomas?

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Just a hypothetical here.  If Mike Conley had interest in signing with Boston as a free agent, what kind of talent do you think Boston could get by trading Isaiah Thomas?

depends on what you package him with .

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 04:09:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Hypothetically, could you trade Thomas to a team desperate for a PG (like Philly for Okafor) and sign Conley to fill the PG void?  Just one random example off the top of my head.

As far as what we could package him with... let's stick with the lesser picks/prospects (#16, #23, Rozier, Hunter, Mickey). 

Could you move Thomas in a package for Melo?  Knicks need a quality PG still, right?

We should also consider the salary issue, though.  Melo makes significantly more than Thomas.  A player like Okafor or Noel works, because they are on rookie contracts and Thomas only makes 6.5 mil per year. 

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 05:14:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Hypothetically, could you trade Thomas to a team desperate for a PG (like Philly for Okafor) and sign Conley to fill the PG void?  Just one random example off the top of my head.

As far as what we could package him with... let's stick with the lesser picks/prospects (#16, #23, Rozier, Hunter, Mickey). 

Could you move Thomas in a package for Melo?  Knicks need a quality PG still, right?

We should also consider the salary issue, though.  Melo makes significantly more than Thomas.  A player like Okafor or Noel works, because they are on rookie contracts and Thomas only makes 6.5 mil per year.
Thomas will not yield either Melo or Okafor, even if you pair him with ALL of those lesser assets.  I think his value isn't much more than it was when Boston acquired him.  I mean probably mid 1st instead of late 1st, but don't think you could get a top ten pick for him without either it being a salary dump or something else going to the team acquiring him.  These playoffs have once again confirmed that Thomas' size will always hold him back. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 05:20:44 PM »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51

Thomas will not yield either Melo or Okafor, even if you pair him with ALL of those lesser assets.  I think his value isn't much more than it was when Boston acquired him.  I mean probably mid 1st instead of late 1st, but don't think you could get a top ten pick for him without either it being a salary dump or something else going to the team acquiring him.  These playoffs have once again confirmed that Thomas' size will always hold him back.

Despite Isaiah's emergence as an all-star this year, I agree that his trade value hasn't improved much since a year and a half ago. He's more valuable to us than any other team by far. Love IT but Bradley, Smart, and Crowder will draw more interest in trades.

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 05:45:04 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I would love Mark Gasol on this team. I also think he is more of a lure for Durant than Cousins or Butler or Horford. I'm guessing any deal would need to involve the Nets pick, their own pick returned and a player like Bradley or Smart. Whether we'd give up all that is another question.

Perhaps in the summer:

Gasol for Nets pick, sign and trade Sullinger to $60m/4yr, MEM 2019 pick, RJ Hunter, a splattering of our plethora of 2nds