Author Topic: Don't want Horford anymore  (Read 3140 times)

Don't want Horford anymore
« on: May 02, 2016, 08:56:01 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Especially at a full max

The guy is slowing down as he ages , isn't a great shooter either . I don't think he should be a main target .....

Re: Don't want Horford anymore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I've never wanted him. I've taken it as a given that 1 out of 30 teams will give him the max and with our whole team so young I'm reluctant to give it to a guy I view on the slow decline. I'd rather wait even if it was the next year.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 09:17:53 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I never wanted him for max contract anyway. I would take him for a reasonable price though.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 09:39:51 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I never wanted him either.
Only a few are worth the max money.
Very few.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:08:09 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Agree with OP

I was never crazy about him to,start with.

Les so now.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:14:36 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I would give him a deal if it meant that Durant would sign here.  Basically, if Danny can slip some messages to him in a collusive manner and not get caught, then Durant relays back that he would want to play with Horford, I would do it.  Otherwise, meh. 

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:29:30 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15
I really don't understand how he was supposed to be one of the missing keys to us succeeding anyway.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 12:44:29 AM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Never wanted to give him a max contract...even more so now

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 01:56:15 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Deal for Butler or Cousins on draft night...Sign Durant...sign Pau Gasol....still money left over.

Sign Teletovic, Mozgov or Mahinmi
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 02:11:35 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I would give him a deal if it meant that Durant would sign here.  Basically, if Danny can slip some messages to him in a collusive manner and not get caught, then Durant relays back that he would want to play with Horford, I would do it.  Otherwise, meh.

He's not the key to signing Durant. Ask Phoenix how that approach went...

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 02:17:58 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

This is a VERY important point. Phoenix is now stuck with T. Chandler bc they thought getting Tyson would lead to getting Aldridge. While there may or may not have been rumors about this, the fact of the matter is that they didn't get Aldridge.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Horford is an excellent passer and shooter for his size. The real concern is his age.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 08:34:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This is a VERY important point. Phoenix is now stuck with T. Chandler bc they thought getting Tyson would lead to getting Aldridge. While there may or may not have been rumors about this, the fact of the matter is that they didn't get Aldridge.
The difference is that Horford still has 3-4 good years left while Chandler is nearly done. In any case, I agree with the larger point that he is not a main target but a piece you put around a superstar. Horford is a solid NBA pro and would be good for the locker room.

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 07:24:43 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Not once did I understand why anybody would see Horford as a main target.

In his prime he was a bordeline all-star who would have made for a really good 2nd (or great 3rd) option on a contender.

He's since significantly declined to the point where he is now only really good enough to be a good starter on contender, or a solid second option on a weak playoff team.

He's the guy you add it you are somebody like San Antonio, Cleveland, etc.  When you're a team who has a really strong foundation set with a big star or two, and you need a solid and dependable veteran to throw in their just to polish out the lineup.

He's not a guy you go for if you are a star-less young team who needs a start to build your future team around.

The difference is that Horford still has 3-4 good years left while Chandler is nearly done. In any case, I agree with the larger point that he is not a main target but a piece you put around a superstar. Horford is a solid NBA pro and would be good for the locker room.

Horford has probably 2 good years left in him, if that, before his game drops off a cliff.  He'll be a struggling role player before you know it.

Horford's greatest strength is that he doesn't have a greatest strength.  He's an all rounder, not really great at anything.  He's a good guy to add when you have a team full of very good pieces who just needs one more solid piece to add in, who can do a little bit of everything.  He'd be fantastic alongside Aldridge in San Antonio.  Or next to Draymond Green in Golden State.  Or next to Kevin Love in Cleveland. 

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 05:46:55 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
The rationale for signing Horford is not about whether he is 'worth the max' or not, it is this:

- Sullinger will likely get a high bid on the market.  If Tristan Thompson is worth $14M, Sully has to be worth at least half that, if not closer to $10M.

- Amir Johnson is under contract for $12M.

Those were our best 'bigs' last year.  Resigning/keeping both is going to cost us at least $20M.  Now ask yourself this: 

Would you rather resign those two, or would you rather spend that on Horford (who is comparable in age/seasons to Amir, and better) and let someone like Jordan Mickey get more minutes, and maybe also Jerebko?

It is a legitimate question, and one could argue that the former choice makes this team better.