Author Topic: Tim Duncan is done  (Read 6377 times)

Tim Duncan is done
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The guys was just 2 pts with 1/8 shooting. He can now hardly finish off the rim. Seems like father time is catching up with his legs. This season, he is only averaging 8PPG under 25 minutes and only 5PPG so far in the post season. I won't be surprised if he decides to hang em up whether the spurs win or not this season.

Re: Tim Duncan is done
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:26:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The guys was just 2 pts with 1/8 shooting. He can now hardly finish off the rim. Seems like father time is catching up with his legs. This season, he is only averaging 8PPG under 25 minutes and only 5PPG so far in the post season. I won't be surprised if he decides to hang em up whether the spurs win or not this season.

Yup.

Or next year as his last

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 07:35:12 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Don't give up on him yet.  He is no longer the focal point on offense.  His game is based on brains, skill and team play not athleticism.  If they need a big game out of him he'll deliver.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 07:45:42 AM »

Offline Sievers81

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
He's a locker room guy who can still contribute in limited minutes, did you even watch the first game? Even better he knows his role and will do whatever Popovich asks of him.

The guy is 40, I think some people underestimate just how crazy that is for what he means to this team.

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:51 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

For a second, I think we were taking about Sullinger....

Duncan is old, and this is to be expected.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 08:09:11 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Tim Duncan turned 40 on April 25th.  Maybe that had psychological effect on him.  OKC is a tough team when they have everyone (which they currently do).  This should be a very tough series.  I expect Duncan will have some big games or at least big moments along the way.  But he is also going to have games where his body just doesn't respond.

If he plays next season, he would probably be in the top half of the league for starting centers.  That is not bad and of course he is a perfect fit for the Spurs in terms of style of play.  He would still help the Spurs albeit in limited minutes (he averaged 25 min/g in 61 games), but that is pretty much what you get out of the center position other than the upper tier players.

He may decide he is done and who would blame him but it seems a bit reactionary to write his obituary after one bad game.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 08:35:43 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Just remember, scoring isn't everything (especially when one of your teammates goes off for 41), he did lead his team in rebounding, and is still averaging 9/10/3/2.5 per 36 in the playoffs.

I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs it up after this season either, but he's still pretty effective in his reduced minutes.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 08:38:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would still take Duncan over any of our bigs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 08:44:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
He's 40.  He's still a no stats All Star at times. Has a positive impact on the game more often than not.

I agree with Roy. I'd rather give minutes to Timmy Dunks than any of our guys.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 08:49:39 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The good part is that ignoble is aging along with him so maybe Durant doesn't head there and gives us a still slim chance but a better chance if he DOES leave. I personally think he's gonna end up playing his whole career in okc.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He's 40.  He's still a no stats All Star at times. Has a positive impact on the game more often than not.

I agree with Roy. I'd rather give minutes to Timmy Dunks than any of our guys.

I like the "no stats All Star" description.

I was never really a believer that guys could have a huge impact on the game without putting up at least solid statistical production. I was wrong. Guys like Duncan and especially Iguodala are special players who make their teams much better, regardless of mediocre statistics.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 08:59:55 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
eventually HGH stops working

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:04:23 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
eventually HGH stops working

That must be what Dirk is using, too. It can't just be great genetics and fundamental basketball skills.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 09:12:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I wouldn't be surprised if he hangs it up after this season either, but he's still pretty effective in his reduced minutes.
if there was someone who really deserved a farewell tour this season if it's his last, it was Timmy, not Kobe.

4 big-time players could be hanging it up after this season: Kobe (definite), KG (possible), Timmy (possible) and PP (less likely but he's about out of gas).

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Yeah, really what everyone has said already. Timmy isn't out there to score. He's out there to defend, set screens, and rebound.  He's doing that pretty effectively.