Author Topic: I don't think we need Butler to get Durant.  (Read 4795 times)

Re: I don't think we need Butler to get Durant.
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 08:48:16 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
We have a different situation depending on the draft position we get, and while we don't know what that is now, we will know prior to any move.

Our weakest positions currently are the four and five. Signing Durant would mean he would take 35 minutes at the three.

Out of the draftee possibilities, I would think Simmons could become an exciting complement to Durant, so if we get a shot at him, I would hope we just keep him. Simmons would provide a major talent upgrade right away at the four, and playing with Isaiah, Bradley and Durant would make things easy for him. He would make us better immediately.

Ingram can becoming a great player too, but he is incompatible with a Durant signing, so he would need to be traded if we got him.

Bender might work positionally, but it probably isn't great to have rail thin starters at the three and four.

All the other likely possibilities would have to take minutes from a pretty good player, and would likely require an additional trade of Bradley, Smart and/or Crowder to work.

So to me, we get Simmons or its best we trade the pick.

Rejecting Ingram because he is incompatible with KD is a rushed decision IMO. Just draft the bpa and then see what happens. Our chances of signing KD are p small anyway.

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 09:41:39 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
We have a different situation depending on the draft position we get, and while we don't know what that is now, we will know prior to any move.

Our weakest positions currently are the four and five. Signing Durant would mean he would take 35 minutes at the three.

Out of the draftee possibilities, I would think Simmons could become an exciting complement to Durant, so if we get a shot at him, I would hope we just keep him. Simmons would provide a major talent upgrade right away at the four, and playing with Isaiah, Bradley and Durant would make things easy for him. He would make us better immediately.

Ingram can becoming a great player too, but he is incompatible with a Durant signing, so he would need to be traded if we got him.

Bender might work positionally, but it probably isn't great to have rail thin starters at the three and four.

All the other likely possibilities would have to take minutes from a pretty good player, and would likely require an additional trade of Bradley, Smart and/or Crowder to work.

So to me, we get Simmons or its best we trade the pick.

Rejecting Ingram because he is incompatible with KD is a rushed decision IMO. Just draft the bpa and then see what happens. Our chances of signing KD are p small anyway.
I agree there. There are just so many SF's playing PF in the NBA right now, Durant can definitely spent some time at that position more than he has.

I also think that Ingram is going to take some seasoning (I think he's a full year younger than Simmons) which means he'll be an ideal backup SF for a year, and can even spend some time at the 2 in certain matchups.

I'd take Simmons #1 but if we have a good shot at KD and we have the #2 pick, I'd still take Ingram. The more I think about it, the more this is what I really want.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2016, 05:13:46 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
http://www.celticshub.com/2016/05/02/navigating-the-offseason/

One of the biggest points he makes is that Boston would be taking a bit of a risk since any Butler trade is most likely to happen on draft night and draft night is weeks before we can officially talk to Durant.  His hypothetical trade offer was the Brooklyn 1st, Avery Bradley, Marcus Smart, RJ Hunter, and James Young for Jimmy Butler.

I can't believe that any legitimate Celtics fan or basketball writer would propose such an insanely lop-sided trade. 

I am in general agreement with you LarBrd33.  I would much rather keep our players, keep our pick (especially if it's top 2), and sign Horford to a 4-year max deal than trade away most of our future for Jimmy Butler.  Why is everyone so obsessed with Butler all of a sudden?  He is a good player but PLEASE he is no Ray Allen.

I will also note here that I don't think Durant is going to leave OKC.  So trading all of that with the idea that Durant is going to follow is basically asking for a miracle.
The price will be steep for him.  I've actually seen someone suggest the price might be Bradley + Crowder + the Brooklyn pick + Smart + a future Brooklyn pick.

Butler is overrated right now.  Also, another point I brought up in my article was that I think people are basing their perception of star trade value on the Andrew Wiggins/Kevin Love move.  Normally, you don't give up a phenom prospect in a trade for a star.  That only happened because of the LeBron situation.

But Wiggins was all that Cleveland gave up in hindsight.  There is no way they would have traded the likes of Bradley and/or Smart, plus Wiggins, for Love.  More importantly, look at that Cleveland trade now:  does anyone think that was a good trade for them?

Butler is way overrated on this board and it's only because of media speculation that he will be traded and that he is enough to get Durant to come here.