Author Topic: Tim Duncan is done  (Read 6419 times)

Re: Tim Duncan is done
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »

Offline Smart457

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Yeah, really what everyone has said already. Timmy isn't out there to score. He's out there to defend, set screens, and rebound.  He's doing that pretty effectively.
Exactly. Duncan is still one of the best bigs as a help defender. It's really a thing of beauty to watch how he always knows when to release from his man and slide over. So many times you see bigs that get so confused. They over commit or they're too unsure if they should step over and show too late. Duncan has this mastered.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I would still take Duncan over any of our bigs.

I'd still take Duncan over all but maybe 6-7 bigs in the entire league.

His influence on the Spurs record and game plan can not be overlooked in any way.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 11:50:04 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
there is more to his game than scoring points. Like defense and stuff.

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
I hope he waits another year just so his hall of fame induction isn't a side note to Kobe's.  He doesn't deserve that.

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I hope he waits another year just so his hall of fame induction isn't a side note to Kobe's.  He doesn't deserve that.
Why would his be a side note?  Duncan is the better player with a more accomplished career. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:18:24 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

Why would his be a side note?  Duncan is the better player with a more accomplished career. 

I agree 100% but to the casual fans who the NBA and TV networks cater to Kobe had the sexier career.  I just think they'd play up his career more in the coverage leading up to the actual ceremony.  Robinson and Stockton went in with Jordan but he's all anyone really talked about (even before his speech).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 02:26:59 PM by RMO »

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 05:16:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I agree 100% but to the casual fans who the NBA and TV networks cater to Kobe had the sexier career.  I just think they'd play up his career more in the coverage leading up to the actual ceremony.  Robinson and Stockton went in with Jordan but he's all anyone really talked about (even before his speech).
well Jordan is better than Robinson and Stockton so that isn't surprising.  Duncan is better than Kobe though.  Kobe probably gets a bit more coverage because he is a better media story, but Duncan would be far from a sidenote.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Kobe gets far far more media attention than Duncan, even if Duncan was the much better player.  I would also prefer the focus to be predominately on Timmy, although he would prefer to fly under the radar.

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 05:26:21 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
no reason to jump to conclusions after reading the stat line of a single game...

Duncan can still contribute when needed

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 05:35:56 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

well Jordan is better than Robinson and Stockton so that isn't surprising.  Duncan is better than Kobe though.  Kobe probably gets a bit more coverage because he is a better media story, but Duncan would be far from a sidenote.

Does anybody even make a big deal out of the Hall of Fame ceremony to begin with?  Is it even on TV?

Edit: I guess it is on TV, last year you could watch it on NBA TV or live-stream it on NBA.com.  At 6:30pm EST on a Friday night.  It's not even on prime time on a major channel on a major viewing day!  The ceremony is about the furthest thing there is from a big deal, it probably competes with the actually ping pong balls being drawn for most viewers.

Serious question, has anybody here (from I what I imagine is a pool of mostly hardcore basketball fans) ever watched the HOF ceremony live before or in it's entirety?

I think it will be hard to get upstaged by Kobe when nobody is watching to begin with.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2016, 06:01:45 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I hope Duncan, Pierce and KG all retire this season if only to provide the comparison of their retirements to the Kobe farewell tour.   Kobe is no greater NBA star than either TD or KG and to see the Big Fundamental and Big Ticket go out at least with the appearance of humility would be a perfect juxtaposition to the marathon of attention garnered by Kobe.   He really needed it, poor guy.

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2016, 06:40:34 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Im not basing this on a single game. The guy is only averaging 5PPG in the post season. Its clearly evident that he already lost his hop. He couldn't even score on an open basket. Robinson retired with the similar stats Duncan is posting right now.

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2016, 07:14:44 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Im not basing this on a single game. The guy is only averaging 5PPG in the post season. Its clearly evident that he already lost his hop. He couldn't even score on an open basket. Robinson retired with the similar stats Duncan is posting right now.
And he retired as a champion!

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 07:28:56 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Dude still knows how to play team basketball. He has the 2nd highest rpm on the Spurs to Leonard and the 2nd highest center in the league. He is also the 2nd highest drpm in the league.

He is being phased out, but that doesn't mean he is not helping his team win. Don't look at PPG as the barometer of his effectiveness. His team is 5-1 over the last 6.

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 08:05:55 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think he's still amazingly effective for being 40, but he is 40. His defense is still really good if not highlight-worthy, and he doesn't seem like a detriment on offense; you don't see the other team helping off him too much. I remember that when he was out earlier this year, their defense suffered badly.

I'm rooting for Timmy to get another ring.